CPL General

2 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Yes, and even then he wouldn't likely achieve fame outside of CPL circles before leaving the CPL.

For the foreseeable future, I don't see the CPL having any one player who is going to sell out stadiums on his own the way, say, Beckham did when he came to MLS.  Someone that a non-CPL soccer fan would say, "Wow, he's in town?  I'm definitely going pick up tickets."  Those guys are relatively rare to begin with and are way above the CPL pay level.

The only way they might draw in new people is if they get sold to a much higher level, but continue playing for the rest of the CPL season. Even then, it's short-lived, and only interesting for soccer fans who don't go to CPL games. The average person wouldn't care too much. That could still be a good boost to attendance for a few months.

Getting the location right for future new teams is so important. Halifax is a prime example. Toronto, Vancouver & Montreal have too much competition for entertainment bucks in general as well as MLS teams.  Boosting game attendance is going to be a challenge but as long as it's moving in the right direction.  It's a bit disappointing to see the U21 mins for some teams as player transfers could be a source of revenue that doesn't require fans in the stadiums or sponsors. Not easy  but there are talented young 17/18/19 yr old players out there not attached to MLS academies. Sigur and even Kone who was not attached until later are just 2 examples. Then there are all the players that go to NCAA. Some may take that option to get a college degree, but many were not attached to MLS teams.

21 hours ago, Cicero said:

The only way they might draw in new people is if they get sold to a much higher level, but continue playing for the rest of the CPL season. Even then, it's short-lived, and only interesting for soccer fans who don't go to CPL games. The average person wouldn't care too much. That could still be a good boost to attendance for a few months.

The CBC is reporting that Messi is leaving Barcelona:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/soccer-messi-mls-inter-miami-report-1.6868215

They say he's going to Miami in MLS, but maybe it isn't too late for a CPL team to make their move!  Maybe the league maximum salary and a chance to live in Winnipeg would lure him?

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

The CBC is reporting that Messi is leaving Barcelona:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/soccer-messi-mls-inter-miami-report-1.6868215

They say he's going to Miami in MLS, but maybe it isn't too late for a CPL team to make their move!  Maybe the league maximum salary and a chance to live in Winnipeg would lure him?

Hey, there's the massive potential upside to the franchise value...I mean how much further do MLS franchises have to grow, but CPL franchises on the other hand...a chance to get in on the bottom floor.

Approximate odds of Messi's team being matched up against a CPL, and specifically your CPL team, if soccer had coin flip odds.

Odds a specific MLS team makes it to CCC = 27% (assuming even odds with all teams in MLS, and all MLS/Liga MX teams in Leagues Cup, and assuming an MLS team wins the US Open Cup, never a lower level team) but only a 21.48% chance they qualify for the first round (MLS Cup champs and Leagues Cup champs both get a bye past the first round).

Odds a specific CPL team makes it to CCC =  25% (assuming a CPL team doesn't win the Voyageurs Cup).

Odds that if Inter Miami makes it to the CCC in the first round, they get drawn against a CPL team.

For simplicity, I am going to make the incorrect assumption that there are no pots in the draw. So that makes the odds a CPL team gets drawn against Inter Miami, if Inter Miami qualifies for a first round spot, 1/20 = 5%, because there are 22 teams in the first round, but the CPL teams (presumably) won't be able to be drawn against each other, so there will be 20 other teams to be drawn against.

So the odds Inter Miami, and your CPL team both make it to the CCC first round= 21.48% * 25% = 5.37%, and the odds they then get drawn against each other is 5.37% * 5% = 0.27%. And since there would be 2 CPL teams that makes the odds that any CPL team gets drawn against Inter Miami 0.54%

That's a lot longer odds than I was expecting from this little experiment. But of course, this is all very rough. Keep in mind I calculated a 1/29 chance Miami wins the US Open Cup, even though this year they are in the final 4. But of course their odds of getting one of the other MLS spots are lower this year than my coin flip odds due to their bad start to the season.

13 hours ago, Kent said:

Approximate odds of Messi's team being matched up against a CPL, and specifically your CPL team, if soccer had coin flip odds.

Odds a specific MLS team makes it to CCC = 27% (assuming even odds with all teams in MLS, and all MLS/Liga MX teams in Leagues Cup, and assuming an MLS team wins the US Open Cup, never a lower level team) but only a 21.48% chance they qualify for the first round (MLS Cup champs and Leagues Cup champs both get a bye past the first round).

