CPL General

11 hours ago, LAK said:

Here's @Xavier post...

This is a design concept for the potential Fraser Valley Canadian Premier League team that I have been working on. I would love to get feedback on the name (British Columbia Football Club, or BCFC for short),

....and also he added later...

I do also feel as if very little people outside of BC know what or where the Fraser Valley is, therefore making BCFC much more marketable. In a league that will want as many Canadian players playing in and hopefully will be a great development league, I think having a team focus on an entire province rather than a region or single city makes sense. Just having kids wearing BCFC t-shirts in Prince George, Kamloops, Victoria, etc makes more sense than them wearing Fraser Valley stuff. If that makes sense.

Wow, way to totally fucking curse the club (and league) by totally missing the point.

1. No kids in Victoria or Prince George will wear that foreign shit.
  2. The successful marketing of soccer revolves around the "buy LOCAL" ethos.
  3. There is no point marketing this team outside of a 90-minute travel range, no one is going to travel from Prince George to watch a game, unless  a team from PG is playing. 

If this is really the way they are thinking at the league level this project is doomed from the start. I am not joking. 

19 minutes ago, ted said:

Wow, way to totally fucking curse the club (and league) by totally missing the point.

1. No kids in Victoria or Prince George will wear that foreign shit.
  2. The successful marketing of soccer revolves around the "buy LOCAL" ethos.
  3. There is no point marketing this team outside of a 90-minute travel range, no one is going to travel from Prince George to watch a game, unless  a team from PG is playing. 

If this is really the way they are thinking at the league level this project is doomed from the start. I am not joking. 

If it helps, Footysoldiers has really pushed the hyper-local idea, and they seem very encouraged by the direction the group is going (did you get the mini episode they sent out by email? I can send it if you like). They may just be prototyping, especially if they aren't sure what city they'll end up in

BCFC does kind of roll off the tongue... British Columbia FC doesn't 

Edited by Complete Homer

22 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Just a little article on managing expectations for the league, which seems to be easy for some and hard for others lol

https://footynarrative.com/blog/2017/11/16/managing-expectations-for-the-canadian-premier-league

I don't think there's anything here that anyone would disagree with. I think that some people equate supporting the league structuring itself to allow for future pro/rel with demanding it... I think most people are just encouraged that CPL hasn't rejected it out of hand despite the fact that it might not be the best business decision. The attitude itself is encouraging 

The player development side is a legitimate critique though. While I do think CPL will be a game changer, the reality is that 8 CPL teams won't be worlds different from 3 USL teams in terms of raw playing time 

No offense to said designer and his credibility but I would assume he'd sign a non-disclosure agreement and not be posting prototype jerseys on the hardcore supporters' board for market research.  I could be wrong though but I'm skeptical, which is rare for me as an eternal optimist lol

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

No offense to said designer and his credibility but I would assume he'd sign a non-disclosure agreement and not be posting prototype jerseys on the hardcore supporters' board for market research.  I could be wrong though but I'm skeptical, which is rare for me as an eternal optimist lol

IIRC he created most of them (including this one I think?) before they contacted him. Seems like he basically made a portfolio to try to attract interest and posted it here 

Just now, Complete Homer said:

IIRC he created most of them (including this one I think?) before they contacted him. Seems like he basically made a portfolio to try to attract interest and posted it here 

Thanks for the context.  I've stayed out of that thread as it really interest me.  So bottom line is that there's no need to overreact to his post

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I don't think there's anything here that anyone would disagree with. 

Just because that BCFC nonsense put me in a foul mood I was going to object to the end where he says, "Looking forward" to 2018.  But that's being a little harsh as at least some good news should come out over the course of 2018 even if they are not playing until 2019.

5 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I wonder what the details of the exit clauses are. If it's just "if we aren't at least D2 then you can leave for 100k" then FC Edmonton could just leave now and suffer the gap year, since they currently don't have D2 sanctioning

Given that we haven't seen any of the teams rumoured to be leaving pull the trigger, there's probably a little more to it. 

North Carolina just made the official jump.  I know this has been rumoured for a while, but I wonder if the timing of this announcement reinforces the idea that those who are planning to jump should do so now.

http://www.espnfc.us/north-carolina-fc/story/3272872/north-carolina-fc-completes-move-from-nasl-to-usl

5 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I wonder what the details of the exit clauses are. If it's just "if we aren't at least D2 then you can leave for 100k" then FC Edmonton could just leave now and suffer the gap year, since they currently don't have D2 sanctioning

Given that we haven't seen any of the teams rumoured to be leaving pull the trigger, there's probably a little more to it. 

