General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

2 minutes ago, Jake Caldwell said:

Corbeanu has to be on this team. Huge miss.

Corbeanu has not really played enough the last few weeks. And really we do not really need more attacking option.

The only player that you could swap for him is maybe Millar. But Millar is older and has way more experience at both the professional level and also for the CMNT.

It was the right decision in my opinion.

1 minute ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This!  Should be in there over Cav

lol what

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

His lack of playing time the last 2 months did him in. Hes been on the bench a lot. 

I think the fact he's still so inconsistent did him in. He has a habit of starting off strong (goals early on for MK, Sheffield and Blackpool) and then fading off hard.

He can't seem to maintain his level, which we know is high but three teams in and his valleys are really noticeable and he still can't seem to figure it out.

3 minutes ago, Jake Caldwell said:

I rate corbeanu and wanted him on the squad. from a managers perspective, This makes sense. 

It was 2 of waterman, Fraser or corbeanu.  

waterman-position of need. 
fraser- been there more often. Potentially a player of need at cm with our cms all coming off injuries and likely that we play atiba before waterman at cb.  

corbeanu - our deepest position of striker/ winger.   

some people call for corbeanu over Ugbo. Ugbos played vs World Cup talent in ligue 1. He’s at a different level than corbeanu. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Interesting comments by Herdman on Arfield.  On the 46 man extended roster but it was a just-in-case situation.   I take that to mean that it may have been possible if a Atiba and/or Oso weren’t healthy enough to play.   

I sort of think his inclusion basically points to if Osorio wouldn't have recovered in time Arfield probably would have got the call.  They have a very like for like skill set. 

9 minutes ago, Jake Caldwell said:

Have you watched any Blackpool games. The team is fruatrated with him where he barely gets on the field. Same issues that took over last year with MK Dons. Alot of talent but lacks decision making and creates a lot of turnovers with his constant one on one attacks.

So sounds like Herdman could have brought in Arfield but chose not to... could look back on that as a huge mistake if Hutch or Staq go down and guys like Fraser have to step in. Really hope it wasn't some ego issue still lingering driving this decision. 

If Scott was open to being there he should have been, "brotherhood" or not. 

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Interesting comments by Herdman on Arfield.  On the 46 man extended roster but it was a just-in-case situation.   I take that to mean that it may have been possible if a Atiba and/or Oso weren’t healthy enough to play.   

Is there a link to this extended roster?

Just now, blueseeka said:

Have you watched any Blackpool games. The team is fruatrated with him where he barely gets on the field. Same issues that took over last year with MK Dons. Alot of talent but lacks decision making and creates a lot of turnovers with his constant one on one attacks.

I generally agree, but at least he has a skill set that could be useful at some point. If we’re down goals late and just need someone to throw on the pitch that can cause havoc and run at defenders - he’s your guy.

I don’t really see a scenario where Millar sees the pitch.

7 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This!  Should be in there over Cav

Theo will be an important player for next cycle, but he's more of a wide player, and we've got plenty of depth there, whereas Cav has a fairly unique and useful skillset as far as our forwards go. Not to mention that he's 0.5 goals/game for Canada, tired for 6th in all-time CMNT goals, and coming off a decent season at club level.

9 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

I sort of think his inclusion basically points to if Osorio wouldn't have recovered in time Arfield probably would have got the call.  They have a very like for like skill set. 

Osorio's return to health AND the emergence of Kone over the last 9 months make it difficult to find a spot for Arfield in the squad. 

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Not surprised at all that Fraser made the squad. The fact that he left his club early with games to play tells me he had a good idea that he would be on the squad and I’m sure for Deinze this is a good opportunity for them. Have they ever had a player in the World Cup I wonder ?

Fraser's club career trajectory is a bit curious but I don't know if I've ever seen him have a bad moment for Canada.

22 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

some people call for corbeanu over Ugbo. Ugbos played vs World Cup talent in ligue 1. He’s at a different level than corbeanu. 

As does Corbeau, there are double digits of players going from the Championship last time I checked. 

Edit 20 currently 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Very happy to see Fraser and Cornelius in the squad.

Very interesting about Arfield. You really have to wonder if Herdman opened the door to taking him in place of an injured Osario, why the hell he’s not taking him in place of an out of form Marc Anthony Kaye. 

I don’t see how Kaye gets minutes in this world cup at all. If it’s attacking it’s anyone else, if it’s defensive it’s Piette. 

Edited by Califax

Cobeanu will be one for the future. There are some arguments to be made around the margins but in totality I think it’s hard to argue he should really be there over some of the other players in the squad who have the ability to provide more of an immediate impact. If this is what we have to be upset about I think they did a pretty good job. 

I find Liam Frasers inclusion an odd one but we can at least point to some pretty consistent on-field play with the nats as justification. Realistically, he’s among the bottom 3-5 spots and very unlikely to see the field.