CPL General

we are asked to believe nothing is wrong financially at sixfive even with heavy financial losses from each of the two pro teams not having great attendance so surely it cant be about money...and a year or more after talking about looking to buy a club in europe theres no word on that

47 minutes ago, Big_M said:

we are asked to believe nothing is wrong financially at sixfive even with heavy financial losses from each of the two pro teams not having great attendance so surely it cant be about money...and a year or more after talking about looking to buy a club in europe theres no word on that

They're facing heavy financial losses?

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

With Montreal fans waking up to the fact that there won't be any competitive games for the next 3 weeks do to the season being interrupted by the League Cup, I'd say CPL is better off without them.

Why? We frequently call on MLS to take a break for the Gold Cup/World Cup, and that should be at least 3 weeks. This isn't a judgment on the CPL not being in, simply that 3 week breaks should actually be happening almost annually already.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Why? We frequently call on MLS to take a break for the Gold Cup/World Cup, and that should be at least 3 weeks. This isn't a judgment on the CPL not being in, simply that 3 week breaks should actually be happening almost annually already.

Oh please. There's a difference between a continental cup for which they don't even stop already or a World Cup and a "league cup".

3 weeks with no games, not great for the fans

Edited by Ansem

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Oh please. There's a difference between a continental cup for which they don't even stop already or a World Cup and a "league cup".

3 weeks with no games, not great for the fans

Germany seems to do ok shutting down the Bundesliga for about 6 weeks.  Scotland shutdown for a few weeks. Other European countries shutdown for a few weeks, all during winter. I don't think this is the catastrophe you think it is.  But you're welcome to not watch or enjoy the Leagues Cup.

20 hours ago, Stanley said:

I'm amazed CBC even bothered to report that.  They seem too busy promoting cricket these days.

It's a Canadian Press article. They literally just had to plug it into their CMS as-is and post it.

52 minutes ago, RS said:

It's a Canadian Press article. They literally just had to plug it into their CMS as-is and post it.

So you're saying CBC didn't send their hatchet man to destroy the CPL and they're just reporting something negative? Interesting.

Recent podcast interview with Mark Noonan:

...wants to split the league in half east and west to cut back on travel and would do so if they can reached 12 clubs was an interesting snippet. Mentions Kelowna specifically as a market they are talking to amongst a dozen with active discussions and wants 16 to 18 teams eventually.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Recent podcast interview with Mark Noonan:

...wants to split the league in half east and west to cut back on travel and would do so if they can reached 12 clubs was an interesting snippet. Mentions Kelowna specifically as a market they are talking to amongst a dozen with active discussions and wants 16 to 18 teams eventually.

Not able to listen at the moment, but did he suggest in his comments that there would be fewer east-west games, or none at all (until the playoffs, perhaps)?

A Vancouver to Winnipeg trip is easier, physiologically, than Vancouver to Ottawa, for example, but I doubt the travel cost equation changes a whole lot, except for those teams that are already advantaged by having a nearby opponent (the Ontario teams, BC teams if they added a third).

22 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Not able to listen at the moment, but did he suggest in his comments that there would be fewer east-west games, or none at all (until the playoffs, perhaps)?

A Vancouver to Winnipeg trip is easier, physiologically, than Vancouver to Ottawa, for example, but I doubt the travel cost equation changes a whole lot, except for those teams that are already advantaged by having a nearby opponent (the Ontario teams, BC teams if they added a third).

If the plan is too keep the season at 28 games you will need to start unbalancing the schedule a bit as you add teams 

Edited by narduch

1 minute ago, narduch said:

If the plan is too keep the season at 28 games you will need to start unbalancing the schedule a bit as you add teams 

And I suspect it will stay at 28 due to weather constraints.

I'd have no problem with a schedule that is unbalanced with the extra games being determined geographically, but I wouldn't want to see a literal east-west split.

2 minutes ago, Kingston said:

And I suspect it will stay at 28 due to weather constraints.

I'd have no problem with a schedule that is unbalanced with the extra games being determined geographically, but I wouldn't want to see a literal east-west split.

It also complicates the second Concacaf spot. At least with a balanced schedule the winner of that spot won it fairly. 

Although maybe only needs like me care about that