North Carolina FC enacted the exit clause earlier this week. As I understand it, teams are allowed to leave for 100k under two conditions. This first being that the league is not sanctioned as a D2 league, which is how NCFC left and how Edmonton could leave right now if they wanted to. The second being that the league is considered stable which apparently means that the league will have 10 teams even if you leave (this is how Ottawa and Tampa Bay left).

19 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Three options:

1- It's a non-professional soccer thing.

2- That's the Vancouver NWSL team.

3- That's Rob Friend's CPL group...Friend by the way, left his job in LA a year ago to start a "project" in Vancouver, and happens to be very proud of the fact that he's Six foot Five inches tall.

Address of the BCFC trademark is listed as 388 - 1111 West Hastings Street, which is the address of Knightsbridge Capital Group. President of Knightsbridge is Dean Shillington, who follows just about every CPL related account on Twitter (https://twitter.com/DeanShillington) and is followed back by Rob Friend, Joe Belan, and Lee Genier. Looks to me like the CPL Surrey group.

34 minutes ago, nate95 said:

Address of the BCFC trademark is listed as 388 - 1111 West Hastings Street, which is the address of Knightsbridge Capital Group. President of Knightsbridge is Dean Shillington, who follows just about every CPL related account on Twitter (https://twitter.com/DeanShillington) and is followed back by Rob Friend, Joe Belan, and Lee Genier. Looks to me like the CPL Surrey group.

That’s some sweet sleuthing.

31 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

That’s some sweet sleuthing.

Well now I feel like a stalker...but another interesting twitter account that he follows. Only him, Rob Friend, and Schaad following it

https://twitter.com/VanCityFC2018/followers

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I really really hope they don't go with BCFC.

How would you feel about Vancouver City FC?

20 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Well now I feel like a stalker...but another interesting twitter account that he follows. Only him, Rob Friend, and Schaad following it

Can’t be authentic though, it’s “Vancityfc2018”, we already know that 2018 isn’t happening. Odd that they would put the year in there without knowing if it was for sure, they wouldn’t want to build a following and then say “come to this new twitter feed!”

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Can’t be authentic though, it’s “Vancityfc2018”, we already know that 2018 isn’t happening. Odd that they would put the year in there without knowing if it was for sure, they wouldn’t want to build a following and then say “come to this new twitter feed!”

Probably just a placeholder account. They are still sorting out where the stadium will be (or at least very recently were). Wouldn't be surprised if an early version of the plan called for a Vancouver proper team in 2018

I do think it's authentic though, considering up until a second ago it was only followed by an owner, someone very likely an owner, and a footysoldiers host who has been in close contact with them

Edited by Complete Homer

45 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I think Vancouver City FC is better as it leaves room for future BC teams, but I'd still prefer Surrey to be in the name. That's preference I guess, but even from a marketing/SEO standpoint Vancouver City isn't optimal as Google searches like "vancouver soccer team" would leave VCFC buried by Whitecaps results. Ideally, I'd like something a little more outside the box like Fraser River/Fraser Valley FC or even Gastown FC if the team were to play in Vancouver proper, but I understand why they'd want to go with a broader term. 

Edited by harrycoyster

22 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

What if the team is announced next year and they use 2018 as the year of founding?

52 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I really really hope they don't go with BCFC.

Yea it's pretty lame. BC United would be better use of generic soccer names

7 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I am dreading an 8 team league with 4 Uniteds 

Same. I really hope some owners go "fuck all this Euro name trash" and we end up with something more North American like Calgary Mustangs or Saskatoon Fire Arrows or something zanny like Halifax Money-Pit Mystery Island is Down the Road.

#LETTHECPLBEFUN

Edited by matty

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

I'd rather have all eight teams be called United than have a single Real. That fact that the MLS team in hyper-conservative, Mormon, 80% white Salt Lake City is called Real Salt Lake blows my mind.  

Real Salt Lake is no where near as bad as Utah Jazz.

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

They moved from New Orleans.... LA Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies...

Lakers when you read the history makes sense (I know they moved but they at least had a lake to justify it) and the Grizzlies gets a pass cause it's fairly generic. Jazz however? There is nothing jazzy about the state of Utah.

Edited by matty