CPL General

15 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Paul Peschisolido was at Juventus for a bit.

Man that was ages ago. Can't think of any in recent memory. Most either toil in the lower divisions for a few years then fall of the face of the earth.

May do a deep dive on the current CanMNT roster later on this topic.

Perhaps playing youth in Europe isn't all its cracked up to be.

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, narduch said:

This actually got me thinking. 

When was the last time a Canadian kid played youth in Italy and actually became an important member of the National Team?

I'm stumped on this one.

Michael Petrasso did play for QPR granted not italy but i would think England count....and came over to play for Montreal and TFC before going to York United. Jordan Peruzza was with Empoli's under 20 if I remember right, in italy before coming back to TFC 3 & 2 and just this year signing with TFC 1st team.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

This actually got me thinking. 

When was the last time a Canadian kid played youth in Italy and actually became an important member of the National Team?

I'm stumped on this one.

Ricardo Ferreira

*ducks*

In all reality though, I guess I'd expect Breza to be the next one. He's been through Palermo, Bologna and some others along Serie C/D.

Edited by Pottsy3

3 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

It was announced on the Pacific vs Forge broadcast (pregame/~35 mins into the stream) that Starlight Stadium will be expanding to 10,000 seats in the near future. Have yet to see a public announcement though. 

It was posted here awhile back. Not sure which thread. 

It would involve moving the hydro pole too

Edited by narduch

7 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

It was announced on the Pacific vs Forge broadcast (pregame/~35 mins into the stream) that Starlight Stadium will be expanding to 10,000 seats in the near future. Have yet to see a public announcement though. 

PFC CEO Rob Friend said at the Season Launch Party for STH that there would be more seats installed next year.

15 hours ago, RichV said:

will they be changing the camera angle when they add more seats?

Point is, they could probably improve it now, there is just no will. 

First, the camera is too low. They say they can't build a higher platform as there is a minimum clearance below the lines. But in fact there's lots of space: even a couple metres would help. 

Then it has to be moved back. Logically, with a full stand it'd be at the top, pointing down and scanning right. And reaching into the corners. You can't just move it back now with the benches there, you'd lose the sideline. 

Key point is game time, they play with the sun poking into the camera. Adding glare off the pitch. They'd have to play at noon to avoid it, or under lights at night. 

So, why not put the camera on the other side? Only because you'd see the benches and beer garden and not seated fans. Once they have the new stand, I suppose they will move the camera to the other side and problem solved. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Point is, they could probably improve it now, there is just no will. 

First, the camera is too low. They say they can't build a higher platform as there is a minimum clearance below the lines. But in fact there's lots of space: even a couple metres would help. 

Then it has to be moved back. Logically, with a full stand it'd be at the top, pointing down and scanning right. And reaching into the corners. You can't just move it back now with the benches there, you'd lose the sideline. 

Key point is game time, they play with the sun poking into the camera. Adding glare off the pitch. They'd have to play at noon to avoid it, or under lights at night. 

So, why not put the camera on the other side? Only because you'd see the benches and beer garden and not seated fans. Once they have the new stand, I suppose they will move the camera to the other side and problem solved. 

We've had this discussion before but apparently you forgot the facts.

The cameras are the height they are because of the hydro lines. BC Hydro doesn't want anyone directly beneath them and will not allow anything higher than the current platforms. This is why the beer gardens were moved last year and the "VIP" section has been relocated this year. No one is allowed on that side for games until the pole is moved.

They cannot move the cameras to the other side now, not only because it would look like a totally empty stadium, but because it would reduce the already limited seating.

When the new stands are built I would assume (if they are competent) that more suites will be added AND purpose-built camera platforms.

Already basking in glow, Langford's Starlight Stadium to expand to 10,000 seats

Young confirmed a B.C. Hydro utility pole, which blocked stadium expansion on the side opposite the existing main grandstand, is being uprooted and 4,000 to 5,000 permanent stands will be placed there.

Langford council has approved the $8.5-million project, with $4 million of that involving pole removal and $4.5 million for the new grandstand.

“The timing for the pole removal is in Hydro’s hands, but their engineers are on it, and I’m hoping even in four months it will be gone.”

Young said the new ­grandstand is already pre-made in sections and has been ordered. The work to put it up will begin right after pole removal. An improved stadium will certainly give both Canada Soccer and Rugby Canada plenty to think about when scheduling international fixtures.

11 minutes ago, Kingston said:

$4 million to remove a pole?  Do the wires on this pole supply the entire island?

High voltage electrical work isn`t cheap. I`m assuming they are planning to bury the wires.

Plus there is a premium on the cost of construction on Vancouver Island due to how isolated it is.

image.png.62617f53f4c64a178696e806d050cc23.png

Edited by narduch

Has anyone had any experience getting support for the Centre Circle App? My phone logged me out of my account one day, and when logging in it asks to send a code via SMS to my phone number, but everytime I've tried I never receive a code. I have checked my email including my junk to make sure it isn't being sent there either.

I have tried to contact the support team twice, once in February and more recently two weeks ago. Both times, I have gotten no response. It would just be nice since that is where all of the tickets are stored plus the barcode for STH discounts.

Throwing spaghetti at the wall to see if it sticks: What are people's thoughts on potentially moving to an unbalanced season schedule, something like what A-League Men does in Australia? 

For reference: In A-League Men, each team plays every other team three times (whereas we do four). The teams allotted two home matches against an opponent in one season are allotted one home match against that opponent in the following season.

Con: I love having 14 home games (and at least one Cdn Championship match) to enjoy every season, and I think that the two-home, two-away we currently have set-up helps to solidfy rivalries and give more opportunities for players to earn minutes/sharpen their skills.

Pro: Going from a 28-week season to a 21-week season would mean we could avoid October matches entirely (for the regular season anyway) and only have to do one or two match weekends in April. With fewer matches and better weather, I'd *hope* this would make going to a match more of an "event" in the eyes of casual fans and create a bit more interest - scarcity might make each match a hotter ticket. 

The big unknown in all of this is whether the current shoulder-season matches are a burden or a boon for the league. Does the revenue generated from ticket/merch sales from those extra seven matches outweigh the costs incurred for travel, room, board, etc.? I obviously don't know for certain, but my gut tells me that the extra matches with lower attendance are more of a hindrance than a help financially. 

^  I'd leave it at 28.  It is a long enough season to differentiate the good, middle, and poor teams and it still fits reasonably well in our weather window for outdoor soccer.

Plus, as the number of teams in the league changes, we either have to keep adjusting the number of games or the format of the scheduling.  To me, keeping 28 games and tinkering with format makes a lot more sense.