CPL General

29 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Friend isn't exactly the money though, and this group selling has been the rumour for a long time at this point. I think it would take a considerable investment for them to actually sell, considering what they've built with Pacific, the Island Training centre, VI Wave, and everything else in the community. I don't think them considering options has much to do with attendance. The group is clearly in it for more than a short term, single CPL club. That's been proven in their actions and desire to expand into Europe, and stadium construction

I mean, I don't think it's a "dropping the keys on the commissioner's desk and walking away like York" scenario, but I think they'd much prefer to sell and concentrate on VFC. 

59 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I mean, I don't think it's a "dropping the keys on the commissioner's desk and walking away like York" scenario, but I think they'd much prefer to sell and concentrate on VFC. 

My understanding is that the ownership group is Six Five Sports which includes Friend, who's publicly indicated that he's focused on Vancouver operations; Simpson who is publicly focused on Pacific operations; and Shillington who seems to be the main money behind the project, in addition to Starlight investments. If someone came in and offered them a reasonable offer for all their Pacific related properties, and promised to continue to invest in CPL and keep the league alive they might very well sell, but I think their vision is much bigger than just Vancouver. They need the sport to take hold here so that they can continue to grow and development their sports and infrastructure ambitions

Edited by Aird25

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

My understanding is that the ownership group is Six Five Sports which includes Friend, who's publicly indicated that he's focused on Vancouver operations; Simpson who is publicly focused on Pacific operations; and Shillington who seems to be the main money behind the project, in addition to Starlight investments. If someone came in and offered them a reasonable offer for all their Pacific related properties, and promised to continue to invest in CPL and keep the league alive they might very well sell, but I think their vision is much bigger than just Vancouver. They need the sport to take hold here so that they can continue to grow and development their sports and infrastructure ambitions

I don't think we're really disagreeing much. My understanding is Shillington would also rather concentrate on the Vancouver team, and I think everyone would rather have more investors in the league. Again, that doesn't mean Six Five is walking away, just that their preference is still to sell Pacific rather than hold on to two clubs.

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

What's wrong with empty seats? I saw lots of empty seats on Hamilton over the weekend. I saw lots of empty seats at the last Whitecaps game

They play in huge football stadiums, of course there will be lots of empty seats. Great response.

Edited by Soccerpro2

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think we're really disagreeing much. My understanding is Shillington would also rather concentrate on the Vancouver team, and I think everyone would rather have more investors in the league. Again, that doesn't mean Six Five is walking away, just that their preference is still to sell Pacific rather than hold on to two clubs.

What we seem to be disagreeing on is that they're looking to sell as a result of attendance and because they're no longer invested. That's what you countered

Edited by Aird25

58 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

They play in huge football stadiums, of course there will be lots of empty seats. Great response.

I dont know.. 

Hamilton 20k empty seats

Vancouver Whitecaps 38k empty seats!

Vancouver FC 4k empty

It's not even close

Next time make sure come prepared with facts

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

What we seem to be disagreeing on is that they're looking to sell as a result of attendance and because they're no longer invested. That's what you countered

Ah, I see where the confusion is. Your comment was that "they just bought a 2nd team", but my comment was intended more as "because they want to sell the first one and concentrate on the new one." Not directly a comment on Pacific attendance. And I stand by my comment, in part because I recall Pacific posters on this forum in the off-season/pre-season saying exactly that and in part because we know that the lower mainland was always their preferred destinationfor a team. If that's not how it feels right now from your perspective, that's good to know.

On 7/16/2023 at 12:45 PM, nolando said:

I think part of the elephant in the room must be the relatively cool reception that Vancouver FC has received. If this club, and the quick-build stadium experience, had drawn something closer in support and buzz to Halifax and less like York, then you can bet Kelowna, Quebec, and the prairies would all be lining up for a piece of the action. I think the Diaz aquisition is a sure sign that Friend and Co do take this very seriously but also that they realise that this might be a time-sensitive opportunity.

I suspect anyone connected to CPL expansion plans is in a hold-your-breath-and-hope mode.

I think what people often overlook is the competitiveness of the sports marketplace in a city. One of the reasons Halifax has done so well is that the CPL is kind of the only game in town. Not just for soccer, but for something that can be pointed to as a Division 1 sport. Small cities tend to rally around their teams. 

