Stephen Eustaquio

1 minute ago, Alex said:

In sorry I don’t understand the “match fit” term that gets thrown around so much. These are pro athletes. He has been lying around for months watching daytime tv. 

Unless he's dead tired from lack of sleep or has picked up an injury, he should be match fit.  If he had been out for two weeks, then the concern over match fitness would be legit.  

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

In sorry I don’t understand the “match fit” term that gets thrown around so much. These are pro athletes. He has been lying around for months watching daytime tv. 

Agreed - he played a match last Friday. I mean he hasn’t been out for weeks or anything. Assuming COVID took nothing away from him I don’t see why he wouldnt be able to start tomorrow and give us at least 60 minutes

Edited by Floortom

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

"Match fitness" doesn't just apply to form (which I don't think he's out given his last game was recently), but given its a virus that primarily attacks the cardiorespiratory system, I'm just hopeful that 1. It was an extremely mild case, 2. He's had enough time to recover and regain his engine. 

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Wait a sec don't you need a mind to go through a mindfuck? Most American soccer fans would dispute your claim that Gregg has a mind.

I think Gregg's problem is that he's all mind and nothing much else.  Super cerebral guy, a footballing intellect, but missing the leadership heft and other bits of hard-won wisdom that Herdman displays.  The Professor vs. the CEO.  

8 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

"Match fitness" doesn't just apply to form (which I don't think he's out given his last game was recently), but given its a virus that primarily attacks the cardiorespiratory system, I'm just hopeful that 1. It was an extremely mild case, 2. He's had enough time to recover and regain his engine. 

Fair enough

4 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Some guy just replied to these tweets/ news saying Nef is actually right and he is still in Oporto. Random ass guy tho so we will see if he has any “sources” to back that info.

i have absolutely no idea what’s going anymore though that’s all I can say😂

We demand photographic evidence! 

Assuming COVID hasn't impacted his system (big assumption, naturally), an endurance athlete in the middle of their season will lose almost nothing from a complete week off. 

If he's healthy enough to fly, he should be good for at least a half. I'd worry more about whether he can fit into the tactical plan without practicing with the team.

All of this, of course, relies on Wheeler being correct. Oh baby.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Assuming COVID hasn't impacted his system (big assumption, naturally), an endurance athlete in the middle of their season will lose almost nothing from a complete week off. 

If he's healthy enough to fly, he should be good for at least a half. I'd worry more about whether he can fit into the tactical plan without practicing with the team.

All of this, of course, relies on Wheeler being correct. Oh baby.

Steph can slot into any tactical plan, no worries there. He's one of our smartest players in that regard.  But maybe starting, playing for 60, then resting for El Salvador is the way to go. While beating the Yanks would be fun, I want a minimum of 6 points from this window.

19 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Some guy just replied to these tweets/ news saying Nef is actually right and he is still in Oporto. Random ass guy tho so we will see if he has any “sources” to back that info.

i have absolutely no idea what’s going anymore though that’s all I can say😂

Oh, that’s just Herdman’s burner account to keep Berhalter guessing.😜

Edited by Metro

58 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’m sorry I don’t understand the “match fit” term that gets thrown around so much. These are pro athletes. He hasn't been lying around for months watching daytime tv. 

i can't recall where i heard this, but i think match fitness refers more to game speed reactions, awareness, anticipating plays, movements, etc and stuff which generally is difficult to simulate (?).  and this is separate from physical fitness...

i guess the idea is a player would be able to perform those things at their highest level if they are playing on a regular basis...

someone correct me if i'm totally off here...

Edited by cornerkick

4 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

i can't recall where i heard this, but i think match fitness refers more to game speed reactions, awareness, anticipating plays, movements, etc and stuff which generally is difficult to simulate (?).  and this is separate from physical fitness...

i guess the idea is a player would be able to perform those things at their highest level if they are playing on a regular basis...

someone correct me if i'm totally off here...

If match fitness is a concern, he'd still be miles ahead of any of the MLS guys. It comes down to how much he's lost from being out of training for a week. Physically it would be almost nil, as long as he wasn't seriously ill. 

On 1/25/2022 at 3:14 PM, ronjames said:

My brain and gut are telling me that Herdman was saying that Eustaquio will play in the El Salvador game 

My heart is telling me Herdman is playing mind games and that the plan is for him to feature in the US game.

If only I was this good at predicting the stock market