Stephen Eustaquio

He is absolutely going to need to earn it.  But, he has only been with Porto for 2.5 weeks and he spent the first week isolating with Covid, then the 2nd week with Canada.  He's had 1 week of training with Porto.  I hope people weren't really expecting that he was going to start against the defending champions and closest team to them in the rankings given that timeline.  Although, I would have loved for Eustaquio to come off the bench the circumstances of the game did not call for him.  Porto was never likely going to bring in a defensive midfielder while playing behind the entire game.  Then once Sporting got the red, it was all hands on deck for Porto.  I wouldn't expect a defensive midfielder to a top priority sub for the way this game planned out, let alone a defensive midfielder who has only trained a week with the first team.

Personally I was hoping Porto had a lead in the second half, where he could come close things up.  Bu this was not the right time to be getting his feet wet.  The game was incredible nonetheless and what an atmosphere he is going to be playing in.

Edited by Corazon

On the bench again for Europa League play vs Lazio.

Before we panic, or even worry about him having to 'earn' his spot, I really really believe Porto brought him in with fixture congestion in mind. They play again in 3 days, and I imagine he sees significant minutes in that game. He could even come off the bench today if they're leading, over the more attacked minded Vitinha.

Edited by PiedPilko

3 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Before we panic, or even worry about him having to 'earn' his spot, I really really believe Porto brought him in with fixture congestion in mind. They play again in 3 days, and I imagine he sees significant minutes in that game. He could even come off the bench today if they're leading, over the more attacked minded Vitinha.

I don't think anyone's panicking. Anyone who knows anything about Porto knew that there was no way he was going to walk straight into that starting XI.

Just now, frmr said:

I don't think anyone's panicking. Anyone who knows anything about Porto knew that there was no way he was going to walk straight into that starting XI.

But I'm going further than that ha - I'm confident he'll get some minutes soon - just not in Europa League.

32 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Hopefully gets some minutes.

And embarasses Felipe Anderson when he does. 

I'm not sure why people would be panicking already.  This is Porto, a huge jump in quality.  He was brought in as a depth piece that could potentially become a regular player over time.

I don't know what to say or what people were expecting.  Did some of us really expect him to start vs 2nd place rivals Sporting, after one week of training?  Did some of us really expect him to start vs Lazio in a two-legged knockout affair vs Lazio?  It's one thing to be hopeful but its another to be realistic.  

Eustaquio will get his starts this season and he will feature off the bench in many games.  Realistically, it was always going to be difficult for Eustaquio to get the start in two of Porto's biggest games of the year in less than two weeks training with the squad.

Edited by Corazon

49 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I'm not sure why people would be panicking already.  This is Porto, a huge jump in quality.  He was brought in as a depth piece that could potentially become a regular player over time.

I don't know what to say or what people were expecting.  Did some of us really expect him to start vs 2nd place rivals Sporting, after one week of training?  Did some of us really expect him to start vs Lazio in a two-legged knockout affair vs Lazio?  It's one thing to be hopeful but its another to be realistic.  

Eustaquio will get his starts this season and he will feature off the bench in many games.  Realistically, it was always going to be difficult for Eustaquio to get the start in two of Porto's biggest games of the year in less than two weeks training with the squad.

I don't know who you're responding to because no one is panicking or has said that.

7 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

I don't know who you're responding to because no one is panicking or has said that.

I'm not responding to anyone in particular.  As you can clearly see from my post, I didn't respond to anyone directly no did I tag anyone.  I am trying to paint a realistic picture for fellow members here who might have some disappointment to his start at Porto.  And there have been comments this past week in different threads that display shock and surprise that he isn't playing.  Not to mention twitter.

Did you actually want to add something valuable to my post or was that all you had to contribute?

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, shortofbrillant said:

I think it's encouraging he is even on the bench. Some of these loan deals end up only amounting to being around in training and nothing more.

There is no way a guy like Staq would go to a team and just train. He will have to earn his minutes but he is too quality to ignore.  

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

I'm not responding to anyone in particular.  As you can clearly see from my post, I didn't respond to anyone directly no did I tag anyone.  I am trying to paint a realistic picture for fellow members here who might have some disappointment to his start at Porto.  And there have been comments this past week in different threads that display shock and surprise that he isn't playing.  Not to mention twitter.

Did you actually want to add something valuable to my post or was that all you had to contribute?

Nah that's all I had to say, that there's no shock/surprise/panic. No need to get mad.