Stephen Eustaquio

41 minutes ago, Obinna said:

To flip it around, I bet Lyon, Marseille, Monaco and even Lille would have the same consistency as Porto, Benfica and Sporting if they played in the Portuguese league. They would turn the big 3 into a big 7. 

Yeah, and to take it further if PSG were in the Portuguese league they would likely have the same dominance as they do in France.

1 hour ago, Acid-Tone said:

It's not like Portugal is ranked in the teens or something, they're literally just one spot lower at 6.                                        Who would win between the team currently placed 10th team in Ligue 1, and the undefeated league leaders in Portugal?  I'm not sure.

But let's take a closer look at why one club is still in the CL and the other is not.

Porto got knocked out of the Champions League and into the Europa League because they had a tough draw with Liverpool, Atletico Madrid and AC Milan in their group.

Lille advanced because they won a group consisting of RB Salzburg, Sevilla and Wolfsburg. That's a pretty big disparity in competition wouldn't you say?

I would suggest that merely relying on the basic fact of whether a team advanced or not in the CL, might not be the best way to go about trying to determine who the better team is.

Love the debate.  (And just for the record, I never said Lille was better than Porto - I just said it was close 😉).  But just to pour more gas on the fire, I will point out that Lille finished ahead of Sevilla in their group (and beat them 2-1 on aggregate), while Porto finished behind Atletico (losing 3-1 on aggregate).  Meanwhile, in league play, Sevilla sits 2nd in the La Liga table, 10 points ahead of Atletico.  So, who's better now?  😉

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

In Wheeler's One soccer interview with Herdman the latter said they were hoping to bring him before the end of the window, which presumably means the ES game only - however he wasn't that specific.

My brain and gut are telling me that Herdman was saying that Eustaquio will play in the El Salvador game 

My heart is telling me Herdman is playing mind games and that the plan is for him to feature in the US game.

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are arguing the middle-weights can beat the welterweights, which is no argument at all. Winning a weight class higher, that is what is called making a point. 

This is what Porto, Benfica and Sporting do every season to win the Portuguese league. I have no reason to think the 'middle-weight' French teams wouldn't do the same.

Or put another way, Porto, Benfica and Sporting are 'middle-weights' in France, along with Lyon Marseille, Monaco and Lille. That might be disrespectful to Porto and Benfica in particular, but I think it's the truth. You add those 3 Portuguese giants to France and PSG are still winning the title just as frequently as they've done in recent memory. 

51 minutes ago, ronjames said:

My brain and gut are telling me that Herdman was saying that Eustaquio will play in the El Salvador game 

My heart is telling me Herdman is playing mind games and that the plan is for him to feature in the US game.

I hope it's the latter because one of our 5 central midfielders is a soon-to-be 39 year old that you probably want to maximize by playing in games 1 and 3 of the window, rather than games 1 and 2. If Atiba doesn't start against the US and Eustaquio isn't there, we're probably looking at a Piette & Fraser duo in the middle of park against the US and one of Kaye & Osorio starting their 2nd game in 4 days.

7 hours ago, ronjames said:

Seems like a Herdman thing to do. Herdmans such a great manager.

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's practically the same thing, isn't it? Would he be theoretically be able to cross the border by land I wonder? Fly to say Buffalo and drive the rest of the way?

I believe that as a citizen, once you make it to the border (by w.e. means), they can't deny you entry into the country.. that being said, it doesn't mean they are forced to let you wander around once you're in, they can still deny you "immediate entrance" if that makes sense.

8 hours ago, theaub said:

The important thing is David will be a far bigger club in 6 months anyways.

and so could Eustaquio... if he kills it with Porto then he's moving up to a top 5 league 100%, that pathway has already been well stablish. Porto knows good business and they know they could make a hefty profit on a guy like Eustaquio if a top 5 league team comes after him, given how cheaply they are getting him. He's only 25.

Edited by LeoH037

For real though... how can you not be happy for this guy... I love his character, tenacious on and off the field. After what could have been a career altering (for the worse) injury, this guy just said, hell no, got up, dusted off, and kept going. He's the definition of hard work and resiliency (of course, being extremely talented also helped).

6 minutes ago, ronjames said:

Regarding the whole COVID positive thing and rules before entering Canada. 

That applies to regular civilians. Athletes have gotten National Interest Exemptions before. Let's hope the CSA and Eustaquio's camp can make a good case.

I think he would still need a new Negative test to make that work.

On 1/25/2022 at 1:14 PM, ronjames said:

^This would be ideal but feel we are being optimistic. I presume he's still in Portugal and would only need to wait 5 days to fly out from testing positive, which was reportedly Friday? Pending Portugal's covid rules, he could possibly come home and meet the team in Hamilton. Also this is assuming he's asymptomatic...

ES game is probably more realistic but having him suit up vs US would give the boys a great boost!

2 minutes ago, Dre_03 said:

^This would be ideal but feel we are being optimistic. I presume he's still in Portugal and would only need to wait 5 days to fly out from testing positive, which was reportedly Friday? Pending Portugal's covid rules, he could possibly come home and meet the team in Hamilton. Also this is assuming he's asymptomatic...

ES game is probably more realistic but having him suit up vs US would give the boys a great boost!

The rule is actually 7 days.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/portugal-cuts-covid-19-isolation-10-days-seven-2021-12-30/

if the test date was friday then there would be a better chance of him being available against US. Saturday test date would seemingly make it impossible though. Also keep in  mind he's isolating now and isnt training with anyone