CPL General

Posted (edited)

I guess this explains why we haven't seen some of the new signings yet. It's brutal that we can't use our Ndom injury replacement in the upcoming semi-final clash. He could have made a real difference

Edited by Aird25

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

I guess it doesn't really matter in that it affects all the clubs equally so no one has any sort of advantage but it does seem like a very strange move by the CSA.

→ Because of this, new CPL signings were unable to play last weekend and won’t play in the #CanChamp tomorrow. 

Yes affects the clubs equally but to make a last minute change to align with MLS when the CPL clubs were clearly planning with the original date in mind isn't a great move - it's a bad one

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

The window has always been coordinated though. 

It makes sense to me to co-ordinate the window among all the Canadian clubs.  (Do the L1 teams also have transfer windows?)  I just don't get why the date wasn't set at the beginning of the season.

4 minutes ago, Kingston said:

It makes sense to me to co-ordinate the window among all the Canadian clubs.  (Do the L1 teams also have transfer windows?)  I just don't get why the date wasn't set at the beginning of the season.

I guess L1 does not have the same restriction as the Saint-Laurent transfers were able to play for HFX and Valour on the weekend.

8 hours ago, Kingston said:

I guess it doesn't really matter in that it affects all the clubs equally so no one has any sort of advantage but it does seem like a very strange move by the CSA.

It definitely matters for Pacific. Ndom was our best player before his season ending injury, and suddenly the player we recruited to replace him isn't allowed to play in several matches, including the biggest match of the season to date, the cup semi

Just now, Kingston said:

^  Sorry, he's saying the CPL shot down the idea of encouraging the use of younger players?  Isn't this exactly what the U21 rule is meant to do?

it's a long thread; the inception of the U21 rule is mentioned and there was pushback to that, the strategy that was shot down is this:

^^Thanks.  That makes more sense.

I would not want to see a Club MLS team in the CPL.  I would support an MLS club owing a CPL club in the same way that Atletico owns Ottawa, but that's a very different thing.

I would definitely support some sort of fluidity of movement of Canadian talent among L1, CLP, and MLS teams.  That could only help player devleopment.

Edited by Kingston

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

^  Sorry, he's saying the CPL shot down the idea of encouraging the use of younger players?  Isn't this exactly what the U21 rule is meant to do?

Shot it down in 2019 when there was still lots of talk about how they were nobody's development league. The following has always been a no brainer if the top priority was building the strongest possible pathways for top Canadian prospects:

but daring to suggest that sort of thing on this subforum at around that time basically just led to a barrage of personal abuse. Not surprised there was plenty of push back going on inside the league as well but pleasantly surprised to hear that there were people trying to push things in that direction.

I'm glad Pacific leads the U21 minutes currently, but I would trade that in a second to be top of the table. Gage sounds like he only considers player development and gives not a single thought to the fans, the overall competition, the business side of the game or any other aspect. I really don't think he should be releasing info about the league in this way given his former positions. 

Regardless, his plan would pretty much guarantee that the best young players would always choose to be signed to MLS teams, and that CPL teams would only be able to make minimal profits from player development. It makes absolutely no sense for CPL, when instead they can compete for prospects and control any sale prices

Edited by Aird25

Yeah because who would ever agree to invest hundreds of millions and go in the red every year just to be a glorified reserve league for 3 clubs?

Just not realistic from a business perspective, had Liga MX pitched that to MLS in the mid-90s they would have laughed them out the room as well

32 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yeah because who would ever agree to invest hundreds of millions and go in the red every year just to be a glorified reserve league for 3 clubs?

Just not realistic from a business perspective, had Liga MX pitched that to MLS in the mid-90s they would have laughed them out the room as well

Remember as well this was all happening before Next Pro. Imagine if they pulled out after 2 years

CSA = Still a joke

STATEMENT: MEN’S PROFESSIONAL TRANSFER WINDOWS

https://canadasoccer.com/news/statement-mens-professional-transfer-windows/

Canada Soccer Statement

Canada Soccer is providing an update on the men’s professional transfer windows, an item that is part of its regulatory oversight responsibilities.

Background:
Canada Soccer has historically aligned its professional male transfer calendar with the U.S. Soccer Federation to ensure consistency of transfer windows for Canadian-based Major League Soccer (MLS) clubs with the rest of the MLS. This alignment has been maintained since the inception of the Canadian Premier League (CPL) in 2019 without any conflicts.

However, as the CPL continues to grow, and its competitive and business needs evolve, Canada Soccer’s longstanding practice of defaulting to the U.S. Soccer Federation’s transfer windows may no longer be the right solution. Canada Soccer has a responsibility to structure its professional soccer regulations in a manner that serves all domestic professional soccer members in the best possible way. FIFA regulations currently do not permit clubs within the same country to operate on different transfer window calendars.

Transfer windows in 2024:
The process of determining Canada Soccer’s 2024 transfer windows began in late 2023, with much of the communication between stakeholders about this issue taking place in early 2024.

The CPL preferred a secondary transfer window that would start on July 5. The MLS wished to maintain alignment with the U.S. Soccer Federation’s secondary transfer window, which starts on July 18.

To reconcile this discrepancy, Canada Soccer sought a regulatory exception from FIFA that would allow the three Canadian MLS clubs to adhere to U.S. Soccer Federation transfer windows. This would allow the Canada Soccer transfer windows to differ without creating a misalignment for the Canadian MLS clubs. Unfortunately, this exception was not approved, and was further denied on appeal.

Accordingly, Canada Soccer determined a compromise and communicated to MLS and CPL that the secondary transfer window in Canada would start on July 12, 2024 – one week later than preferred by CPL and one week earlier than favoured by MLS.

Moving forward:
Creating regulations for professional soccer stakeholders who have different preferences for the transfer window calendar is complex. It will require compromise from stakeholders and strong leadership from Canada Soccer, who has a responsibility to serve all domestic professional soccer stakeholders in the most appropriate way. Canada Soccer will continue to engage in dialogue with MLS and CPL to find the best possible solutions moving forward.