CPL General

I have seen a reasonably credible source in Quebec soccer circles state on twitter that it was a refusal to consider sharing a U-sports facilities that ended progress towards expansion in Montreal when Alex Bunbury was still involved. People tend to forget that York Lions was only supposed to be a stop gap measure, because Greenpark Homes (Baldassarra family) were talking about building a 12,000 capacity soccer specific stadium at the North Maple Regional Park location where Nick Bontis later wanted to have a national team linked facility.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

When it comes to expansion the only thing they should really be adamant about is no football lines . The second one for me is staying away from the big CFL type stadiums you have in Hamilton, Ottawa and Winnipeg if possible. The university stadiums in places like Kitchener, London and I think in Quebec City are good enough for me as long as there are no permanent football lines . I really can’t see the CPL saying no to serious investors who want to put teams in these type of cities if these were the stadiums they want to play in . We might not have the perfect stadiums but with a bit of creativity there are stadiums you can put teams in .

I think we'd all agree on no permanent football lines (ie the Regina situation), but they should be avoiding stadiums with a track as well.  I don't think that's as much of a deal breaker, but it's not ideal either.

9 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think we'd all agree on no permanent football lines (ie the Regina situation), but they should be avoiding stadiums with a track as well.  I don't think that's as much of a deal breaker, but it's not ideal either.

Beggars can't be choosers but the first thing I noticed in Choinière's goal for Grasshopper yesterday was the gaping space between the goal and stands because of the running track. 

2 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Beggars can't be choosers but the first thing I noticed in Choinière's goal for Grasshopper yesterday was the gaping space between the goal and stands because of the running track. 

Even watching a bit of West Ham yesterday you can tell the stadium has/had a running track.

The Europeans are so good at broadcasting that they often do a good job of hiding it

This just reminds me of how fortunate we are in Hamilton that our council got in to a huge debate about hosting the PanAm track events and the cost associated with it! Eventually the organizers pulled the track events from Hamilton and consequently we have no track around THF, they also lost the cycling events and a Veledrome that was to be built but that is another story!😀

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Even watching a bit of West Ham yesterday you can tell the stadium has/had a running track.

The Europeans are so good at broadcasting that they often do a good job of hiding it

If I’m not mistaken that West Ham stadium was the venue for the track and field events at the London Olympics and before it was built it was already known it would be West Ham’s new stadium once the Olympics were over. 

8 hours ago, SoccMan said:

If I’m not mistaken that West Ham stadium was the venue for the track and field events at the London Olympics and before it was built it was already known it would be West Ham’s new stadium once the Olympics were over. 

The track is still there. The lower stands are roll out, so they are closer to the pitch when in the football configuration for most of the year. However, they retract during the summer months so the venue can be used for athletics.

On 9/22/2024 at 10:06 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I have seen a reasonably credible source in Quebec soccer circles state on twitter that it was a refusal to consider sharing a U-sports facilities that ended progress towards expansion in Montreal when Alex Bunbury was still involved. 

Who are the mofos who refusal...

They refused the World Cup. They refused CPL. They're refusing everything man.

9 hours ago, ahmedou said:

Who are the mofos who refusal...

They refused the World Cup. They refused CPL. They're refusing everything man.

No, the CPL refused to use the facilities. I'm not casting judgement on that, but this isn't the same as the city declining to host the WC. The city didn't reject the CPL, the CPL declined them.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

The only real red line for me are Football lined

You clearly need standards but the only obvious one are permanent Football lines

There's so much more that's needed though,

- # of seats that the team can sell and be viable like minimum 5k.

- up to standard media facilities for broadcasts.

- seating that is up to a professional sports standard.

- enough control for securing dates for the games that work for the league.

- concession deal that's equitable.

University fields don't usually hit all the marks, especially control securing dates can be an issue.

I have been posting some FS2 audience numbers under the match threads. But a US soccer media follower has nicely compiled all the CPL/Voyageurs Cup FS2 audience numbers.

Having an MLS team involved seemed to have little impact. PFC is involved in the 2 most watched matches. HFX is part of 2 of the 3 most watched and also 2 of the 3 least watched matches. Valour hosted the 2 least watched matches.

6 hours ago, red card said:

I have been posting some FS2 audience numbers under the match threads. But a US soccer media follower has nicely compiled all the CPL/Voyageurs Cup FS2 audience numbers.

Having an MLS team involved seemed to have little impact. PFC is involved in the 2 most watched matches. HFX is part of 2 of the 3 most watched and also 2 of the 3 least watched matches. Valour hosted the 2 least watched matches.

14K is the kind of number TFC would get when they were just starting out on Canadian TV, fwiw.

^^^not entirely clear why CanPL ratings on an obscure American sports cable channel winds up with a TFC ratings on Canadian cable in 2007 comparison. Might be instructive to find out how many of these views on FS2 equate to someone simply forgetting to turn their television off before doing a deep dive using these numbers.

Also, don't think 14k was happening too often for TFC in a Canadian cable context. Maybe sometimes on The Score if a game was on a weeknight but not for the games that were on CBC on a Saturday afternoon AFAIR. Had always been under the impression that MLS games in Canada have their niche audience on cable that hasn't really grown over the last 15 years unless a playoff run is involved.  

maxime truman reported that st laurent convinced a north american investor who owns teams in england and elsewhere in europe to get a cpl franchise for st laurent...they met cpl and cpl told them its $7-9 million then said $12 million then $14 million...investor and st laurent said no thank you and then cpl contacted the investor and said it'll be much less expensive if you buy valour and its not clear if it will happen or not

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

maxime truman reported that st laurent convinced a north american investor who owns teams in england and elsewhere in europe to get a cpl franchise for st laurent...they met cpl and cpl told them its $7-9 million then said $12 million then $14 million...investor and st laurent said no thank you and then cpl contacted the investor and said it'll be much less expensive if you buy valour and its not clear if it will happen or not

What's the time frame for this, the existence of the league?