CPL General

Thoughts on the idea of Canadian Premier League teams entering the CONCACAF Caribbean Cup? Currently, CPL has no regional continental competition.   

Some are angry that the CPL gets two entrees into the CONCACAF Champions Cup, and Central American teams only get 5 collectively. Please for the sake of discussion assume that the issue is resolved (such as increasing it to 32 teams by automatically qualifying for central american teams for example). 

The schedule works well for the CPL:

image.png.3f3ebbc9be1a31b02b4f39b59fbbc614.png

Add maybe 2 CPL teams and maybe some Puerto Rican, Hattian, Martinique or Suriname teams to make 15 teams, 3 groups of 5. 2 best 3rd place finishers added into the round of 8.

Travel distances would be far however the level of play would be well matched.

3 minutes ago, Sonny Heung-min said:

Thoughts on the idea of Canadian Premier League teams entering the CONCACAF Caribbean Cup? Currently, CPL has no regional continental competition.   

Some are angry that the CPL gets two entrees into the CONCACAF Champions Cup, and Central American teams only get 5 collectively. Please for the sake of discussion assume that the issue is resolved (such as increasing it to 32 teams by automatically qualifying for central american teams for example). 

The schedule works well for the CPL:

image.png.3f3ebbc9be1a31b02b4f39b59fbbc614.png

Add maybe 2 CPL teams and maybe some Puerto Rican, Hattian, Martinique or Suriname teams to make 15 teams, 3 groups of 5. 2 best 3rd place finishers added into the round of 8.

Travel distances would be far however the level of play would be well matched.

I assume there would need to be some money and incentives involved to entice any of these teams to travel

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The Leagues Cup is where the CanPL clubs should have been. They were included in an initial proposed format for a North American Cup. Don't think the Caribbean Cup would be a good match in playing standard terms. The Central American Cup would be better from that angle.

I like the idea of CPL clubs in the Leagues Cup, seems to be the most natural home, but I don't know if the CPL is ready for it. It would offer some great competition for CPL clubs, but the Leagues Cup will be hosted by American teams only, at least that's the current format. That means CPL teams have additional travel and no hosted games. Plus they won't be a big draw stateside like the Liga MX teams. So it really doesn't make sense for either side for CPL to particpate in it. 

If they could sort out the format and not have every game in the USA maybe it could work?

Here's my attempt at three team groups that adhere to geography. It was challenging but I was able to do it having just a single group (Central 1) with only MLS teams. Maybe eventual CPL expansion to Saskatchwean could remedy that.  

North East 1

• New England Revolution
  • Halifax Wanderers
  • New York City FC

North East 2

• CF Montreal
  • Atletico Ottawa
  • New York Red Bull

North East 3

• Toronto FC
  • York United
  • Philadelphia Union

North East 4

• Forge FC
  • Columbus
  • DC United

Central 1

• Minnesota
  • Valour
  • Chicago

Central 2

• St. Louis
  • Sporting Kansas City
  • Cincinnati

North West 1

• Vancouver Whitecaps
  • Cavalry FC
  • Portland

North West 2

• Seattle
  • Pacific FC
  • Real Salt Lake

North West 3

• Colorado
  • Vancouver FC
  • Edmonton FC (they don't exist right now, but need one more team)

South East 1

• Inter Maimi
  • Charlotte
  • UNAL Tigres

South East 2

• Orlando
  • Nashville
  • CF Monterrey 

South East 3

• Atlanta United
  • Pachuca
  • Puebla

South Central 1

• FC Dallas
  • America
  • UNAM

South Central 2

• Austin
  • Toluca
  • Cruz Azul

South Central 3

• Houston
  • Santos Laguna
  • Leon

South West 1

• San Jose
  • Tijuana
  • Necaxa

South West 2

• LAFC
  • Chivas Guadalajara CD
  • Mazatlan

South West 3

• LA Galaxy
  • Atlas
  • Queretaro

South West 4

• San Diego (Expansion 2025)
  • San Luis
  • Juarez

Instead of playing in the Caribbean Cup, Central American Cup, or Leagues Cup, here is my idea. Burn down all three of those competitions, bring back the group stage in Champions League, bring back CONCACAF League and give it a group stage too. Use coefficients to determine how many teams each country sends to each competition, and max it out at 4 or 5 per country per competition please!

11 hours ago, Kent said:

Instead of playing in the Caribbean Cup, Central American Cup, or Leagues Cup, here is my idea. Burn down all three of those competitions, bring back the group stage in Champions League, bring back CONCACAF League and give it a group stage too. Use coefficients to determine how many teams each country sends to each competition, and max it out at 4 or 5 per country per competition please!

I would add that you don't have to get rid of the regional cups per say but CCL and CL should be at the forefront. As for the League Cup, they burden of dealing with schedule congestion should be put entirely on MLS and Liga MX. CONCACAF should not be the one adjusting their competition to please them

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

I would add that you don't have to get rid of the regional cups per say but CCL and CL should be at the forefront. As for the League Cup, they burden of dealing with schedule congestion should be put entirely on MLS and Liga MX. CONCACAF should not be the one adjusting their competition to please them

The biggest two leagues in the region will get priority when it comes to things like this . I’m not saying it’s right but it is what it is , moreover , probably a money thing also . 

4 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

The biggest two leagues in the region will get priority when it comes to things like this . I’m not saying it’s right but it is what it is , moreover , probably a money thing also . 

That and it prevents them from saying, "Well forget the CCL then because we'd rather make money selling out stadiums against each other instead of drawing poorly to play some team from Honduras."

Nah, with the "expanded" Club World Cup - CCL becomes more important than before, same with the series against Conmebol - both can only be accessed via CCL.

Also, you have to capitalize on having Messi in your region which won't be forever - the group stage means more Messi games and more eyeballs on the competition throughout the region and abroad

Don't be shocked if CONCACAF announces yet again another new format which seems to be almost yearly at this point.

Edited by Ansem

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

Nah, with the "expanded" Club World Cup - CCL becomes more important than before, same with the series against Conmebol - both can only be accessed via CCL.

World Club Cup, yes. CONMEBOL tournament still tbd. Most recent rumour was the CCL winner and the Leagues Cup winner.

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

World Club Cup, yes. CONMEBOL tournament still tbd. Most recent rumour was the CCL winner and the Leagues Cup winner.

Putting aside the rumors, it says CONCACAF and Conmebol club competitions - Libertadores, Sudamericana and CCL are it, another reason to bring Concacaf League back.

Screenshot_20230929-074447_X.thumb.jpg.78ee5b3f970857212a76741cc0086c37.jpg