General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Unless Kone ends up in Europe by Qatar, which would shock me, he’s not going anywhere. Liam Fraser has put in some very good minutes for country, so I can’t imagine a scenario in which JH both chooses a rawer unproven talent, and then gives him important World Cup minutes. 

like, I think Kone only barely has a better chance of heading to Qatar than JMR.

My stab at a 26-man squad Herdman would take

3 GK: Borjan, Crepeau, St. Clair

3 FB: Johnston, Laryea, Adekugbe

5 CB: Vitoria, Henry, Miller, Kennedy, Cornelius

5 MF: Osorio, Kaye, Piette, Eustaquio, Hutchinson, Kone

8 FW: Larin, David, Davies, Cavallini, Ugbo, Buchanan, Millar, Hoilett

There's one spot left and honestly I think he goes wildcard and brings in someone like Jakheele Marshall-Rutty.

5 minutes ago, VinceA said:

There's one spot left and honestly I think he goes wildcard and brings in someone like Jakheele Marshall-Rutty.

Probably spot on or right there.

Few other guys we might see in the mix on top of Marshall-Rusty, is Corbeanu, Akinola and Wotherspoon 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Unless Kone ends up in Europe by Qatar, which would shock me, he’s not going anywhere. Liam Fraser has put in some very good minutes for country, so I can’t imagine a scenario in which JH both chooses a rawer unproven talent, and then gives him important World Cup minutes. 

like, I think Kone only barely has a better chance of heading to Qatar than JMR.

I think there is a big difference between being the 26th man on the plane and being given “important World Cup minutes”.   There will likely be guys on the plane who never see the field.  This isn’t a feel good exercise to make people feel special - Herdman will name the best/most tactical 18 guys for each outing.   There is a very significant chance that we will play only 3 games, paced out over the course of a couple weeks.  Thus rotation isn’t really a factor barring injury.  If you are player 26, that likely means you are watching from the sidelines and just taking in the experience.  That could be why a couple of high-potential players could get included - or at least why the OS guys think so.   

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Fraser I think is playing a too low a level right now. His team can't even get promoted AFAIK as they don't meet minimum standards for the top flight.

17 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I know yesterday’s game was a shit show. But for me Kaye was not very good and he makes me nervous. Your midfield depth after the big 3 is questionable. This is why we need Arfield 

Not that I wouldn't welcome him back, but I honestly think the Arfield era is now behind us. 

That said, I agree about Kaye. I feel Piette would have been better in a game like that, but Herdman's subs are premeditated, I think. Kaye was always going to get a run out after not featuring in Vancouver.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Fraser I think is playing a too low a level right now. His team can't even get promoted AFAIK as they don't meet minimum standards for the top flight.

Right, but if Canada is at a point where for whatever reason they have to go deep enough into the bench to play a guy like Kone or Fraser at the World Cup, might as well use the guy who’s shown up for the team before.

I think the fact he plays in such a poor league is a factor, I just think if it gets to the point where Herdman needs to play his 25th man, might as well go for experience, because at that point, you’re sure as hell not trying to beat your opponent with skill, especially against the teams in our group.

36 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I know yesterday’s game was a shit show. But for me Kaye was not very good and he makes me nervous. Your midfield depth after the big 3 is questionable. This is why we need Arfield 

Kaye's value is when we are the underdogs.  He covers a lot of ground when we are defending and really shuts down the opposing team.  That's why I think he'll be there in Qatar and may have a pretty big role.

19 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Kaye's value is when we are the underdogs.  He covers a lot of ground when we are defending and really shuts down the opposing team.  That's why I think he'll be there in Qatar and may have a pretty big role.

But the stupid fouls and bad turnovers are gonna cost us. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I like the idea of reserving the final spot for a prospect, be it JMR, Koleosho, Mitrovic, Jebbison, etc. 

I wonder though if that spot will go to a guy who's been around, such as Corbeanu, Brym, Edwards, Gutierrez, etc. 

Aside from that, you nailed it I think. May be an argument for Fraser over Kone, but I think the side picks itself for the most part. I would personally want to see Waterman sneak on there, but if we can cap-tie someone like Koleosho or Jebbison, that'd be my preference for the future sake of the program. Waterman will get his chance.

I was so excited for this whole window. Friendly and Nations League sounded great. Finally more CMNT football.

