General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

2 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Hopefully if the rumours are true we will be playing in Copa America in 2024  

@Ansem Additionally, if we do play in this, success for me is getting of the group stage. That alone would be a big step forward, as Copa America is the only competition we can play in that comes somewhat close to replicating the World Cup. 

Just now, Obinna said:

@Ansem Additionally, if we do play in this, success for me is getting of the group stage. That alone would be a big step forward, as Copa America is the only competition we can play in that comes somewhat close to replicating the World Cup. 

This is the weakest Mexican team I can remember, this region is wide open - just have to beat the US at home since virtually every cup game is on their turf

2 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

For sure a “Big club”
1: Arsenal 2:Liverpool 3:Tottenham 4: ManU 5:Man city 6: Chelsea 7: Ac Milan 8: Inter Milan 9: Juventes 10: PSG 11: Bayern Munich 12: Real Madrid 13: Barcelona 14: Ath. Madrid

Great list. Recent signings for each team where David plays.
1. Arsenal...Jesus
2. Liverpool...Nunes
3. Spurs...Richarlison
4. Man U....empty
5. Man City....Haaland
6. Chelsea...Nkunku
7. AC Milan....Origi...empty
8. Inter....Lukaku (also have Djeko, Martinez)
9. Juventus....Vhalovic (big money)
10. PSG....Ekitike (prospect)
11. Bayern.....empty
12. Madrid.....empty
13. Barcelona...Old man Lew
14. Ateltico....Cunha (also have Correa)

Things change every transfer window for some clubs...but some guys have to make moves before a guy like David would join. 

Real would be a perfect spot for him, and nice long term replacement for the breaking down bad boy benz

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Thanks I read that wrong - Anything less than 6 points is a disappointment for sure

For sure, but as long as we get 4 points we go through. That's all that ultimately matters.

Honduras and Curacao only have one game left to play, and although we are favrouites playing on the road is never easy and Honduras are never easy. Dropping points would not shock me, but failing to go through would. That would be devistating for the program coming off the World Cup. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I would basically agree, although I would consider it a success if we make the finals of Gold Cup and Nations League and lose both. Making the final for just one doesn't feel like a big enough step forward, although maybe that's an unfair expectation for this group? Curious to know what others think.

Right now, we can tango with Mexico but the US is going to pull away from the pack if they play to their potential. Tyler Adams is a stud and his leadership may bring the team together. We need to keep producing high end talent over the next 4 yrs if we want to be #2 or challenge for #1

4 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Hopefully if the rumours are true we will be playing in Copa America in 2024  

I would love that for Canada personally because we get to test ourselves against South American opposition going up against real heavyweights like Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Chile, etc  and again also helps us prepare for 2026

30 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Right now, we can tango with Mexico but the US is going to pull away from the pack if they play to their potential. Tyler Adams is a stud and his leadership may bring the team together. We need to keep producing high end talent over the next 4 yrs if we want to be #2 or challenge for #1

This is why failing to advance is damaging. That one extra game, a knockout game, would have meant an awful lot in terms of development. The Americans get this chance now, and we don't.

Of equal importance are the potential transfers players get the deeper they go into tournaments.

The boys did their best and were always the long shots in this group, but it was all within our grasp versus Belgium. Even playing Morocco in a game that matters would have been a big experience, regardless the result.

As it were though, we failed in that goal. That's alright. At least we have the chance now to simply go out and play, without pressure, and hopefully without nerves. Maybe the lack of pressure will see us find our sharpness, find some goals, and get our first points in history. That will be a good note to end on. 

By the way, don't know if this has been mentioned, but I believe we can technically finish 3rd if we win and results go our way. Being the 2nd team to be eliminated stings, but finishing 3rd ahead of Belgium will bring some luster to this program and grab some attention on the World's stage. 

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Great list. Recent signings for each team where David plays.
1. Arsenal...Jesus
2. Liverpool...Nunes
3. Spurs...Richarlison
4. Man U....empty
5. Man City....Haaland
6. Chelsea...Nkunku
7. AC Milan....Origi...empty
8. Inter....Lukaku (also have Djeko, Martinez)
9. Juventus....Vhalovic (big money)
10. PSG....Ekitike (prospect)
11. Bayern.....empty
12. Madrid.....empty
13. Barcelona...Old man Lew
14. Ateltico....Cunha (also have Correa)

Things change every transfer window for some clubs...but some guys have to make moves before a guy like David would join. 

Real would be a perfect spot for him, and nice long term replacement for the breaking down bad boy benz

Out of that list then that leaves Bayern to team up with Davies, Real Madrid, AC Milan or Manchester United. I definitely then would want to see David end up with Real Madrid or Manchester United preferably United.

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is why failing to advance is damaging. That one extra game, a knockout game, would have meant an awful lot in terms of development. The Americans get this chance now, and we don't.

Of equal importance are the potential transfers players get the deeper they go into tournaments.

The boys did their best and were always the long shots in this group, but it was all within our grasp versus Belgium. Even playing Morocco in a game that matters would have been a big experience, regardless the result.

As it were though, we failed in that goal. That's alright. At least we have the chance now to simply go out and play, without pressure, and hopefully without nerves. Maybe the lack of pressure will see us find our sharpness, find some goals, and get our first points in history. That will be a good note to end on. 

