CPL General

17 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think what was clarified during the conversation in the podcast was that the number 16 means they've signed 16 NDAs but that doest mean there are 16 groups at the moment going balls to the wall trying to start a CPL team. I'm not sure what all the excitement is about?

It's exciting to know that there is interest towards the league but like you said doesn't mean they will all get a team, let alone that they are all quality bids. I expect most to go nowhere.

Signing an NDA is not a bid. You obviously need a bunch of financial and other information before you'd ever get anywhere close to be awarded or getting serious about owning a CPL franchise. They don't hand that information over to anyone who asks. So there is a vetting process and if they think a group or person checks a few boxes then they sign an NDA agreement and the league starts to talk turkey with them. So 16 creditable people have expressed interest in owning a CPL franchise. That's it, that's all

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The commissioner of the one true holy and apostolic Canadian soccer league has spoken ex cathedra on this matter, so it is now the infallible truth for some people on here. 

Better than you acting like the all seeing Pantocrator, sitting on your holy seat. But from a living room in London from where you've never ventured to watch a CPL game. 

Anyways, the commissioner has accountability, you don't. And you don't have critical capacity. So we are just left with eyeballing and conspiracy theories.

Yeah, nobody here thinks the NDA count means those are the number of people with access to a viable stadium and the money to say "How much will it take to get started, I'll offer $5 million, is that cool or do you want to make a counter offer?" For all we know 10 of them are presidents of provincial soccer associations asking "What can we do to help bring a (or another) team to my province? And no, I don't have the money to start one myself." And for all we know the other 6 are all from the same city saying "I'll start a team here if you guys can get the government to build a stadium down town." I have no idea why this has been such a talking point, since it's completely unverifiable, impossible to disprove, and also we don't even know what it means to have someone at the NDA step in things.

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I suggested that he's a salesman which is what he is when expansion is involved. Wouldn't be surprised if he even had a commission percentage written into his contract in that context. The idea that he's in any way comparable to a girl guide selling cookies would be what would be truly patronising.

I wasn't comparing him to a girl guide selling cookies. My original comment was a response to your hypothesis that some of the NDAs may have been signed in 2017 and the people involved could have lost interest years ago. I was telling you one thing that the commissioner said on record (that it's the most such NDA's during his tenure, or maybe in league history, I don't remember which) and the only other thing I said was that I heard (but wasn't sure of the source) that it was claimed that all the NDA signers were at the final, to which I said "if true would indicate none of them are groups that lost interest years ago, but are rather still engaged with the league."

That caused you to suggest not just that he is a salesman (I know he's a salesman and will try to say things in the most positive way possible), but rather seemed to imply that he is a crooked salesman, the kind who would roll the odometer back on the used cars he sells to commit fraud. You haven't posed any reason for you to believe that he is a fraudulent liar, so I brought up the girl guide thing because you are giving me vibes that you are someone who thinks everyone is lying all the time, and/or out to get you.

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Without wanting to add to one narrative too much, AFTN's podcast yesterday discussed the "16 NDAs". They reached out to someone behind the scenes at the CPL, who sort of said that was news to them. So, it sounds like that number may have been exaggerated by Noonan.

https://aftn.ca/episode-585-the-aftn-soccer-show/

it is quite common to sign an NDA with someone and one of the clauses is that you cannot disclose the fact there is an NDA between the parties.  Quite frequently, these are held tightly in companies legal departments and only people that need to know, know about them.

You don't need to look too hard to find people who were conflating the existence of previously signed NDAs with currently active bids to invest in expansion teams:

No idea to what extent Mark Noonan led people down that particular garden path because I haven't found time to listen to his speech yet, but if this graphic is anything to go by other potential weasel wordings he may have used revolve around people missing the significance of "aiming" and "update" and assuming points two and three in the graphic above are referring to something concrete that is just around the corner rather than to ambitious aspirational goals.

We know the 777 group were kicking the tires where York United are concerned so what happens around the end of November will be of interest in that context. If anything has come out of that we should know the outcome very soon.

14 hours ago, narduch said:

The bigger story is Noonan aiming for 2 new teams by 2025 and 2 more in 2026.

I'm happy to hear there is some level of interest out there.  At this point, I'm going to wait until I hear more solid details about specific bids before I get too excited.  Not too long ago, the league was aiming to have 16 teams by 2026 and be looking at splitting into two divisions.  Again, I'm happy to hear about interest but I'd like to hear about more than just what someone is aiming at.

8 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I'm happy to hear there is some level of interest out there.  At this point, I'm going to wait until I hear more solid details about specific bids before I get too excited.  Not too long ago, the league was aiming to have 16 teams by 2026 and be looking at splitting into two divisions.  Again, I'm happy to hear about interest but I'd like to hear about more than just what someone is aiming at.

12 teams by the start of 2026 would be pretty amazing in my opinion 

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Yeah, the countdown on a York update is already down to 25 days, though I'm not sure the league realizes the "30 days" is a variable that counts down, rather than a constant set to 30 to stay there until they choose to change it.

He also did not mention if it's 30 WORKING or calender days .😁

On 10/31/2023 at 3:17 PM, jonovision said:

Who is this Alexis character, and should we care?

I don't know his background, but he is the guy on some soccer talk show that I think is on CBS Sports that has been talking up CPL recently. So an American guy, on an American network, and he has had segments a couple minutes long talking about the U21 rule, the playoff format, hyping up the final, and various teams from the league have been sending him and the rest of the pundits jerseys that have been featured on the show. It was shortly after this show started talking about CPL (and getting some love online from CPL fans) that Sportsnet started showing highlights of playoff games, but of course we don't know if those 2 things are related.

...or London where I no longer live but plan to retire to again in the ever closer not too distant future. If they adjusted their expectations on stadia and downsized their economic model somewhat I doubt there would be a huge impact on playing standards but their expansion possibilities would increase markedly from coast to coast. Not so easy to charge $10 million for an expansion fee at that point though but it would be a lot more in tune with an independent club model.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

26 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...or London where I no longer live but plan to retire to again in the ever closer not too distant future. If they adjusted their expectations on stadia and downsized their economic model somewhat I doubt there would be a huge impact on playing standards but their expansion possibilities would increase markedly from coast to coast. Not so easy to charge $10 million for an expansion fee at that point though but it would be a lot more in tune with an independent club model.

You still wouldn't go to a game you fucktard.