CPL General

Question for close watchers of the league: do you think the quality of play overall has improved, stayed the same, or worsened since 2019?

I don't think I can answer this question fairly since, as the table shows, there are two teams that are not even close to the level of the other six this season, and one is the team I've watched almost exclusively this year.

Just now, jonovision said:

Question for close watchers of the league: do you think the quality of play overall has improved, stayed the same, or worsened since 2019?

I don't think I can answer this question fairly since, as the table shows, there are two teams that are not even close to the level of the other six this season, and one is the team I've watched almost exclusively this year.

Slightly improved. I don't think enough though. Not a clear jump in quality with higher pay and more roster and coaching continuity. Still some poor things happening. No specific team or set of players establishing a standard for excellence.

Case in point is how in Voyageurs Cup the first season they could push the MLS teams and now it's more or less the same.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not a clear jump in quality with higher pay and more roster and coaching continuity.

In fairness, the jump in pay was only enough to make it marginally viable to be a pro soccer player in the CPL.  It will help retain guys who might have tried the CPL anyway but it is not yet high enough to really attract talent.

CPL ranked 10th amongst Americas league transfers to Europe this year with 12.

Of the MLS transfers, 6 were Canadian, 12 American and 45 rest of the world. Of the USL transfers, it was 5 American and 15 international.

These numbers include free transfers which for instance accounts for the majority of USL's numbers.

Edited by red card

19 minutes ago, red card said:

CPL ranked 10th amongst Americas league transfers to Europe this year with 12.

Of the MLS transfers, 6 were Canadian, 12 American and 45 rest of the world. Of the USL transfers, it was 5 American and 15 international.

These numbers include free transfers which for instance accounts for the majority of USL's numbers.

It's interesting, but I'm curious if we know how many of these transfers involve players returning home. ie of the international players, how many were players who came over to NA to take their shot, didn't make it, and are now just returning their home country on a free transfer.

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I know some of these were last summer, but here are a few names off the top of my head: Tabla, Loturi, Pepple, Ntignee, Zator, Kratt, Diaz, Bustos, Akio, Peña, 

Take those 10 plus a keeper you'd have probably the best starting 11 in the league. So I'm just saying that the ones who've gone mostly deserved to.

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Curiosity:

Which airport do teams (flying on WestJet obviously) use for Vancouver FC?

Abbotsford? or Vancouver? (or either one depending on the timing of flights?)

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbotsford_International_Airport

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_International_Airport

I think both depending, as you say.

On 9/5/2023 at 12:15 PM, red card said:

Whether the stats are correct or not, putting them alongside how many teams are in the league is interesting (to me at least)

95 Brasileirao Serie A (25 teams)

63 Major League Soccer (29 teams)

46 Liga Profesional (28 teams)

22 Liga BBVA MX (18 teams) 

20 USL Championship (24 teams)

20 Campeonato Uruguayo (16 teams)

19 Liga BetPlay Dimayor (20 teams)

14 Liga Futve (15 teams)

13 Liga Pro Serie A (16 teams)

12 Canadian PL  (8 teams)

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Whether the stats are correct or not, putting them alongside how many teams are in the league is interesting (to me at least)

14 Liga Futve (15 teams)

1.5 transfers per team, fourth best.

9 hours ago, toontownman said:

14 Liga Futve (15 teams)

If he counted USL he should have counted Brasileirao B. Likely would have been 4th. Who cares statement of the day but just saying 

On 9/6/2023 at 4:31 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Curiosity:

Which airport do teams (flying on WestJet obviously) use for Vancouver FC?

Abbotsford? or Vancouver?

On 9/6/2023 at 9:54 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think both depending, as you say.

I am at YVR right now, about to fly back to Ottawa and the players are on the same Westjet flight as me.

So I've somewhat answered my own question. 😄

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille