CPL General

The year is 2046. Toronto Red Bulls play out of Lamport Stadium, now known as Red Bull-Liberty Village Bellwoods Stadium. Tickets are $3,000/ea and come with a complimentary tesla megacharger. They lose on penalties in the MLS/LigaMX Red Bull International Invitational brought to you by Apple to the Seattle Microsoft Sounders. Concacaf Champions League was wound up a decade before when MLS/LigaMX teams quit the competition.

7 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

Eh, we should definitely be prioritizing domestic owners over becoming a feeder league for international corporations. Atletico versus Red Bull, City Group versus whomever; it sounds boring and soulless.

I think they are. I just don't think there's enough interested domestic owners.

On 7/26/2024 at 5:59 PM, cornerkick said:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Sports/Red-Bull-to-enter-Japan-pro-soccer-with-J3-team-acquisition

I wonder if they would consider owing a CPL franchise in the future…

Choosing Omiya Ardiya is a bit of a strange one because Urawa Red Diamonds are from Saitama City as well and have a huge support by J League standards but I guess Red Bull just throw enough money at clubs so that it works and Omiya is almost in Tokyo. Think it's safe to assume that if they wanted a CanPL team the league would bend over backwards to accomodate it but I suspect having an MLS team with NY branding and MLS being the most watched domestic pro soccer league in Canada makes it unlikely. 

20 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Choosing Omiya Ardiya is a bit of a strange one because Urawa Red Diamonds are from Saitama City as well and have a huge support by J League standards but I guess Red Bull just throw enough money at clubs so that it works and Omiya is almost in Tokyo. Think it's safe to assume that if they wanted a CanPL team the league would bend over backwards to accomodate it but I suspect having an MLS team with NY branding and MLS being the most watched domestic pro soccer league in Canada makes it unlikely. 

Urawa Reds are owned by Mitsubishi.   It's not likely that anyone's going to wrestle them away from them.

EDIT:  To be more clear, that's Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, who make everything from air conditioners to cruise ships to satellites, and everything in between.  

Edited by vancanman

Honest question - legally how does the CPL allow Aletico Ottawa to be owned and branded by another football team and yet Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto cannot participate somehow (I get they don’t want the perceived farm team system - I’m not question the “why” - I’m trying to understand the “how”

thx

2 minutes ago, A Different Perspective said:

Honest question - legally how does the CPL allow Aletico Ottawa to be owned and branded by another football team and yet Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto cannot participate somehow (I get they don’t want the perceived farm team system - I’m not question the “why” - I’m trying to understand the “how”

thx

The league can accept/reject whoever they want as an owner. It's like essentially any other league in the world.

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The league can accept/reject whoever they want as an owner. It's like essentially any other league in the world.

Thx - I understand the “fit” and due diligence on ownership but essentially you are saying there is no checklist or standard.  Thought maybe it was a clause that owners could not own another team in North America per se.

I say this because it’s clear the league would benefit from teams in Quebec, the Maritimes and Prairies.  Local deep pocketed non MLS ownership is best but as others have shared these are hard to find.  

1 hour ago, vancanman said:

Urawa Reds are owned by Mitsubishi.   It's not likely that anyone's going to wrestle them away from them...

Sure, but the point was more that Urawa Red Diamonds are more difficult to elbow aside in terms of fan support than Lokomotive and Chemie Leipzig were. Haven't lived in Japan for over a decade but I'm not sure there's a niche for lots of caffeine in a small can when you can buy one of these from a vending machine on pretty much any corner:

800px-Suntory_Boss_Cafe_au_Lait_canned_c

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Sure, but the point was more that Urawa Red Diamonds are more difficult to elbow aside in terms of fan support than Lokomotive and Chemie Leipzig were. Haven't lived in Japan for over a decade but I'm not sure there's a niche for lots of caffeine in a small can when you can buy one of these from a vending machine on pretty much any corner:

800px-Suntory_Boss_Cafe_au_Lait_canned_c

OK, I guess your point just wasn't clear to me.  Regardless, Reds were founded by Mitsubishi 60 years ago, or so.  They're not likely to change hands.

Incidentally, you can get lots of different "can coffee" in convenience stores and supermarkets, including the one in the picture.

Edited by vancanman
Because the picture in the post I was responding to somehow showed up twice.

Well aware of that last bit. I lived and worked in Japan for seven years so I am no stranger to what Lawson, FamilyMart, etc have to offer. Only wish Canadian convenience stores were anything like as good and value for money. More into Strong Zero where Suntory was concerned but that had to wait until after the work day unlike a Boss coffee. No idea whether they would ever be on the market but I think JEF United would be ideal for Red Bull. Used to be better than they are now and have a huge chunk of the greater Tokyo area to themselves in terms of building the fanbase if money were ever spent in a big way. One of my work colleagues used to refer to them as Chibapool after Alex Miller moved there to coach them.

Opta rankings for CPL clubs as of July 30th are below. Forge leads the way at #1709 out of 13k clubs ranked. Just behind Al-Arabi of Qatar Stars League and just ahead of Rockdale Ilinden of National Premier League New South Wales Australia.

Man City has 100 rating as the best club in the world. Top non-European club is Al-Hilal at #53. Top club in the Americas is Palmeiras at #73. Club America is top LigaMX club at #79. Columbus is top MLS team at #100. Caps are at #279. CFM is at #562. TFC is ominously at #666. 

Forge is ranked behind 4 USL Championship teams with Tampa Bay leading at #1320. Lowest ranked CPL club Vancouver FC is ranked ahead of 3 USL Championship teams. 5 CPL clubs are ahead of top USL League One team Union Omaha at #2663.

All CPL clubs are ahead of top MLS NP team NYCFC 2 at #3929.

Screenshot 2024-07-30 192808.jpg

Edited by red card

Good podcast interviewing the owner of the Calgary Storm (at least, until he bailed mid season) Mike Vandale. 

Listening to the interview Vandale talks about how the Storm was originally intended to be a real estate play to get land in the centre of Calgary and he admits he never had enough money to really see the Storm through and that is why he and the Whitecaps owner bailed. I didn't really follow soccer back then but I remember the PDL team having a great buzz in their PDL season and then falling flat on and off the pitch as soon as they moved to the A-League and McMahon. 

Listening to Vandale rant about how he got no support from the city and that the venue was terrible really highlights how much better CPL ownership groups are, as they have to have significant financial backing and a proper stadium before they are even considered. 

Frustrating for those who want more teams now now now, but these teams are set up far better to at least have a chance at sustainability.

Edited by shermanator

On 8/1/2024 at 6:52 PM, shermanator said:

Good podcast interviewing the owner of the Calgary Storm (at least, until he bailed mid season) Mike Vandale. 

Listening to the interview Vandale talks about how the Storm was originally intended to be a real estate play to get land in the centre of Calgary and he admits he never had enough money to really see the Storm through and that is why he and the Whitecaps owner bailed. I didn't really follow soccer back then but I remember the PDL team having a great buzz in their PDL season and then falling flat on and off the pitch as soon as they moved to the A-League and McMahon. 

Listening to Vandale rant about how he got no support from the city and that the venue was terrible really highlights how much better CPL ownership groups are, as they have to have significant financial backing and a proper stadium before they are even considered. ...

The first year Calgary Storm did well, going to the final of the PDL. They were basically an AMSL all-star team with many very good Calgary based players and Edmonton's Lars Hirschfeld. When they entered the A-League, they had bolstered the team with some imports (including a young Tommy Wheeldon Jr.). Nik Ledgerwood got his first taste of non-amateur soccer there, as well as Ryan Gyaki. The departure of Vandale was a bitter pill, and the eventual rebranding to Calgary Mustangs and move to McMahon didn't really give the team a chance of success. Changed the landscape of Calgary soccer somewhat as several coaches / managers came here for an opportunity and never left, some becoming long time technical directors of various clubs. 

8 hours ago, narduch said:

Pacific will be in tough to make the playoffs with their current squad unless the newcomers really make a difference. I'll put my faith in management a while longer 

I'm a bit surprised by Zouhir's loan to Birmingham from Montreal. I thought CPL offered better opportunities and more flexibility. Pacific don't need another DM but I'm surprised nobody else in the league does

42 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I'm a bit surprised by Zouhir's loan to Birmingham from Montreal. I thought CPL offered better opportunities and more flexibility. Pacific don't need another DM but I'm surprised nobody else in the league does

Can Montreal loan him to a CPL club?  I thought the CPL had imposed a limit on the number of players league wide who could be on loan from MLS teams.

Given USL doesn't have a salary cap, the Birmingham Legion might have been able to offer to pick up more of his salary than any CanPl club could at the moment? Joey Saputo & Co maybe also rate USL as being the stronger environment for him to be in from a development standpoint? What happened with Tani Oluwaseyi won't have done the USL Championship's reputation any harm in MLS circles from that standpoint.

11 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Can Montreal loan him to a CPL club?  I thought the CPL had imposed a limit on the number of players league wide who could be on loan from MLS teams.

How many MLS-CPL loans are there now???  I cant think of many.