General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

A pretty good core of this team will be in their prime in 3.5 years. 

Name-age-club I see their ceiling at

Davies-25-Munich or Spanish giants

David-26-Arsenal or Tottenham

Buchanan-27-West Ham or Dortmund

Eustaquio-29-Porto or other top 20 team

Johnston-27-Celtic or slight step up

Millar-26-mid table Bundesliga

Kone-24-Premiership or Bundesliga

Miller-28-MLS all-star

Ugbo-27- Ligue 1

That's 9 players at a very high level. I realize they may not all reach thay level, but isn't inconceivable. Add that to Adekugbe-31, Larin-31, Laryea-31, Cornelius-28, Kaye-30, Fraser-28, Waterman-30, St. Clair-29, Crepeau-32. 

In addition, guys that we have already called up and will hopefully continue to grow. Hasal-26, ZBG-27, Kennedy-29, Nelson-23, Shaffelburg-26, Corbeanu-24, Koleosho-21. 

Plus all the guys that we dobt even know exist yet. Team should be very exciting in a few years.  

9 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Miller-28-MLS all-star

Ugbo-27- Ligue 1

That's 9 players at a very high level. I realize they may not all reach thay level, but isn't inconceivable. Add that to Adekugbe-31, Larin-31, Laryea-31, Cornelius-28, Kaye-30, Fraser-28, Waterman-30, St. Clair-29, Crepeau-32. 

In addition, guys that we have already called up and will hopefully continue to grow. Hasal-26, ZBG-27, Kennedy-29, Nelson-23, Shaffelburg-26, Corbeanu-24, Koleosho-21. 

Plus all the guys that we dobt even know exist yet. Team should be very exciting in a few years.  

I think anything can happen in four years and there will be surprises, but we certainly have a young enough team for many of these trajectories to be correct.

As for the ones who will be in their 30s, I would probably question whethere they'll be available or still the best options. I have a feeling we're nowhere near done seeing top talent being produced. 

But at the same time regardless of whether we went out in the group stages or somehow made it into the Round of 16, this World Cup was always going to be a learning experience to help us better prepare for 2026. 2022 being our first World Cup in over 36 years and then fast forward 4 years later 2026 we make it to back to back World Cups but 2026 we go into it as one of the 3 hosts. Furthermore, not only does this Qatar experience help prepare us for when we host but it also gives us that hunger to be better and strive for better in 2026. Because in 2026, the greater the expectations we will have because we will be hosts and with that comes pressure. But it is up to us if we live up to that pressure in the next 4 years.

Edited by TGAA_Star

11 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Miller-28-MLS all-star

Ugbo-27- Ligue 1

I think Kennedy should be on that list too, injury is the only reason he isn’t and I think he could play mid table bundesliga 

2 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

As for the ones who will be in their 30s, I would probably question whethere they'll be available or still the best options. I have a feeling we're nowhere near done seeing top talent being produced. 

I can't say whether they'll be the best options but the age alone is no reason to write them off. The Croatia team that just beat us had five 30+ year old starters.

8 hours ago, Shway said:

David isn’t going anywhere big after this tournament…Not soon at least.

I dunno if his transfer value is going to tank if he ends the season as one of the leading goal scorers in ligue 1. He’s still probably the best player in the league outside of PSG.

plus, let’s face it: if he scores an easy tap in against Morocco, no one remembers that he was quiet the first two games.

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If a scout values two games playing out of position coming off an injury against much stronger opponents for a manager everyone here thinks doesn't have a clue over his body of work over 4 years for Bayern Munich, they're a moron.

David or Davies?

Though I think part of your point stands, scouts worth any bit of their salt will consider but not fully base their opinion on two games.

11 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I can't say whether they'll be the best options but the age alone is no reason to write them off. The Croatia team that just beat us had five 30+ year old starters.

Not write them off and you probably want to bring some players like that. However, as I've said, getting younger players exposure means those same players will be better prepared and more likely to be around for future World Cups.

Obviously, there are examples like Modric and Ronaldo who still play at a high level and can help their teams, so they were selected regardless of age. But these are not the norm. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

10 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Not write them off and you probably want to bring some players like that. However, as I've said, getting younger players exposure means those same players will be better prepared and more likely to be around for future World Cups.

Obviously, there are examples like Modric and Ronaldo who still play at a high level and can help their teams, so they were selected regardless of age. But these are not the norm. 

