General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tY_QaHOGDs

(Displaying this as a link since FIFA doesn't allow for their videos to be embedded on other sites).

So I noticed something: this video used to be titled "Canada's only time at FIFA World Cup"

The video is now titled "Canada's first time at the FIFA World Cup" 

You know what that implies... ;)

3 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tY_QaHOGDs

(Displaying this as a link since FIFA doesn't allow for their videos to be embedded on other sites).

So I noticed something: this video used to be titled "Canada's only time at FIFA World Cup"

The video is now titled "Canada's first time at the FIFA World Cup" 

You know what that implies... ;)

Somebody at that site is a grammar Nazi?😁

12 hours ago, VinceA said:

Watching it now and yeah they need to do something about Gareth. It's getting to a point where he's dragging the product down. Being obnoxious and loud isn't going to get casual people to buy into your service or your sport. OneSoccer needs approachable people, not the Wheeler's of the world who think loud=good.

So does Onesoccer no longer show Onesoccer Today? Is it only on Youtube?  

3 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

image.thumb.png.19a6705790fa166b0f80d18328b35885.png

Some wild selections here.

Personally think Herdman should be here. Borjan should be over Ochoa. Eustaquio also deserves to be here

The starting 11 is not that crazy...you can definitely make some arguments for some omitted players but only Powell really sticks out as not belonging at all. 

6 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

image.thumb.png.19a6705790fa166b0f80d18328b35885.png

Some wild selections here.

Personally think Herdman should be here. Borjan should be over Ochoa. Eustaquio also deserves to be here

Yeah - how the hell does Borjan not even make the bench!

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

Milan was fuckin robbed, simple as that, no arguments to be had, Canada's World Cup fortunes would have been very different if not for his spectacular play, sweatpants and all ( :

Keeper Milan Borjan has been a steadying presence for Canada, and a  sensational one when needed | The Star

Borjan and Turner should have been ahead of Ochoa. That feels like a legacy pick for me based on name recognition. What has he done lately that compares to Turner and Borjan, both at club and national team level?

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Borjan and Turner should have been ahead of Ochoa. That feels like a legacy pick for me based on name recognition. What has he done lately that compares to Turner and Borjan, both at club and national team level?

Exactly, I wouldn't have issue if they selected any order of Borjan, Turner, or even Navas, but there's no way Ochoa deserves to be there anymore

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would have had no problem with Matt Turner getting the nod after the US beat Mexico in both Nation's League and the Gold Cup. But Ochoa, no way. Milan is the man too. 

6 hours ago, Cblake said:

Milan was fuckin robbed, simple as that, no arguments to be had, Canada's World Cup fortunes would have been very different if not for his spectacular play, sweatpants and all ( :

Keeper Milan Borjan has been a steadying presence for Canada, and a  sensational one when needed | The Star

Navas?

Turner hasn't even locked down his own team's starting spot and Ochoa is far from his best of late.

I mean, it is pretty obviously wrong.  We are in first place in WCQ and are the best team in the region at this particular moment in time.  Yet we have 3 players in the starting 11 and Mexico somehow has 4.  Then you factor in the subs and our grand total is 4, the US has 5 and Mexico has 6.  That could maybe be justified if you recognize the x-factor of our coach or the heroics of our keeper - and yet somehow neither Herdman or Milan make the cut?  Lol.  Sure…

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Alvas Powell ahead of anybody is the biggest joke of all though. I bet JD's head is going to explode when he sees this. 

This lol.
When I saw THAT I’m like this list is bullshit. 

Tbh it’s not even worth entertaining, with all of the inconsistencies and mistakes. 

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I mean, it is pretty obviously wrong.  We are in first place in WCQ and are the best team in the region at this particular moment in time.  Yet we have 3 players in the starting 11 and Mexico somehow has 4.  Then you factor in the subs and our grand total is 4, the US has 5 and Mexico has 6.  That could maybe be justified if you recognize the x-factor of our coach or the heroics of our keeper - and yet somehow neither Herdman or Milan make the cut?  Lol.  Sure…

I guess part of the calculus here is 2021 in its entirety, so when you take goaltending into account, Milan only had one great window (November).  He was really good in the first one (Honduras game in particular) but he missed the next one (obviously the last window doesn’t count) and didn’t play in the gold cup.  I don’t think Ochoa should be there, but as others have mentioned, nations league, gold cup, etc. hurt Milan there even though he’s probably been the best out of all of them when there but fell victim similar to a player having an amazing season, on his way to an MVP award, who goes down with a knee injury halfway through the year.

Since IFFHS was generous to our women I'll cut them some slack, but I agree there is lots of random in there. Like Héctor Herrera, he's a sub for At Madrid and rarely shines (last night notwithstanding, he was solid but it's  2022), and has rarely been stellar for Mexico. Odd. 

Since we didn't qualify for Nation's League and our Gold Cup was just a semi, and our qualifying success was also 2022 (third of our points), I'm not one to care about how we're rated in function of NT play. 

11 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I also noticed that Javier Aguirre is the coach of Mexico???  Along with “Bruce” Aaronson, this list has zero credibility without even going into the merits of the players on the list.

It's also old news. Their lists came out in December. Was posted in both men & women's sections here. Discussed and dismissed.