CPL General

Sea to Sea Podcast notes

Definitely recommended.  Lots of general talk on CPL and the influence on the developmental levels.  Couple of things that stood out to me

Sigma's Bobby Symrniotis-Was flat out asked about rumours of a working arrangement with Hamilton, said Sigma has been involved in a consulting aspect "supporting leadership in technical matters" but wouldn't comment any more than that

League One's Dino Rossi-Estimates on lost players depends on teams but conservatively 20 and at the high end 30-60 but lots of factors involved. Expects average age of league to drop and open up spots for younger players.

-Been talking to the project for two plus years.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The last numbers I heard in a podcast interview on what their business plan actually calls for is 4500-6000 and their plan apparently also envisages franchises being viable in markets with populations of 200,000 up. Canada has 20 census metropolitan areas that fit the bill on that (the largest ones may get multiple teams eventually apparently):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_census_metropolitan_areas_and_agglomerations_in_Canada

We already know that #13 and #17 on the list of CMAs are expected to be in the first seven franchises, so they do appear to be following through on that sort of vision.

I don't think all cities under 500k makes sense for the CPL, the the 2 they are consider right now (Halifax and Saskatoon) are exceptions because of their locations. I don't think the CPL would work if you've got 7 to 10 teams between Windsor and Ottawa and only 5 teams from Victoria to Winnipeg.

I really hope they reveal stuff soon cause honestly this league is wracking my head economically. How do you expect to pay the amount of money they seem on pace to pay and expect this to work with gates? It's driving me crazy!

Edited by matty

That guy's tweets are always a compelling read, but he made it sound like NASL was dead and buried last year and had all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff that suggested they were down to only four teams with the rest preparing to defect to the USL only for them to ultimately survive, so I'm not sure how reliable he is. It would only take a couple of NASL teams to publicly say that they have had enough and will be leaving at the end of the season for the whole things to shrivel up and die at this point, but despite a lot of speculation about North Carolina that has yet to happen. The Edmonton CPL angle is the closest to being this year's Ottawa and Tampa but even that still looks like it could be a plan B contingency.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

54 minutes ago, matty said:

...I really hope they reveal stuff soon cause honestly this league is wracking my head economically. How do you expect to pay the amount of money they seem on pace to pay and expect this to work with gates? It's driving me crazy!

Has Paul Beirne ever been quoted on the $1.5 million salary cap that always seems to be used as the ballpark figure? Assuming 5500 spectators per game for 15 games and an average paid ticket price per spectator of $15 (sounds low but factors in Ottawa Fury style youth soccer group sales and freebies used to get people to sample the product) you would have about $1.2 million, so that seems a bit high to me and more likely to be the total budget, if the league is primarily gate driven. My guess would be that sort of thing is aspirational more than anything else and after year one they would adjust appropriately in budgetary terms either upwards or downwards in response to whatever the fiscal realities are after the initial startup capital has been spent and they have a good read on what crowd levels are likely to be moving forward.

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Has Paul Beirne ever been quoted on the $1.5 million salary cap that always seems to be used as the ballpark figure? Assuming 5500 spectators per game for 15 games and an average paid ticket price per spectator of $15 (sounds low but factors in Ottawa Fury style youth soccer group sales and freebies used to get people to sample the product) you would have about $1.2 million, so that seems a bit high to me and more likely to be the total budget, if the league is primarily gate driven. My guess would be that sort of thing is aspirational more than anything else and after year one they would adjust appropriately in budgetary terms either upwards or downwards in response to whatever the fiscal realities are after the initial startup capital has been spent and they have a good read on what crowd levels are likely to be moving forward.

Pb hasn't yet said anything publicly and thank god cause that would cause a mess. The issue is gates are unreliable and this is likely gonna cost like $20m before year one is done (add another 20 if saskatoon does their dream stadium) when you add travel costs, stadium costs ect.

It's a good thing the people involved have hundreds of millions to play with.

I tried to build a team under a 1.5 million CAD salary cap based off of players whose salaries are reported, are pretty expendable to their current clubs, and aren't obviously underpaid. Assuming a 25-man roster and the non-starters averaging 30k a week, I'm left with 1,080,000 CAD, let's make that 876,000 USD to make working with MLS reported salaries easier. 

FW- Jordan Hamilton (CAN), $70,000

FW- Brian Wright (CAN), $60,000

MID- Bradford Jamieson (USA), $66,000

MID- Andrés Romero (ARG), $120,000

MID- Russell Teibert (CAN), $125,000

MID- Tyler Pasher (CAN), $53,000

DF- Kip Colvey (NZE), $55,000

DF- Shaun Francis (JAM), $115,000

DF- Amer Didic (CAN), $55,000

DF- Zach Lloyd (USA),  $85,000

GK- Maxime Crepeau (CAN), $75,000

= $879,000...close enough.

Obviously the CPL wouldn't be able to get all of these players at these prices and some would require a transfer fee, but this isn't really about these specific players...I'm just showing that you can make a pretty exciting, NASL or better squad with around 1.5 million CAD a year just pulling from MLS rosters. You play the market right, you could have a better team for even cheaper.

Edited by harrycoyster

Makes sense and shows they are serious about this and not just posturing for attention seeking reasons. No way do you sink $20 million into a stadium in a startup Canadian pro soccer league until the market for it has been demonstrated. This appears to be the location:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Prairieland+Park/@52.0983801,-106.6752633,158m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x5304f0c1757830db:0x634600bcb1873bc9!8m2!3d52.0984501!4d-106.6776397?hl=en

Easy to put down a Nexturf tile field there and add bleachers on the other side by the looks of things.

7 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

That is Marquis Downs, the horse racing track in Saskatoon. It's used all summer for that purpose, I don't know how you would fit soccer into there. 

No it is not. Exhibition Grandstand is a separate venue that, among other things, the "free" musical acts during play during Exibition week. Marquis Downs is a different facility on the exhibition grounds. Which is why none of these reports use the words "Marquis Downs".

Couple of more articles from Saskatoon

http://www.ckom.com/2017/09/20/council-hears-ideas-for-new-improved-recreation-facilities/

"Highlighting the pitches was a $20 million soccer stadium, which would be designed to house a Canadian Premier League team in Saskatoon.

Former Canadian national soccer player Joe Belan said the plan was to install a modular stadium with 8,200 seats in the north end of downtown.

The facility would include a turf field and bubble dome to allow for winter use.

He added they hadn’t worked out a financial plan for the stadium yet and were hoping to form a partnership with the city.

“Any financing proposal that we put forth will not impact taxpayers at all,” Belan told 650 CKOM Wednesday.

He touted the facility as a draw for international sporting events, including the possibility of acting as a training and practice facility for a national team during the 2026 World Cup.

Belan’s group is still working with the newly-minted Canadian Premier League to secure a Saskatchewan franchise, which could hit the field by 2019.

He said they would play in front of the Prairieland Park grandstand until a stadium could be built.

Once construction started, Belan said the stadium could be completed within 10 months.

“We want to be here 50 years or beyond,” he said. “This is a long-term, legacy investment.”

And nothing much new in this I can see but still http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/rec-pitch-council-1.4299537

Edited by Rheo

37 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Couple of more articles from Saskatoon.......

*wakes up. feels like shit. bitter at the world for denying me a good nights sleep and the inability to safely ride by bike to work. while drinking coffee that's black cause my gf finished, turn on laptop and goes to lawznews.com where i read this article. after becoming annoyed by the article, comes here and reads rheo's post.* "well at least saskatoon is doing interesting things with its life"