CPL General

14 hours ago, Cheeta said:

It sounds funny, but we have people who'll come out to E & C but won't go to The King's Head.  OK sure, one is a pub and the other a hotel bar and each has their own vibe but still, they're literally 4-5 downtown streets apart.  A six-ten minute walk apart.  WTF?

I've been to Winnipeg exactly once, but needed to find a bar to watch some soccer and Kings Head was where I ended up. Very accommodating (at least at the time) and thought it was a good place. Wtf indeed.

What is the purpose of transfer windows anyway?  I get that there needs to be some sort of roster lock down at some point so that teams don't, for example, keep adding new players during the playoffs but why are teams only permitted to look for players during such narrow windows?

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

What is the purpose of transfer windows anyway?  I get that there needs to be some sort of roster lock down at some point so that teams don't, for example, keep adding new players during the playoffs but why are teams only permitted to look for players during such narrow windows?

It's sort of like hunting season and fishing permits. 

4 hours ago, Kingston said:

So that big teams aren't continuously unsettling players during the season.

9 hours ago, Kingston said:

There is nothing preventing two clubs from completing a transfer outside of the specified window. It's just that the buying team wouldn't be able to register that player until the next transfer window opened. So, from a buying perspective, it makes no sense to do official business outside of the window. However, plenty of negotiation still does occur outside of the windows, setting up deals to be finalised once the next window opens.

11 hours ago, Kingston said:

It's (at least in part) to prevent a big club from raiding a smaller team doing well mid-season (as opposed to doing it during the windows). You can repress a smaller club easier if you can simply take their good players when they're doing well.

Reading up on this, according to FIFA your primary window can be up to 12 weeks. Your secondary window can only be 4 weeks.

So I'm not totally sure how MLS can mirror the Euro summer window (which is approximately 8 weeks).

Before 2002 the transfer window in England worked similar to the trade deadline in the NHL. I believe you could make moves all season until around mid March.

Edited by narduch

14 hours ago, narduch said:

Reading up on this, according to FIFA your primary window can be up to 12 weeks. Your secondary window can only be 4 weeks.

So I'm not totally sure how MLS can mirror the Euro summer window (which is approximately 8 weeks).

Before 2002 the transfer window in England worked similar to the trade deadline in the NHL. I believe you could make moves all season until around mid March.

FIFA gives you 16 weeks total. Most places go 12 for the primary, which is why they can only do 4 for the secondary. But, there's nothing stopping countries from going 8 and 8. I don't think MLS would perfectly mirror Europe, but it can be closer.

Something to keep an eye on from a Reddit thread about CanPL disappearing from an online betting website called BetRivers:

The only thing I've seen going on that looked potentially dodgy to me in a Toronto Croatia or Brantford Galaxy in the CSL sort of way was William Akio's inexplicable goalline clearance while playing for the Valour that went viral. When it's only one isolated incident like that it's OK to dismiss it as a harmless freak event. If those $200k vs $17 numbers were accurate though...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

^^^didn't take long to turn this into CanPL vs MLS but all too predictable on here. I read back through the posts of the two Redditors in question and it definitely doesn't appear to be a case of accounts that suddenly appeared out of nowhere to troll people. If anything one of them appears to be more of a CanPL fan than an MLS one.

27 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^didn't take long to turn this into CanPL vs MLS but all too predictable on here. I read back through the posts of the two Redditors in question and it definitely doesn't appear to be a case of accounts that suddenly appeared out of nowhere to troll people. If anything one of them appears to be more of a CanPL fan than an MLS one.

Which one would that be? That's the first time one of them posted about CPL. The other guy exclusively posts around the political aspects of the league (CSB deal, TV deal, expansion hopes, attendance etc) with a negative spin and outlook. Sound like anyone else we know (I'm shocked you were the one that brought this commment here)? The only match they've ever commented on was Forge vs TFC.

Edited by Aird25

Well to be fair, rumors of this sort shouldn't just be swept under the rug. Obviously this board isn't going to prove or disprove anything, but it's not like the CPL is somehow uniquely immune to match fixing. It's actually a great candidate for match fixing. Pretty low profile, and the players and officials aren't paid well which theoretically makes it easier to bribe them. And it's not like we haven't had match fixing scandals in the past in Canada (the provincial CSL, and further back the Merlion Cup, heck even a Toronto Raptor last season, if I remember correctly). Hopefully this is a false rumor or if there is something to it, hopefully it gets stamped out quickly.

7 hours ago, Kent said:

Well to be fair, rumors of this sort shouldn't just be swept under the rug. Obviously this board isn't going to prove or disprove anything, but it's not like the CPL is somehow uniquely immune to match fixing. It's actually a great candidate for match fixing. Pretty low profile, and the players and officials aren't paid well which theoretically makes it easier to bribe them. And it's not like we haven't had match fixing scandals in the past in Canada (the provincial CSL, and further back the Merlion Cup, heck even a Toronto Raptor last season, if I remember correctly). Hopefully this is a false rumor or if there is something to it, hopefully it gets stamped out quickly.

Since we have rogue leagues in Ontario wedded to match fixing it isn't so wild to think it could happen. And you're perfectly right the vulnerable setups are lower paying leagues.

But refs can be incompetent even in serious leagues, with the rule change with semi automatic offsides I've already seen a few errors in this year's Liga. So without VAR and with weak CSA review of reffing errors (something MLS tries to do better) you are asking for problems. 

7 hours ago, Kent said:

... (the provincial CSL, ...

Not massively important but worth noting that they were sanctioned by the CSA rather than the OSA at the time.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canadian-soccer-league-to-fight-decertification-1.1390707

That's how they had a high enough profile to gain access to sports betting websites globally. I seriously doubt that anybody is ever going to try to set up a club in a CanPL context to deliberately throw games after strong form had delivered lopsided odds as was rumoured to be what was happening with the Brantford Galaxy, but individual players trying to supplement their income is not at all farfetched:

14 hours ago, Kent said:

I don't think any of us are suggesting a blind eye should be turned to potential match fixing, but you take every reddit post claiming match fixing seriously, you're not going to enjoy sports. People claim it constantly about every sport, every league, every tournament, every team, every controversial call, every loss etc. But CPL is a pretty small community, and I haven't seen anyone else talking about this. From what I can tell, it's a "rumor" of 1 random redditor, and it's gotten 0 traction other than Ozzie jumping all over it, which is about the most predictable thing ever. I don't think there's anything to be swept under the rug

16 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not massively important but worth noting that they were sanctioned by the CSA rather than the OSA at the time.

True. I just wanted to differentiate that version of the CSL from the league that ran for 6 seasons in the late 80's, early 90's, for anyone that may not be familiar with the match fixing scandal.

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

I would like to see York and Ottawa win the 2 trophies this year. I think it would be a good look for the league having different teams for a change. No disrespect to Forge.

I'd be okay with Ottawa.  I'd prefer not to waste a trophy on a team that doesn't have any fans anyway.