Stephen Eustaquio

48 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Between this and the Celtic game, Champions League is becoming a joke in terms of how much the refs / VAR favour the teams from the big leagues.  Worse than the non-penalty because of the shoulder ball touch on Eustaquio was the foul on Taremi.  

Dude, the ref gave Barcelona 8 yellows, some lame or absurd, in a game where we were far from aggressive. But a vicious scissor tackle injuring Lewandowski was not a foul and their player kicking Ter Stegen's hand late wasn't carded. Intent to injure in the last case. They played with an extra man late, it was a joke. The ref was crucifying Barcelona, conditioning everything, and folks have the gall to say we were favoured?

This was exactly the sort of ref whistling for an Oscar nomination that Guardiola was talking about after the Spurs Liverpool fiasco the other day.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Rated quite high on the FotMob & SofaScore, especially when considering he started on the bench.  Missed the game but his statistics were quite impressive.  In 45 minutes:

3 Chances Created

2 Passes into Final 3rd

1 Recovered Ball

29 for 33 Passes Made

88% Passing Completion

1 for 1 Successful Dribbles

4 for 5 Accurate Long Balls

1 for 1 Tackles Won

2 for 3 Ground Duels Won

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

No Eustáquio in the image...

They say "an edema in his left leg" is what kept him from the Japan friendly.

https://desporto.sapo.pt/amp/futebol/primeira-liga/artigos/medio-do-fc-porto-stephen-eustaquio-volta-do-canada-com-edema-na-perna-esquerda

We shall see how long he remains on the injured list.

On 10/18/2023 at 4:56 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

They say "an edema in his left leg" is what kept him from the Japan friendly.

https://desporto.sapo.pt/amp/futebol/primeira-liga/artigos/medio-do-fc-porto-stephen-eustaquio-volta-do-canada-com-edema-na-perna-esquerda

We shall see how long he remains on the injured list.

Reading that, it seems like he got injured at the Cdn camp? 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Steph MLS loan to ensure that his child is not only Canadian but born in Canada? We’re going to need some second Gen talent in 2045, never too early to lay the groundwork. 

Great news for him. But a question: when did the International Board determine that all players scoring goals with wives or girlfriends pregnant are obliged to stuff the ball under their shirts or suck their thumbs?

Seems harsh to get a yellow for not doing that.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Great news for him. But a question: when did the International Board determine that all players scoring goals with wives or girlfriends pregnant are obliged to stuff the ball under their shirts or suck their thumbs?

I think once one wife / GF saw that done by another player, it’s a brave man who wouldn’t do it for his wife / gf.  Sometimes the personal is more important than the professional. 

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Steph MLS loan to ensure that his child is not only Canadian but born in Canada?

Haha. He was born in Leamington, so that kid will automatically be Canadian.

Voyageurs as soon as they hear a #CanMNT player is having a kid:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMjbfLjUS/

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

🤣

7 hours ago, Shway said:

By the looks of it, she's probably 3/4 months pregnant. So he should be alright.

That kid will be born by May so Stephen will be good to go for Copa America. ;)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

19 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Steph MLS loan to ensure that his child is not only Canadian but born in Canada? We’re going to need some second Gen talent in 2045, never too early to lay the groundwork. 

THAT'S WHAT HE SAID!

(Thats a morning wood reference.  Just thought I should point that out.  I'll go back to being somewhere on the spectrum now.  As you were).

Edited by Cheeta

15 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Haha. He was born in Leamington, so that kid will automatically be Canadian.

Voyageurs as soon as they hear a #CanMNT player is having a kid:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMjbfLjUS/

🤣

Yeah, I know, I think that his kid would even still qualify even if Steph was born in Portugal. I only know how to speak in terms of transfers or national team allegiances when it comes to players, so just need to make sure that the Eustaquios are a multi-generational force in Canadian soccer. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Job done for him. 

1-4 Porto winning. Decent and expected position in the group barring a Belgian miracle. 

Shakhtar is quite a bit better than Royal Antwerp.

I think the Belgians are mistaken in giving the CL spot to their playoff winner. The team winning the table is the best team, not the team winning the playoffs. It is the team with the deepest, most competitive roster that can best build for the following season. Then Royal Antwerp just won the playoff late and luckily.

I'm saying this thinking about Tajon too, Bruges seems to coast during the season hoping they can win the playoff, it is not a good setup. 

Best midfielder in concacaf?

McKennie is a rotational player for a Juventus side not currently in Europe, Reyna (different profile btw) has a super high ceiling but is still a sub for Dortmund, Musah is getting more starts lately for AC Milan, a better team than Porto, yet it doesn't really feel like he is a "best in concacaf" player - maybe because he hasn't proven to be consistent for club, be it Milan or Valencia. Alvarez is a good player and similar age to Eustaquio, he could probably lay claim to the "best in concacaf" title, maybe I would put him at 2 if I am putting Eustaquio at 1.

If Eustaquio is the best midfielder, it's by the slightest of margins. Am I being biased here? I mean Porto are a very big club, but they are still a level below the very best in Europe, nor are they in a top 5 league.