Stephen Eustaquio

16 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Umm… Wheeler just said on OneSoccer they are going to be missing Eustaquio for the window…huh?

My hope is this was recorded much earlier today and things have changes since then, but either way I am thoroughly confused. He better get those Twitter fingers going soon to explain himself😂

oooh canada ooooh babyy

Was looking this story on Twitter, so many posts from Mexico and Cruz Azul, especially saying they were not patient enough with him. 

When I watched Mexican commentators over the last few windows they always had a lot of respect for him. Basically, they also did for Cav, they have memories of him doing well in MX. But it is interesting they'd respect a guy like Stephan who only got in 2 games for them.

It's a big story and I think it is fair to say that after the kid at Bayern, he's the Canadian at the highest level club. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was looking this story on Twitter, so many posts from Mexico and Cruz Azul, especially saying they were not patient enough with him. 

When I watched Mexican commentators over the last few windows they always had a lot of respect for him. Basically, they also did for Cav, they have memories of him doing well in MX. But it is interesting they'd respect a guy like Stephan who only got in 2 games for them.

It's a big story and I think it is fair to say that after the kid at Bayern, he's the Canadian at the highest level club. 

Totally agree, except I'm not sure I'd rank Porto over Lille.  It's close.  Either way, it's truly a great comeback story - two years ago, being loaned to lower level Primeira Liga team after a career-threatening injury - to a promotion to a Champions League team!  What's especially cool is I'm sure his performances with the CMNT played a big role in all of this as well.  Congratulations Mr. Eustaquio - you've done us all proud!

5 hours ago, Floortom said:

Doing some research on this and I noticed that El Salvador no longer requires any COVID related tests / evidence to enter the country.

After 7 days from positive test date, Eustaquio should be able to leave Portugal (that would be either the coming Saturday or Sunday) and fly to El Salvador. He would not be able to enter Canada until 11 days after the test - so he's ruled out vs the US I think

EDIT: One thing I missed in my post is if Stephen can produce a negative test he can enter Canada. The likelihood of producing a negative test within one week of being positive is kinda low but not impossible.  The positive test would have allowed him to enter Canada but again that can only be 11 days after the test date. 

Just me being nitpicky and non soccer related, but by "would not be able to enter Canada" you mean he would be able to enter but have to quarantine no? (It's against the charter and illegal to deny entrance to a citizen)

11 hours ago, Floortom said:

I wrote this in the other thread but might as well put it here too

Doing some research on this and I noticed that El Salvador no longer requires any COVID related tests / evidence to enter the country.

After 7 days from positive test date, Eustaquio should be able to leave Portugal (that would be either the coming Saturday or Sunday) and fly to El Salvador. He would not be able to enter Canada until 11 days after the test - so he's ruled out vs the US I think

So in summary, assuming no health issues he should be available for El Salvador and could even arrive the day before the rest of the squad and start training a bit. He will not be available before that though. 

EDIT: One thing I missed in my post is if Stephen can produce a negative test he can enter Canada. The likelihood of producing a negative test within one week of being positive is kinda low but not impossible.  The positive test would have allowed him to enter Canada but again that can only be 11 days after the test date. 

So he is not "ruled out" vs the US. Just seems to be pretty unlikely. 

I would say the odds of him producing a negative test within one week of being positive are actually quite high.  Many NBA players who have been vaccinated have been testing negative within a week of testing positive and returning to action very quickly.

Edited by prairiecanuck

8 hours ago, GasPed said:

Totally agree, except I'm not sure I'd rank Porto over Lille.  It's close.  Either way, it's truly a great comeback story - two years ago, being loaned to lower level Primeira Liga team after a career-threatening injury - to a promotion to a Champions League team!  What's especially cool is I'm sure his performances with the CMNT played a big role in all of this as well.  Congratulations Mr. Eustaquio - you've done us all proud!

It is actually not even remotely close, sorry, which is good for us. Just have to say this as we need to get the proper focus on the importance of this signing.

Only one country out of the top 4 nations in Europe has won the Champions League this century, Portugal. Not France. And it was Porto. 

They've also won UEFA/Europa League twice. No French team has done it ever. 

Porto is basically the only club out of the top 4 leagues to win in Europe consistently. It puts Stephan in an amazing spot for his career, salary, and future transfers if all goes well.

11 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Just me being nitpicky and non soccer related, but by "would not be able to enter Canada" you mean he would be able to enter but have to quarantine no? (It's against the charter and illegal to deny entrance to a citizen)

You can't be denied entry, but you can be denied boarding your flight.

8 minutes ago, lenny said:

It's may effectively be the same thing if you're overseas and want to enter the country in a timely manner, but while you might have a right to enter the country, you obviously don't have an inalienable right to board a plane.

For sure, I get that. What about crossing by land though? Certainly he'd be able to get on a plane to the United States and then cross there, right?

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is actually not even remotely close, sorry, which is good for us. Just have to say this as we need to get the proper focus on the importance of this signing.

Only one country out of the top 4 nations in Europe has won the Champions League this century, Portugal. Not France. And it was Porto. 

They've also won UEFA/Europa League twice. No French team has done it ever. 

Porto is basically the only club out of the top 4 leagues to win in Europe consistently. It puts Stephan in an amazing spot for his career, salary, and future transfers if all goes well.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about history (Porto wins hands down) - I'm talking about today.  Lille is in the knockout stages of CL, while Porto didn't advance.  Lille is in a top 5 league, Porto is not.  (Or do you think the Portuguese league is higher than Ligue 1? That's a bit of a hot take. 😉)  That said, next year, Porto will very likely be doing better than Lille in Europe (if Lille makes Europe at all).  If Lille played Porto straight up today, who would win?  That's the perspective I'm taking.  😉

Edited by GasPed

Just now, GasPed said:

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about history (Porto wins hands down) - I'm talking about today.  Lille is in the knockout stages of CL, while Porto didn't advance.  Lille is in a top 5 league, Porto is not.  (Or do you think the Portuguese is higher than Ligue 1? That's a bit of a hot take. 😉)  That said, next year, Porto will very likely be doing better than Lille in Europe (if Lille makes Europe at all).  If Lille played Porto straight up today, who would win?  That's the perspective I'm taking.  😉

The clubs are probably neck-and-neck at the moment. Saying one is better than the other is probably splitting hairs if we are simply ranking our players based on where they play.

Either of these is fine in my mind:

1. Bayern (Davies)

2. Lille (David)

3. Porto (Eustaquio)

1. Bayern (Davies)

2. Porto (Eustaquio)

3. Lille (David)

For me I would probably lean towards the first ordering, the one with Lille second. I think maybe just a bias toward "top 5 league" when hairs need to be split. 

5 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Lille is in a top 5 league, Porto is not.   

If Lille played Porto straight up today, who would win?  

It's not like Portugal is ranked in the teens or something, they're literally just one spot lower at 6.                                        Who would win between the team currently placed 10th team in Ligue 1, and the undefeated league leaders in Portugal?  I'm not sure.

But let's take a closer look at why one club is still in the CL and the other is not.

Porto got knocked out of the Champions League and into the Europa League because they had a tough draw with Liverpool, Atletico Madrid and AC Milan in their group.

Lille advanced because they won a group consisting of RB Salzburg, Sevilla and Wolfsburg. That's a pretty big disparity in competition wouldn't you say?

I would suggest that merely relying on the basic fact of whether a team advanced or not in the CL, might not be the best way to go about trying to determine who the better team is.

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about history (Porto wins hands down) - I'm talking about today.  Lille is in the knockout stages of CL, while Porto didn't advance.  Lille is in a top 5 league, Porto is not.  (Or do you think the Portuguese league is higher than Ligue 1? That's a bit of a hot take. 😉)  That said, next year, Porto will very likely be doing better than Lille in Europe (if Lille makes Europe at all).  If Lille played Porto straight up today, who would win?  That's the perspective I'm taking.  😉

I'm fine with you liking Lille, for some reason I do too, as painful as they are to watch. 

Porto, Sporting and Benfica would regularly be in the top 6-8 of French football, occasionally win the league. Apart from PSG no other French team has had even half the consistency in the last 10 years or so. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm fine with you liking Lille, for some reason I do too, as painful as they are to watch. 

Porto, Sporting and Benfica would regularly be in the top 6-8 of French football, occasionally win the league. Apart from PSG no other French team has had even half the consistency in the last 10 years or so. 

To flip it around, I bet Lyon, Marseille, Monaco and even Lille would have the same consistency as Porto, Benfica and Sporting if they played in the Portuguese league. They would turn the big 3 into a big 7. 

30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

To flip it around, I bet Lyon, Marseille, Monaco and even Lille would have the same consistency as Porto, Benfica and Sporting if they played in the Portuguese league. They would turn the big 3 into a big 7. 

You are arguing the middle-weights can beat the welterweights, which is no argument at all. Winning a weight class higher, that is what is called making a point. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist