Stephen Eustaquio

Ends 0-2. 

Surprised to hear, as I was watching the second half, that this is Porto's first win of the League Cup, which started in 2007 I think. Sporting has 4, Benfica, Braga have also won.

Stephen subbed out with a few minutes to go.

TV showing Pedro Porro, is he transferring to EPL this weekend?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 minutes ago, costarg said:

So does the man stay at Porto and become a legend there, or does he go to a top team?  The ceiling is pretty high on this guy.  The phone has got to be ringing off the hook.  Every team wants a middle who can score, pass, break up plays and  play both ways all over the field.

The way the EPL picks apart the Portuguese league I doubt he spends more than 3 years at Porto. 

Especially not with the way he's playing

I feel like I’ve seen Porto flags at some Portuguese places in Montreal too.

I think the allure of playing in a top league would be too much not to entice him even if he was loyal to Portugal or anything. Not to mention, he’s a guy who will always have a place in Portugal. If god forbid he goes to the premier league and gets the Richie Laryea treatment, I think he can always return back to Porto or any other team there instead of having to go back to MLS. I still think he solves a lot of Liverpool’s problems (good midfielder, low fee), and based on how English teams go shopping in Portugal, I would expect there to be interest this summer. If no transfer ever materializes and he stays at Porto for the next 8 seasons, that’s cool too, but I think he’s too good for other teams not to come calling.

22 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I feel like I’ve seen Porto flags at some Portuguese places in Montreal too.

I think the allure of playing in a top league would be too much not to entice him even if he was loyal to Portugal or anything. Not to mention, he’s a guy who will always have a place in Portugal. If god forbid he goes to the premier league and gets the Richie Laryea treatment, I think he can always return back to Porto or any other team there instead of having to go back to MLS. I still think he solves a lot of Liverpool’s problems (good midfielder, low fee), and based on how English teams go shopping in Portugal, I would expect there to be interest this summer. If no transfer ever materializes and he stays at Porto for the next 8 seasons, that’s cool too, but I think he’s too good for other teams not to come calling.

I concur.  I spotted a least one Porto scarf at a Portugese cafe close by.  I just don't remember if they also had Benfica and Sporting merch as well.  Definitely spotted the Porto gear though.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:54 PM, narduch said:

Pretty much every Portuguese Canadian I know is a Benfica fan

This has to do with the period when and just after major immigration took place, and how the landed community associated with the homeland. 

In the 50s-70s Benfica was not only the most successful Portuguese club but in many ways a standard bearer of Portuguese football. But just think: what logic is there that a community with a massive presence from Azores, as in Toronto, would be Benfica followers? They are not Santa Clara followers, not historically. Same with Madeira immigrants, they may have a connection with Maritimo but they went with Benfica.

We are dealing with a certain simplification of the support, based on supporting the team that was winning + best representing the country.

This pattern was repeated in various ways amongst immigrants with teams from Italy, Spain, Greece. Even England, could be argued (Manchester United support is not essentially Mancunian), always with shifts in the patterns.

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This has to do with the period when and just after major immigration took place, and how the landed community associated with the homeland. 

In the 50s-70s Benfica was not only the most successful Portuguese club but in many ways a standard bearer of Portuguese football. But just think: what logic is there that a community with a massive presence from Azores, as in Toronto, would be Benfica followers? They are not Santa Clara followers, not historically. Same with Madeira immigrants, they may have a connection with Maritimo but they went with Benfica.

We are dealing with a certain simplification of the support, based on supporting the team that was winning + best representing the country.

This pattern was repeated in various ways amongst immigrants with teams from Italy, Spain, Greece. Even England, could be argued (Manchester United support is not essentially Mancunian), always with shifts in the patterns.

Pretty much like Italian immigrants in Canada. Mostly all from the south and Juventus is the most popular team

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

Pretty much like Italian immigrants in Canada. Mostly all from the south and Juventus is the most popular team

A lot of the support in that period, when there was little to no information, was not particularly well-informed. Nowadays, if your family is from a smaller city with a modest club you can support them, you are not marginalising yourself--though the only thing you may celebrate is the odd cup win or just not relegating. 

But even then, before the contemporary age when info was accessible, when alternatives emerged to the hegemonic clubs, parts of emmigrant cultures gravitated towards them. Like with Napoli with Maradona in the 80s, so some southern Italians could shift allegiances from the clubs associated to the northern Italian cities their relatives had gone to work in before emmigrating to Canada, as you say, la Juve or Milan. When Deportivo de la Coruña emerged as SuperDepor in the late 80s, many Galician emmigrants (and there are millions, in fact in parts of South America a Spaniard is called a Gallego) had their club--even though most were not even from Coruña and supporting them was not entirely logical. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 1/29/2023 at 11:03 PM, king1010 said:

Hamilton has some Porto fans. Havent seen any Sporting fans. 

In London Ont, Sporting fans have a social club on Hamilton Road where the Portuguese community has traditionally been concentrated:

https://web.facebook.com/nucleosportingoflondon/?_rdc=1&_rdr

And they have run soccer teams in the local leagues in the past. Not sure if they still do. Have run into a few Sporting fans over the years. From what I've been told there are not so many of them in Canada because Sporting were the club backed more by the better off portion of the population in Lisbon who didn't emigrate as much.

I'm not sure how it is for most of Canada but in an around the Greater Toronto area, I see dozens of Sporting, Porto & Benfica fans.  Sure, there are more Benfica fans but Porto & Sporting are both well represented as well and this can be seen throughout Toronto with their own stores/cafes/bars.  I have a very close group of 3 Portuguese friends and all three supported a different team of the big 3.  One of my closest friends now is a Porto fan so it's always great talking Eustaquio with him.  If you join any men's league in Toronto and you will also see team's named after other Liga Nos team's or lower division teams as well.  

The same applies to Italy with Juventus as well.  I know many fans of Lazio, Roma, Milan, Inter, Napoli etc. as well.  But Juventus is also more represented just like Benfica.

2 hours ago, CCrTFC said:

There is deffinitely a Sporting contingent in Toronto. The two things that come to mind are the clubhouse on Dupont and Brockton Stadium.

Porto has a Clubhouse on Rogers Road as well.  They also have a few unofficial bars in and around the areas of St Clair, Rogers, Dupont & Dufferin, Caledonia & Keele neighborhoods.