CPL General

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

^  I'd leave it at 28.  It is a long enough season to differentiate the good, middle, and poor teams and it still fits reasonably well in our weather window for outdoor soccer.

Plus, as the number of teams in the league changes, we either have to keep adjusting the number of games or the format of the scheduling.  To me, keeping 28 games and tinkering with format makes a lot more sense.

I agree you don’t want to take away games from the schedule. The majority of leagues around the world play more or less 28 regular season games . One of the main purposes of this league or any League really is to develop players . Playing 28 games is a good number in my opinion in terms of player development. I realize playing in certain months is tough due to the weather but it is what it is . As we have seen with our recent World Cup qualifying run , when people care they will come out no matter the weather . I think we just have to accept that even for the CPL , games will have to be played in April and even in November . Soccer is no longer a May to September sport . May to September only does not cut it . If we want to compete with the rest of the world we have to play longer seasons it is what it is .

From a development perspective, a longer season has advantages, although I question whether, say, 34 games is tremendously better than, say, 28.  Diminishing returns do set in.

From a fan support perspective, sure, people will come out to Edmonton in November for a crucial World Cup qualifying game.  However, people already are barely coming out in July for the CPL. 

The current April 7 to October 29 schedule seems like a reasonable balance of season length and fan appeal.

On 4/23/2022 at 2:22 PM, m-g-williams said:

Throwing spaghetti at the wall to see if it sticks: What are people's thoughts on potentially moving to an unbalanced season schedule, something like what A-League Men does in Australia?

It's better than more meaningless games. I want to see us get to ONE home and ONE away ASAP but that will have to wait until we have more teams.

Via reddit, March 2020 to April 2022 growth in social media channels. Some of the bump likely due to Canada qualifying run. Though, then I would have expected OneSoccer to lead rather than CPL.

AO growth is most surprising. FC Edmonton leads clubs in twitter, FB & IG - legacy followers?

IG is most popular social media ex for OneSoccer.

Screenshot 2022-04-26 191458.jpg

19 hours ago, red card said:

Via reddit, March 2020 to April 2022 growth in social media channels. Some of the bump likely due to Canada qualifying run. Though, then I would have expected OneSoccer to lead rather than CPL.

AO growth is most surprising. FC Edmonton leads clubs in twitter, FB & IG - legacy followers?

IG is most popular social media ex for OneSoccer.

Screenshot 2022-04-26 191458.jpg

This is a good reminder to me of how many social media apps I don't use.

12 hours ago, Kent said:

Looks like CPL is getting the message that people want to know where the teams are from. This is from the header on the official CPL website. I just showed the first 4 teams, but all 8 plus the Vancouver expansion team are shown on canpl.ca like this.

image.png.7cbe0bde14775cfc85ac363d6eeb407a.png

Glad to see it.  It makes things far more accessible for new/casual fans.

On 4/30/2022 at 7:49 PM, narduch said:

So it is possible to place the camera at the opposite side at Starlight

<sigh> No one ever said it wasn't possible, it would just be stupid.

To repeat what has been pointed out multiple times before: those camera positions remove viable seating AND show the only side of the pitch without any seating which makes for a pathetic, amateur, game-day experience.

17 hours ago, Kent said:

Looks like CPL is getting the message that people want to know where the teams are from. This is from the header on the official CPL website. I just showed the first 4 teams, but all 8 plus the Vancouver expansion team are shown on canpl.ca like this.

image.png.7cbe0bde14775cfc85ac363d6eeb407a.png

It remains sad that team names have to be subtitled for a casual to know what community they represent.

Edited by ted
spelling

2 hours ago, ted said:

<sigh> No one ever said it wasn't possible, it would just be stupid.

To repeat what has been pointed out multiple times before: those camera positions remove viable seating AND show the only side of the pitch without any seating which makes for a pathetic, amateur, game-day experience.

It remains sad that team names have to be subtitled for a casual to know what community they represent.

Assinine is a guy who goes to all home games talking about game day experience of fans watching from home. The egoism. 

Ted, I don't get this malicious stupidity. If you don't care about the quality of the broadcast, fine. Everyone watching suffers from it, it's horrible. But insisting on it being shitty for us, and making up pure lies to justify it, is frankly too much.

It also makes better sense for lighting to change as otherwise you're pointing into the sun many matches. 

In any case, Rugby 7s from Langford is far bigger than CPL, and has a broader international audience. I can watch here at home in Barcelona, as I get mens 7s from BC Place. No-one cares about seeing the stands, or fans, which can be panned to when needed. That's professionalism, not the CPL broadcast. 

Just admit it's really about wanting your little stand to be on camera (which it could be changing positions of course). 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist