CPL General

5 hours ago, RS said:

Why?

Do I really have to explain why?

I find it sad that names were chosen which don't include the names of the cities in which the teams play. It's sad because it disconnects the teams from their cities. It also makes the reporting of the league results more difficult if reporters don't understand where the teams are from. It also makes it harder to connect with potential fans if where a team plays needs to be explained.

I don't usually talk about the NHL but you will notice that teams in Canada includes the city in the team name. Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, etc. Someone in the CanPL branding office when the CanPL started decided that rather than make things simple they would get, "cute" and try something different.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No-one cares about seeing the stands, or fans, which can be panned to when needed. That's professionalism, not the CPL broadcast.

I won't bother responding to the personal attacks. I will challenge the assertion that, "No-one cares about seeing the stands, or fans".

For decades we have seen empty stands being imposed as punishment for various offences. We all saw what empty stadiums looked like in 2020. Maybe you want to watch soccer without fans in stadiums. Maybe you find it great watching games where it is so quiet you can hear everything being said on the pitch.

That is NOT the experience that most fans want to have when watching games.

That is certainly NOT the experience that players want to have on the pitch.

It is most definitely NOT the experience that sponsors and advertisers want to see.

Most importantly, if you are trying to sell tickets to the games, showing highlights of games played without visible fans makes the game-day experience look amateur. People do not want to buy tickets to watch live sports if they think no one else is going. I don't imagine it helps York United when people see clips from the games and it looks like a high-school game.

I agree with you that the camera angles and lighting need to be better at Starlight (and throughout the league). I hope you will agree that being able to see ANY broadcast of professional soccer games in Canada is better than nothing.

1 hour ago, ted said:

I find it sad that names were chosen which don't include the names of the cities in which the teams play. It's sad because it disconnects the teams from their cities. It also makes the reporting of the league results more difficult if reporters don't understand where the teams are from. It also makes it harder to connect with potential fans if where a team plays needs to be explained.

I don't usually talk about the NHL but you will notice that teams in Canada includes the city in the team name. Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, etc. Someone in the CanPL branding office when the CanPL started decided that rather than make things simple they would get, "cute" and try something different.

Ah. Your original comment made it sound like you were criticizing the recent decision to show the locations of the teams, not the decision from years ago to leave the locations out of the name of the clubs.

8 hours ago, ted said:

I won't bother responding to the personal attacks. I will challenge the assertion that, "No-one cares about seeing the stands, or fans".

For decades we have seen empty stands being imposed as punishment for various offences. We all saw what empty stadiums looked like in 2020. Maybe you want to watch soccer without fans in stadiums. Maybe you find it great watching games where it is so quiet you can hear everything being said on the pitch.

That is NOT the experience that most fans want to have when watching games.

That is certainly NOT the experience that players want to have on the pitch.

It is most definitely NOT the experience that sponsors and advertisers want to see.

Most importantly, if you are trying to sell tickets to the games, showing highlights of games played without visible fans makes the game-day experience look amateur. People do not want to buy tickets to watch live sports if they think no one else is going. I don't imagine it helps York United when people see clips from the games and it looks like a high-school game.

I agree with you that the camera angles and lighting need to be better at Starlight (and throughout the league). I hope you will agree that being able to see ANY broadcast of professional soccer games in Canada is better than nothing.

The personal attacks started with your delirious post, ranting and insulting majority opinion on the board. 

Just admit you're only concerned with where your supporter group can be seen by cameras. That is your really worry, the rest of the world be damned. 

I watched some Rugby 7, the game could be seen perfectly. The cars on the other side look dumb, like the empty stands at York and grassy knoll at Cavalry. But the sporting event was far superior for viewers, and you continue to post as if you cared about viewer experience for those watching Pacific FC through One Soccer. But you don't.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The personal attacks started with your delirious post, ranting and insulting majority opinion on the board. 

Just admit you're only concerned with where your supporter group can be seen by cameras and stop lying through your ass. 

I watched some Rugby 7, the game could be seen perfectly. The cars on the other side look dumb, like the empty stands at York and grassy knoll at Cavalry. But the sporting event was far superior for viewers, and you continue to post malicious lies esconding your freaky personal agenda. 

Geez, is that response really called for...

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

Geez, is that response really called for...

Maybe not, I was going to change it in fact and will.

But it does piss me off that someone who never watches a team on TV, and is always in the stands, is so invested in the issue. 

Basically he is worried that his supporter group will not be visible on the broadcast images. That sums the whole thing up, the rest is total bullshit.

10 hours ago, ted said:

8 hours ago, Kent said:

Ah. Your original comment made it sound like you were criticizing the recent decision to show the locations of the teams, not the decision from years ago to leave the locations out of the name of the clubs.

I had the same impression as @Kent

Some writers have their favourites.  MLS is just as bad: "Galaxy win their first in five games! Up 9 spots! CF Montreal drop their first in 5 to LAFC? Down 7!  Seattle is in 12th in the West after 9 weeks? Give them a mulligan and stick them in the 3-spot!" 

It is kind of laughable. Even as a Cavalry fan, I would start by switching them and HFX.  York and Valour should be higher, Forge lower.

16 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Not sure if this is old news but just turned on my tv in England and was shocked to see the CPL on BT Sport. They were showing a weekly highlights show. And I just noticed they are showing live matches as well. Pretty cool. 

Wait, seriously? That's awesome! I didn't realize that MediaPro had a deal with BT. 

4 minutes ago, Cblake said:

ECFC this evening at their first ever home match drew 457 more people than York did last night. It was the biggest crowd L1O has ever drawn, looking forward to the day ECFC takes the step up to CPL. I know its down the road with a lot of work to come but the dream is definitely alive. 

Good for them.

Once Edmonton folds at the end of this season (my prediction), league attention has to turn to York.

I haven't read much regarding their owner, but it's year 4 with terrible, unsustainable attendance. 

I'm aware of the stadium plans, but not sure if that will come to fruition with such terrible attendance.

8 hours ago, Cblake said:

ECFC this evening at their first ever home match drew 457 more people than York did last night. It was the biggest crowd L1O has ever drawn, looking forward to the day ECFC takes the step up to CPL. I know its down the road with a lot of work to come but the dream is definitely alive. 

Always best to wait a few games before jumping to any conclusions because well-marketed home openers often draw far better than the games that follow. Hopefully not in this case. The amount of team merchandise being worn is a good sign assuming it wasn't being given away. Worth bearing in mind also that the 457 difference may only be in announced tickets distributed terms. The tickets scanned difference might be significantly higher.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Always best to wait a few games before jumping to any conclusions because well-marketed home openers often draw far better than the games that follow. Hopefully not in this case. The amount of team merchandise being worn is a good sign assuming it wasn't being given away. Worth bearing in mind also that the 457 difference may only be in announced tickets distributed terms. The tickets scanned difference might be significantly higher.

The merch has been flying off the shelves. The Capital PTBO, the store in Peterborough where the official team shop is set up has had very brisk sales and was set up at the match yesterday. Selling very well. 

10 minutes ago, Cblake said:

The merch has been flying off the shelves. The Capital PTBO, the store in Peterborough where the official team shop is set up has had very brisk sales and was set up at the match yesterday. Selling very well. 

They did what York 9 and other CPL clubs should have done from the get go in 2018 at least. Bravo Electric CIty! Current and future CPL clubs, take some notes.