Stephen Eustaquio

3 minutes ago, imoffside said:

Just to add, I don't think he was playing bad at all. Gil Vicente got an early red which meant Porto have been on the attack most of the time but haven't been able to create much. Eustaquio came off for another attacker so looks like Porto's coach wants more attacking options would be my best guess. Still though, kind of a bizarre decision since its too early to go all out attack imo

Yep, he was doing fine. But Steph was playing it very safe, and Conceicao wants everyone progressing the ball with Gil clogging up the final third.

Shitty not to let him play to the half tho, imo

6 hours ago, Cadeau said:

The guy that subbed him stayed 30 ish minutes also, but I don't know if that guy came off because of injury, or if that coach is a bit panicky/trigger happy.

They asked Conceicao about this after the game. He said Galeno wasn't doing what was asked, which was taking on one on ones and creating chances, and also suffered a slight knock. He also explained why he subbed on Galeno for Eustaquio saying it had to do with the fact they had the numerical advantage and wanted to try and exploit the left side 

Definitely was a bit trigger happy and lots of Porto fans (at least where I've been reading) aren't happy with his subs especially the Eustaquio one since it ruined their midfield setup (also Galeno isn't very well liked haha)

1 hour ago, imoffside said:

They asked Conceicao about this after the game. He said Galeno wasn't doing what was asked, which was taking on one on ones and creating chances, and also suffered a slight knock. He also explained why he subbed on Galeno for Eustaquio saying it had to do with the fact they had the numerical advantage and wanted to try and exploit the left side 

Definitely was a bit trigger happy and lots of Porto fans (at least where I've been reading) aren't happy with his subs especially the Eustaquio one since it ruined their midfield setup (also Galeno isn't very well liked haha)

Thanks. I was curious if there had been any quotes from Conceicao about Eustaquio’s substitution. 

Does anyone know if the rules in Portugal are you cannot play for two Portuguese teams in the Cup in the same season?  Similar to the old rules with the Champions League.

This could explain why he is not even on the bench.  He did get a red card with Pacos in the cup earlier in the year but I believe that suspension was served.

Edited by Corazon

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

Does anyone know if the rules in Portugal are you cannot play for two Portuguese teams in the Cup in the same season?  Similar to the old rules with the Champions League.

This could explain why he is not even on the bench.  He did get a red card with Pacos in the cup earlier in the year but I believe that suspension was served.

Nope, cause Edwards is on the bench for Sporting. 

The bench size is reduced from 9 to 7 spots - that's about all I can tell.

3 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I also just read a prediction report that had him penciled in to start so I think that any credible news report would have those facts before predicting a lineup.

Edited by Corazon

Listening to the boys at Nothern Futbol and they're saying Eustaquio was visibly upset with the tactical substitution. Now he's a healthy scratch for a cup match against Sporting? I don't want to push the panic button here, but that's really not sounding good. 

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Listening to the boys at Nothern Futbol and they're saying Eustaquio was visibly upset with the tactical substitution. Now he's a healthy scratch for a cup match against Sporting? I don't want to push the panic button here, but that's really not sounding good. 

He’s cup-tied, I would think.  EDIT: oops, I hadn’t read the analysis above…

Edited by sstackho

He did post this on Instagram yesterday at least

"Dragon Mode On"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cak-hXwDYhx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

He also posted a picture of himself with the game day information earlier today.  I'm assuming he already knew he wouldn't be featuring at the time of posting, so hopefully he continues to focus and work hard and get minutes in the future.

2 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

This would be better than being frozen out of the team all together due to attitude issues, but it's still not great look.

It suggests he's 17-18 in the squad.

Now, maybe we shouldn't be surprised by that (if that's what it is), since he's just arrived on loan, but the manager was adamant about acquiring Eustaquio, apparently, so I would think he'd be making the bench even when it's short. 

Eustaquio was the only Canadian men's player to be nominated for the best CONCACAF XI as a Midfielder.

It doesn't look like the voting option is available yet.  Make sure to go and vote for him & Borjan as goalkeeper.  Don't forget to vote for our women nominees as well.

FC Porto posted his nomination to their Instagram account as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CapY6oKqbt7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_lin

Edited by Corazon

8 minutes ago, theaub said:

Davies was on the defender list...Buchanan/David are the Canadian forwards (no Larin is a bit surprising)

Thanks, must have missed it on the CONCACAF site.  Now remembering this being discussed on this forum.