But what a horrible two weeks for everyone involved. The optimism for Luca, followed by cancelled Iran, cancelled practice. No showing the Panama game. Luca leaving during this. A nations league game that the CSA was begging people to buy tickets too, with an endless amount of discounts from the original crazy prices.  And then that horrible field followed by the video outside the refs door.

I am so glad it is over. Goodbye horrid June 2022 window

Thankfully, I am very excited to see the U20's

When Brazil won the WC (USA) in 1994, on the squad was a 17 yr old young phenom - Ronaldo.  iirc he did not play but was selected by Dunga for the exposure to the biggest stage for the game. I agree with some who feel that JH will use that 26th spot for a young player that has potentially a high ceiling. Do we have a young Ronaldo in our system?

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

I think this list is pretty spot on. With that remaining spot I agree it could be a wildcard but I think who it goes to will really depend on the position of need.

Right now in my eyes, we're deepest on the wings and weakest at CB/DM. With that in mind perhaps a good U20 showing from Justin Smith or a successful start to the season in B2 from Belal Halbouni could see them play their way into the conversation or (huge wildcard) Tom Holmes somehow gets his citizenship and comes into camp in September. Otherwise maybe Waterman or MacNaughton take some big steps.

In other positions I think it's more likely we see a surging Akinola, Corbeanu, or Wotherspoon as opposed to a JMR, Koleosho, or Mitrovic unless one of those three has a meteoric rise between now and then

15 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I think this list is pretty spot on. With that remaining spot I agree it could be a wildcard but I think who it goes to will really depend on the position of need.

Right now in my eyes, we're deepest on the wings and weakest at CB/DM. With that in mind perhaps a good U20 showing from Justin Smith or a successful start to the season in B2 from Belal Halbouni could see them play their way into the conversation or (huge wildcard) Tom Holmes somehow gets his citizenship and comes into camp in September. Otherwise maybe Waterman or MacNaughton take some big steps.

In other positions I think it's more likely we see a surging Akinola, Corbeanu, or Wotherspoon as opposed to a JMR, Koleosho, or Mitrovic unless one of those three has a meteoric rise between now and then

Good post. Just wanted to add that Waterman has already taken some big steps. He's become an everyday starter for the best Canadian side (so far this season), in a position Canada doesn't have depth for. I don't know what more he can do. I haven't been watching that closely, but he's playing very well by all accounts and he's cemented into the RCB spot, even pushing Canada's no. 1 RCB to wingback, ahead of another very good Canadian International (ZBG). Safe to say Waterman is in form at the moment?

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

This is something to legitimately be excited about.  Going to be a fun tournament.  I really hope the tactics have evolved from the last U20 tournament though, that was frustrating to watch.

There's so many reasons to get excited about this tournament. 

But for me I was thinking....albeit it was older, the last youth tournament was a coming out party for Tajon. It's possible this can be the same for another or some of the boys. A good showing at this tournament (qualifying) could make the coaching staff want to bring in a young kid to the WC. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

When Brazil won the WC (USA) in 1994, on the squad was a 17 yr old young phenom - Ronaldo.  iirc he did not play but was selected by Dunga for the exposure to the biggest stage for the game. I agree with some who feel that JH will use that 26th spot for a young player that has potentially a high ceiling. Do we have a young Ronaldo in our system?

I'd put my money is on Koleosho (if he accepts) or Kone.  Or if we really wanna start an intense discussion, we can always restart the Flores thread???

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

Although Kone may have a better career than Fraser, as of today I would take Fraser to Qatar.  For me to even consider Kone he would have to improve his defensive awareness in the next 4-5 months. He's a brain fart machine. He's just as liable to make a spectacular offensive pass as he capable of blindly giving the ball away in our box. There's a reason Nancy hasn't used him since he has been back.

BTW your list should be 6 MF. You have a total of 5 and I kept adding it up to 24 players.

I'll throw out a few outside chances. 

Lucas Dias, if he's in the bench or getting minutes with Sporting. 

Richie Ennin. In a couple of weeks this Russian league player is going to have a new team depending which, it could have an effect. 

I fear there's an estrangement with Cornelius, him not playing the last qualifying match vs Panama and putting Atiba there was a slight. This is where a Halbouni or a Waterman could appear. 

Or Smith if he's getting matches with Nice. 

I think Koleosho will eventually get 1st team minutes this season, but he's rather similar to what we have. Same with Corbeanu, depends on the minutes they are getting.