Agree those two are not the norm.  But you are also using the example of guys who are both 37 when contemplating the situation of guys who will be notably younger than that (MAK 31, Piette 32, Oso 34) in 2026.  Oso may be the most comparable and it might be optimistic to think he is still around (though he is currently playing some of the best footy of his career IMO) but the other two could easily still be in the player pool.  

Key word I said was soon.

I think he will eventually make that move, but remember David said he only wants to go to a big club. Big club to me is about 10 clubs.
He still has 30 months on his contract, and unless a really great offer comes in to Lille, they have no pressure to sell this summer. 

Here's hoping his World Cup form doesn't spill over to his club form.

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

Key word I said was soon.

I think he will eventually make that move, but remember David said he only wants to go to a big club. Big club to me is about 10 clubs.
He still has 30 months on his contract, and unless a really great offer comes in to Lille, they have no pressure to sell this summer. 

Here's hoping his World Cup form doesn't spill over to his club form.

By big clubs it depends on league too

But as far as which clubs they are:

10- Arsenal

9- Chelsea

8- Manchester United 

7- Manchester City 

6- Liverpool

5- Barcelona 

4- Real Madrid

3- Juventus

2- AC Milan

1- Inter Milan

But then there's also others like Bayern Munich or Borussia Dortmund too to consider 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Agree those two are not the norm.  But you are also using the example of guys who are both 37 when contemplating the situation of guys who will be notably younger than that (MAK 31, Piette 32, Oso 34) in 2026.  Oso may be the most comparable and it might be optimistic to think he is still around (though he is currently playing some of the best footy of his career IMO) but the other two could easily still be in the player pool.  

Like I said, it's a balance and there will be some older players on the team for sure. I just wouldn't overlook a budding young player who potentially has multiple world cups ahead of him -- especially if roster spots go to out-of-form players with Unattached FC.

But I cannot predict the future and tell you how many world-class players we'll produce, nor how effective those 30-something players will be in four years. For me, save for maybe five or 10 guys, the team is wide open again. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

23 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Haha understood. Admittedly my investment in MLS has drastically declined since getting a hometown CPL team as well

Actuallly I still go to my 2 to 3 TFC games a year and my usual 2-3 Forge FC games also . This past year I attended a lot of League 1 Guelph United games  since its only a 20 minute bike ride from my house . I plan on getting involved with them Next year . 

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

By big clubs it depends on league too

But as far as which clubs they are:

10- Arsenal

9- Chelsea

8- Manchester United 

7- Manchester City 

6- Liverpool

5- Barcelona 

4- Real Madrid

3- Juventus

2- AC Milan

1- Inter Milan

But then there's also others like Bayern Munich or Borussia Dortmund too to consider 

For sure a “Big club”
1: Arsenal 2:Liverpool 3:Tottenham 4: ManU 5:Man city 6: Chelsea 7: Ac Milan 8: Inter Milan 9: Juventes 10: PSG 11: Bayern Munich 12: Real Madrid 13: Barcelona 14: Ath. Madrid

Borderline

1: B.Dortmund 2: RB Leipzig 3: Newcastle 4: Napoli 5: Sevilla

3 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

For sure a “Big club”
1: Arsenal 2:Liverpool 3:Tottenham 4: ManU 5:Man city 6: Chelsea 7: Ac Milan 8: Inter Milan 9: Juventes 10: PSG 11: Bayern Munich 12: Real Madrid 13: Barcelona 14: Ath. Madrid

Borderline

You can probably take Juventus off that list with all the allegations going on over there 

8 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

St Clair or Hasal.  As far Vitoria who knows  I say McnAUGHTON ?

I really want to see what MacNaughton can do on a better TFC defence. He was a monster with Pacific but TFC's headless chicken set up for defending didn't help anyone. With Canada he looked cool and composed.

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

For sure a “Big club”

Borderline

Being that he turned down Everton, I don't think clubs like Dortmund, Leipzig, Sevilla move him much. I think the 14 you mentioned are probably the only clubs he wants to go to right now.

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Is it fair to say that anything less than one of the 2 CONCACAF trophies in 2023 would be a disappointment?

I would basically agree, although I would consider it a success if we make the finals of Gold Cup and Nations League and lose both. Making the final for just one doesn't feel like a big enough step forward, although maybe that's an unfair expectation for this group? Curious to know what others think.

Edited by Obinna