Stephen Eustaquio

46 minutes ago, lowlander said:

It really is difficult to understand why Porto brought him in. If he cannot get off the bench against Tondela … ugh.

Why? It wasn’t a big investment at all for Porto. More than worth it to have him as depth as Porto is trying to win the league and move forward in Europa league.

none of this is really a surprise to me and I said it before the transfer - look at the mids ahead of him. Porto only really play with two of them at a time. Obviously its going to a big hill to climb 

39 minutes ago, lamptern said:

If he is not subbed on with a 4:0 lead,  they might only want to use him to kill garbage time when they are down 0:4. 

Grujic also remained on the bench.

Maybe the manager just never saw the need to switch up the center midfield?

24 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Europe hasn’t been kind to our boys since the new year :( 

Except for Tajon, and Derek. 

But to me this was expected. It’s that much harder to break into teams mid season, and who are chasing something. 

I think they’ll weather storm, their clubs will make summer changes and they will be properly integrated into the squad. 

It’s great moves, bad timing. 

18 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Why? It wasn’t a big investment at all for Porto. More than worth it to have him as depth as Porto is trying to win the league and move forward in Europa league.

none of this is really a surprise to me and I said it before the transfer - look at the mids ahead of him. Porto only really play with two of them at a time. Obviously its going to a big hill to climb 

So what was the point of the loan, for both Eustaquio and Porto? I appreciate he needs to earn time but where there is no time to be earned it is not a good move.

Along with Eustaquio, the Defensive Midfielders on FC Porto are:

Mateus Uribe - Colombia- a 30 year old who played in and started (from what i can tell) every single game for Colombia in this cycle of World cup qualifying.  Colombia is seventh on Conmebol but well in position to grab one of the five qualifying spots for Qatar given that their final two games are against Bolivia and Venezuela.  Colombia are no strangers in international soccer and producing international quality talent.

Marko Grujic - Serbia -  Serbia automatically qualified for Qatar while in a group with Portugal.  Grujic played most of their WCQ games from what i can tell.  If not all.  He was on the squad for Serbia at the 2018 WC.   Previously loaned out to Liverpool.

Compared to Laryea's case at 2nd division Nott Forest, I can understand much better why it would be hard for Eustaquio to find minutes to play on this squad.   Whereas, Laryea is totally other story.  Laryea's coach wont start him nor even put him on the bench and players in front of him are bunch of nobody's.

Edited by Free kick

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

Along with Eustaquio, the Defensive Midfielders on FC Porto are:

Mateus Uribe - Colombia- a 30 year old who played in and started (from what i can tell) every single game for Colombia in this cycle of World cup qualifying.  Colombia is seventh on Conmebol but well in position to grab one of the five qualifying spots for Qatar given that their final two games are against Bolivia and Venezuela.  Colombia are no strangers in international soccer and producing international quality talent.

Marko Grujic - Serbia -  Serbia automatically qualified for Qatar while in a group with Portugal.  Grujic played most of their WCQ games from what i can tell.  If not all.  He was on the squad for Serbia at the 2018 WC.   Previously loaned out to Liverpool.

Compared to Laryea's case at 2nd division Nott Forest, I can understand much better why it would be hard for Eustaquio to find minutes to play on this squad.   Whereas, Laryea is totally other story.  Laryea's coach wont start him nor even put him on the bench and players in front of him are bunch of nobody's.

I watched Grujic a lot during the 4-5 years that he was on the books at Liverpool. Grujic is a physical specimen, but Staq is a better, smarter player, overall. I think Staq will overtake Grujic at some point in the coming weeks/months.

I noticed that TransferMarkt updated their Liga Nos valuations last week so I went to take a look to see if anything had changed for Eustaquio.  He has remained at a valuation of $5 Million.

For comparison - Uribe is valued at $16 Million, Grujic is valued at $12 Million & Vitinha at $24 Million.  It's TransferMarkt so take it with a grian of salt.  Some of those seem overvalued and I think we can all agree that Eustaquio should be higher than $5 million but just shows how deep that Central Midfield is.

Edited by Corazon

6 hours ago, Corazon said:

I noticed that TransferMarkt updated their Liga Nos valuations last week so I went to take a look to see if anything had changed for Eustaquio.  He has remained at a valuation of $5 Million.

For comparison - Uribe is valued at $16 Million, Grujic is valued at $12 Million & Vitinha at $24 Million.  It's TransferMarkt so take it with a grian of salt.  Some of those seem overvalued and I think we can all agree that Eustaquio should be higher than $5 million but just shows how deep that Central Midfield is.

Good post. Thanks for sharing those other values. Yes it's transfermarkt and we may disagree with it, but the fact remains he's there on loan as the 4th midfield option. We have to accept that. 

Furthermore, he's a defensive midfielder and Porto play in a 2 man set up. Vitinha is a 10 and Uribe is an 8. Gurjic and Eustaquio are 6s, right? Porto play in a league where they dominate the ball (I assume).

Eustaquio is good enough for Porto, that's a given. However, he's going to have to be patient and then he's going to have to take his chance when it eventually comes.

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Good post. Thanks for sharing those other values. Yes it's transfermarkt and we may disagree with it, but the fact remains he's there on loan as the 4th midfield option. We have to accept that. 

Furthermore, he's a defensive midfielder and Porto play in a 2 man set up. Vitinha is a 10 and Uribe is an 8. Gurjic and Eustaquio are 6s, right? Porto play in a league where they dominate the ball (I assume).

Eustaquio is good enough for Porto, that's a given. However, he's going to have to be patient and then he's going to have to take his chance when it eventually comes.

I suspect Vitinha will be one of the players sold this summer.  I remember hearing Wolves were interested in bringing him back to the club.  I've also seen that Man U, Atletico & Leicester are all monitoring him as well.

Edit: Just came across the UK Sun article below:

Man Utd one of six clubs to send scouts to watch Porto win and see 'monstrous exhibition' from 'genius' midfielder (thesun.co.uk)

The 6 clubs that watched his Man of the Match performance last week vs Pacos included Man U, Leicester, Atletico, Valladolid, Tenerife, Brugge & Freiburg.

On 1/18/2022 at 12:03 PM, JasonDias said:

Porto's interest in Eustaquio will likely be based on money. If they project his stock will continue to rise and they can buy him low now, then they will make him a focal point in next year's team. Likely flipping him in the January window of 2023 if he has a stellar WC. 

As I mentioned earlier in January, I honestly believe he was brought in at a low cost to Porto with the intent to flip him next January. He isn't going to start this season. Never was Porto's intention.

Let's make another prediction, come summer, he switches agents as all the international players do at the 3 big clubs in Portugal, receives an automatic new (albeit inflated) valuation through a buyout clause, replaces either Grujic or Uribe on the S11 as one (if not both) will be sold, has a stellar 1st half and WC and then sold to a desperate Roma/Sevilla team trying to maintain a Champs/Europa spot in January 2023.  

Just a thought. 

10 hours ago, JasonDias said:

As I mentioned earlier in January, I honestly believe he was brought in at a low cost to Porto with the intent to flip him next January. He isn't going to start this season. Never was Porto's intention.

Let's make another prediction, come summer, he switches agents as all the international players do at the 3 big clubs in Portugal, receives an automatic new (albeit inflated) valuation through a buyout clause, replaces either Grujic or Uribe on the S11 as one (if not both) will be sold, has a stellar 1st half and WC and then sold to a desperate Roma/Sevilla team trying to maintain a Champs/Europa spot in January 2023.  

Just a thought. 

Love it, pretty accurate.