By the way, don't know if this has been mentioned, but I believe we can technically finish 3rd if we win and results go our way. Being the 2nd team to be eliminated stings, but finishing 3rd ahead of Belgium will bring some luster to this program and grab some attention on the World's stage. 

Yeah of course sure but our 2026 preparations in a sense have to start as soon as we are on the plane back home to Canada

Meaning our men's program has to immediately start laying down the groundwork for 2026 which means:

- Building on the success of our qualifying campaign which lead up to us qualifying for Qatar and playing in it by doing well in Nations League or by God even winning our first piece of silverware since 2000 by winning Nations League in our own confederation 

- Also preparing for Gold Cup 2023 and building a team for that by bringing in newer players whilst retaining our players from Qatar

- If rumors are true, we enter Copa America 2024 to help us prepare for 2026 as hosts and do well there 

- Then also prepare for the 2025 Gold Cup as well

But for the 2026 World Cup I wonder if we have like a mini tournament where we invite certain terms to play us in like a 4 to 8 team tournament or something like just right before the World Cup in April or May of 2026 especially since the 2026 World Cup starts on June 8, 2026 and ends on July 3rd

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

But for the 2026 World Cup I wonder if we have like a mini tournament where we invite certain terms to play us in like a 4 to 8 team tournament or something like just right before the World Cup in April or May of 2026 especially since the 2026 World Cup starts on June 8, 2026 and ends on July 3rd

This could also double as a dry run to test some of the stadiums ahead of the tournament. A very good idea. There shouldn't be any reason we couldn't organize this. Even a four team tournament would be very interesting and useful. Unlike Europe and South America, we don't have many chances to play "World Cup Calibre" teams between now and 2026. Speaking of which...

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

- If rumors are true, we enter Copa America 2024 to help us prepare for 2026 as hosts and do well there 

This would be huge. There are some fine teams here (if it happens) and will be competitive. I attended the last one in 2016 and it was very competitive with a great buzz. Was a great tournament. The States finished 4th if I recall correctly. It could be a dry run for learning how to get out of a competitive group. CONCACAF doesn't really prepare us to do this in a meaningful way, just because (as we all can see) the teams who advance in the World Cup are well beyond the typical CONCACAF team. 

11 hours ago, VinceA said:

Are we in a good position to advance in Nations League?

We have a single window in late March 2023 playing Curaçao away then Honduras at home.

As Honduras lost to Curaçao, we may be able to even draw them at home, in the last NL the tie breakers were goal difference then goals scored (not head to head).

The final 4 is in June. There's a 3rd place match too. We should qualify with US and Mexico, Costa Rica need to beat Panama to win their group.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

This could also double as a dry run to test some of the stadiums ahead of the tournament. A very good idea. There shouldn't be any reason we couldn't organize this. Even a four team tournament would be very interesting and useful. Unlike Europe and South America, we don't have many chances to play "World Cup Calibre" teams between now and 2026. Speaking of which...

This would be huge. There are some fine teams here (if it happens) and will be competitive. I attended the last one in 2016 and it was very competitive with a great buzz. Was a great tournament. The States finished 4th if I recall correctly. It could be a dry run for learning how to get out of a competitive group. CONCACAF doesn't really prepare us to do this in a meaningful way, just because (as we all can see) the teams who advance in the World Cup are well beyond the typical CONCACAF team. 

Exactly if we have a mini tournament here in Canada we can easily invite our co hosts Mexico and USA along with other teams to have this mini tournament in Toronto at BMO Field and also at BC Place in Vancouver because those 2 specific stadiums we are using for 2026 when we host 

If we are going to be playing in Copa America  2024 which is the rumour going . If I am John Herdmann  I would bring in a B team for next years Gold Cup . I know I may get hate for this but to me the Gold Cup is a Joke of a tournement designed to appease the  A mericans and Mexico and screwing the rest . Use this tournament to give some new talent a chance and see how they stack up . 

Watching the fan reaction in Australia a country like Canada where soccer is not the main sport , where probably two or even three sports might rank higher in mainstream popularity there, I saw a downtown  outdoor square in the middle of the night on a weekday with thousands of fans watching the game outside , and incredible fan reactions after Australia scores . Sadly here in Canada a country very similar to Australia  in terms of where soccer stands in the pecking order of sports I saw nothing similar in terms of an outdoor setup in one of our big cities with people watching one of Canada’s first two games . I understand it’s basically winter here but I think it was an opportunity missed in not having a similar outdoor setup where fans could have gotten together and watched these games . The optics of a crowded and packed say Maple Leaf Square here in Toronto after that Davies goal would have been nice to see. If anyone gets a chance go look at the fan reactions of the Australian fans after one of the Australia goals of the fans jammed packed in a downtown square I’m assuming in Sydney is incredible to watch, something we could have had here in Canada . Was an outdoor viewing setup never thought about like say Maple Leaf Square here in Toronto for example because maybe they thought not many would show up? I know it’s a small thing in the end but watching the Australian fans jammed packed in a main city square celebrating an Australian goal would have been nice to see something similar here in Canada. 

4 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

Yeah, we hit unprecedented number for viewership but it's going be damn hard to get people out in freezing weather for a morning/early afternoon game. 

Getting people to watch soccer live in Edmonton in -10 was one thing. Getting them to watch a screen at noon or 8 (think my math is right) on a work day and 9 on a Sunday in similar weather is different (though my sister said it was pretty nice there at the weekend when we talked, I look today and it is less so.)