Odds a specific CPL team makes it to CCC =  25% (assuming a CPL team doesn't win the Voyageurs Cup).

Odds that if Inter Miami makes it to the CCC in the first round, they get drawn against a CPL team.

For simplicity, I am going to make the incorrect assumption that there are no pots in the draw. So that makes the odds a CPL team gets drawn against Inter Miami, if Inter Miami qualifies for a first round spot, 1/20 = 5%, because there are 22 teams in the first round, but the CPL teams (presumably) won't be able to be drawn against each other, so there will be 20 other teams to be drawn against.

So the odds Inter Miami, and your CPL team both make it to the CCC first round= 21.48% * 25% = 5.37%, and the odds they then get drawn against each other is 5.37% * 5% = 0.27%. And since there would be 2 CPL teams that makes the odds that any CPL team gets drawn against Inter Miami 0.54%

That's a lot longer odds than I was expecting from this little experiment. But of course, this is all very rough. Keep in mind I calculated a 1/29 chance Miami wins the US Open Cup, even though this year they are in the final 4. But of course their odds of getting one of the other MLS spots are lower this year than my coin flip odds due to their bad start to the season.

13 of the 22 teams in the Preliminary round will be Liga MX or MLS. 

There is a slight chance Inter Miami ends up in the same pot as the CPL teams.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

13 of the 22 teams in the Preliminary round will be Liga MX or MLS. 

There is a slight chance Inter Miami ends up in the same pot as the CPL teams.

Yeah I know. I was looking at how many teams are ranked above Inter Miami in the current rankings, trying to figure out what to do with that, and I eventually decided to just forget about it and pretend there are no pots and the only restriction being that the CPL teams can't be drawn against each other. At the moment Inter Miami is ranked quite low within MLS (and lower than Olimpia) so it is unlikely that 2 MLS teams that are ranked lower than them at this moment will qualify for CCC. But the rankings are always changing, so who knows what will happen. For sure if Inter Miami were to qualify with regular season play (I wasn't just taking this year into account, it was meant to be more general) then they would rise up the rankings as well.

16 hours ago, Kent said:

I think I just found a problem with the second bold number. I multiplied the first number by 2 because there are 2 CPL teams in the CCC, but I should have also used 21.48% instead of 5.37% because there is a 100% chance that there will be 2 CPL teams.

So the odds that ANY CPL team plays Inter Miami in the CCC (with all my super rough assumptions outlined earlier) is actually 2.1%

1 hour ago, fil said:

7ovz94.jpg

Didn't anyone think...

7ovzm3.jpg

Yeah, that is the sad reality... and why I said it was the odds that his team gets drawn against your/a CPL team. There is a very real chance he could get rested against a team that isn't expected to pose much of a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand that scheduling a 28 game season plus playoffs around a long Canadian winter is a difficult task...but the CPL needs to do better.

Playing 3 games in 7 days in Victoria then Halifax then Toronto is just stupid. When teams have midweek games the league should look at trying to minimize the travel.

Instead of Saturday, Tuesday and then Friday from one coast to the other, it should be more like Friday at home, Wednesday in Winnipeg and then Sunday in Calgary. 3 games in 10 days with much less travel. Something like that. Even if you want to group the long road trips to reduce costs, that doesn't explain only 2 rest days between a game in Victoria and then a game in Halifax.

11 minutes ago, masster said:

I can understand that scheduling a 28 game season plus playoffs around a long Canadian winter is a difficult task...but the CPL needs to do better.

Playing 3 games in 7 days in Victoria then Halifax then Toronto is just stupid. When teams have midweek games the league should look at trying to minimize the travel.

Instead of Saturday, Tuesday and then Friday from one coast to the other, it should be more like Friday at home, Wednesday in Winnipeg and then Sunday in Calgary. 3 games in 10 days with much less travel. Something like that. Even if you want to group the long road trips to reduce costs, that doesn't explain only 2 rest days between a game in Victoria and then a game in Halifax.

HFX has a similar though slightly better setup, Friday in Vancouver, home Tuesday, away Saturday to Cavalry. Even longer travel, 3 games in 9 days, though an extra day rest.

It's like they've determined that it is more expensive to spend two extra nights away in hotels than travel more. Maybe the travel sponsorship is better.