8 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I just got an email that says European veteran joins Vancouver FC

Is Doneil considered a European veteran? I guess maybe

That was referring to Renan Garcia as he's played for U.C. Sampdoria in Italy, CFR Cluj in Romania, and Vitória S.C. and S.C. Beira-Mar in Portugal.

38 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

That was referring to Renan Garcia as he's played for U.C. Sampdoria in Italy, CFR Cluj in Romania, and Vitória S.C. and S.C. Beira-Mar in Portugal.

Yah i thought that after the fact but it read a little clumsy 

New "Exceptional Young Talent" category adds two roster spots.

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-announces-expansion-of-developmental-roster-exceptional-young-talent-category

Three current CPL players have now been designated Exceptional Young Talent:

• Taryck “TJ” Tahid (Vancouver FC)
• Khadim Kane (Forge FC)
• James Cameron (Vancouver FC)

(edit) Also:

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-exceptional-young-talent/

Edited by K Edgar

So the Master roster can now be up to 25 players with spots 24 and 25 to U18 players on a standard player contract which will not count toward the cap + still possible to have a max of 4 development contracts at a time

Looks good overall as rosters were too small but not sure its a good look to add rules mid-season...is it done mid-season to help teams get across the line in U21 minutes requirements?

And the other question is will all teams use this rule and ensure that they have enough players all the time on the regular roster? Or will it create a bigger gap between some teams? Will some teams still travel to away games with 5 subs?

18 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-announces-expansion-of-developmental-roster-exceptional-young-talent-category

• Khadim Kane (Forge FC)

I think this makes it even harder for small market clubs who are unlikely to have any local young CPL level talent in their area to draw on (Valour, Wanderers)

Edited by Soccerpro2

Just now, Cheeta said:

Domestic, have to sign as an U18, can keep the designation until they reach 22ish, and won't count against the salary cap.

Not interested in this sort of Tom-foolery.  Going to have to live with I guess it but I'm not going to like it.

It’s a big move, the money is in this age group and this is who we can sell. It pushes team to not only sign U’s but to play them and sell them. There’s no cap cost to this. Would imagine a U-18 minutes rule could be in talks.

For the long-term this just seems like a way to entice clubs into taking a chance on local young players. If there's a decent 16-17 y/o who shows promise a club can sign him for cheap for 2-3 years, if works out, great, if not it's not a wasted roster spot or cap hit. I wonder if this is a measure for some teams to expand their rosters when concacaf games start happening again.

48 minutes ago, Big_M said:

...And the other question is will all teams use this rule and ensure that they have enough players all the time on the regular roster? Or will it create a bigger gap between some teams? Will some teams still travel to away games with 5 subs?

...or is it all a desperate ploy to avoid having to kick York out of the playoffs? Confused? You will be after this week's episode of Soap.

Interesting timeline:

Vancouver FC goes to Ottawa with 16 players to face Atletico on July 16th...at this point they had a full primary roster of 23 players...the 16 players for this away game include James Cameron who used to be on a development contract and had played his maximum 6 matches...this was his 7th match with Vancouver

On July 20th the league announces the Exceptional Young Talent category and announces that it came into effect on July 14th...Vancouver announces that it signed James Cameron to a contract for one the EYT spots and that it also moved Tahid to that category...which is what allowed Cameron to play on July 16th

-------------------------------

What really is going on with Vancouver FC? We've heard rumors about them trying to force players out and wanting to make a lot of changes. For the July 16th game even though only 2 of their 23 were listed as injured and they had no suspensions they played Ottawa with 16 on the sheet and a new rule that was announced on July 20th allowed them to play Cameron. It seems like Ghotbi is very unhappy with a lot of the signings and everyone is trying to accommodate him

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

• Khadim Kane (Forge FC)

(edit) Also:

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-exceptional-young-talent/

I hadn't heard of that third player. He doesn't look U18.
image.png.99e245865485d6d467f51beb940806e8.png

I guess he is in the top 3 all time most famous CPL players, to go along with these 2 guys.
image.png.6f7a13078d6dca5a72cca47ee8314c40.png

image.png.05ba42e5878e36ff4f170b2ec6b19f4a.png