CPL General

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Expansion news

Atletico payed €2M to join, now it costs €10M

CPL to get to 14 clubs by 2026 and 18 clubs after 2026

I don't see how we can get to 14 clubs before the end of the year considering Saskatoon and Vancouver (Surrey? Fraser Valley?) only bring us to 10, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Glad to see that the entry fee is steadily increasing though!

6 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I don't see how we can get to 14 clubs before the end of the year considering Saskatoon and Vancouver (Surrey? Fraser Valley?) only bring us to 10, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Glad to see that the entry fee is steadily increasing though!

Agreed.

If we are lucky we are at 9 next year (2023). 

Which reminds me wasn't the Fraser Valley team supposed to announce their stadium plans by now?

10 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

It's 14 clubs by the next World Cup, not end of year according to the article

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

It's 14 clubs by the next World Cup, not end of year according to the article

Ahh, I was going by the tweet where it said "objectif de 14 clubs de #CPL en fin d’année". My French is ever-so-slightly better than my Spanish. :) Thanks for the correction! 

Alot would have to fall into place to get to 14 and 18 around 2026. It could happen especially with the recent interest in the national team.

However, I think 12 is probably more likely. We are already at 8 with 3 announced to be in the works. Not unreasonable to think Peterborough, another Toronto and something in Quebec would happen with the next 4 years.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

However, I think 12 is probably more likely. We are already at 8 with 3 announced to be in the works. Not unreasonable to think Peterborough, another Toronto and something in Quebec would happen with the next 4 years.

It depends on how optimistically one views the league.  Say we take the franchise value information as accurate and go with the announcements that have been made and rumours/speculation that have been advanced.  Without straying from fact, we could say:

1.  The league is at eight teams already and there is huge interest in soccer in Canada right now.  Vancouver, Saskatoon, and Windsor are already coming.  The CPL certainly wants Quebec City and we've heard credible rumours about Montreal and KW, not to mention an ambitious team in Peterborough and less developed rumours about places in the GTA.  That doesn't even include London or other cities you might want to name.  Hiking the expansion fee to $10 million shows there must be big interest out there and anyone who will drop $10 million on an expansion fee isn't going to balk at another $20 million for the necessary stadium.  We will easily see 14 to 16 teams by 2026!

Without straying from fact, we could also say:

2.  Only three of the eight existing teams draw anything like enough fans for long term viability.  The Edmonton ownership has already bailed and the league couldn't find a replacement owner so they're funding this zombie team themselves rather than let it fold.  Three possible expansion teams have been announced but all we've heard from Vancouver is talk, Saskatoon only seems interested if they can get the city to pay for everything, and Windsor was obviously just a face-saving exit strategy for Clanachan that's never actually going to happen.  If the league's business plan is so sound and interest in soccer is so high, why aren't investors leaping up to put teams in obvious markets like Quebec City?  Why no new owners in Edmonton?  We've had no actual expansion movement since Atletico at $2 million, so we certainly aren't going to get any at $10 million (if that's even a real number).  I hope at least the existing teams can get their ownership, attendance, and stadium issues sorted out so that we'll still have a league in 2026!

The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Edited by Kingston

7 hours ago, Kingston said:

It depends on how optimistically one views the league.  Say we take the franchise value information as accurate and go with the announcements that have been made and rumours/speculation that have been advanced.  Without straying from fact, we could say:

1.  The league is at eight teams already and there is huge interest in soccer in Canada right now.  Vancouver, Saskatoon, and Windsor are already coming.  The CPL certainly wants Quebec City and we've heard credible rumours about Montreal and KW, not to mention an ambitious team in Peterborough and less developed rumours about places in the GTA.  That doesn't even include London or other cities you might want to name.  Hiking the expansion fee to $10 million shows there must be big interest out there and anyone who will drop $10 million on an expansion fee isn't going to balk at another $20 million for the necessary stadium.  We will easily see 14 to 16 teams by 2026!

2.  Only three of the eight existing teams draw anything like enough fans for long term viability.  The Edmonton ownership has already bailed and the league couldn't find a replacement owner so they're funding this zombie team themselves rather than let it fold.  Three possible expansion teams have been announced but all we've heard from Vancouver is talk, Saskatoon only seems interested if they can get the city to pay for everything, and Windsor was obviously just a face-saving exit strategy for Clanachan that's never actually going to happen.  If the league's business plan is so sound and interest in soccer is so high, why aren't investors leaping up to put teams in obvious markets like Quebec City?  Why no new owners in Edmonton?  We've had no actual expansion movement since Atletico at $2 million, so we certainly aren't going to get any at $10 million (if that's even a real number).  I hope at least the existing teams can get their ownership, attendance, and stadium issues sorted out so that we'll still have a league in 2026!

Bang on! 

11 hours ago, narduch said:

Agreed.

If we are lucky we are at 9 next year (2023). 

Which reminds me wasn't the Fraser Valley team supposed to announce their stadium plans by now?

Friend said in the last interview I heard that they were hoping to announce it in around 6 weeks, after the final signatures were on the paperwork for the stadium, which puts an announcement in about a week or so from now roughly.

7 hours ago, Kingston said:

I have to agree......there should have been takers for Edmonton. I can't see the league carrying Edmonton after this year, especially if they do not make the playoffs. As much as we want to see this league grow, our goal should be 10-12 SOLID franchises. That would be 3 more teams then what the CFL has, and they have been around for over 100 years.  I think another team in the Toronto area would be a mistake. There are way too many sporting teams(jay's, raptors,  leafs, marlies, raptors, raptors 905, argo's, TFC and TFC 2). That is one of the reasons a team like York United will struggle to put butts in the stands. Must enter cities where they are the only professional team and maybe 1 or 2 other sports teams in that city. That's why i  think Quebec City is a natural choice as well as Saskatoon. 

14 hours ago, narduch said:

I thought the rumoured expansion fee was $10 million?

Did Atletico really only pay 2 million euros?

With no proof, it went from $7m to $8m to $10m thanks to forum hype. 

I believe 2 million euros more than those numbers.

Edited by Watchmen

6 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Friend said in the last interview I heard that they were hoping to announce it in around 6 weeks, after the final signatures were on the paperwork for the stadium, which puts an announcement in about a week or so from now roughly.

I asked him last about it last night at the PFC Pre-Season Party for STH and he said they announce the location in two weeks so hopefully it actually comes in that ballpark of one-two weeks. :)

14 hours ago, Watchmen said:

With no proof, it went from $7m to $8m to $10m thanks to forum hype. 

I believe 2 million euros more than those numbers.

The whole Atletico thing happend on the quick, an opportunity purchase as it were.  Anyone who can bring a realistic scheme to get the league into Montreal isn't going to be paying sticker price either. 

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Interesting snippet of info:

I don't think anyone should be gauranteed any minutes. CPL is D1 league, not a development league.

It is League 1 Canada that is suppose to develop our players and give them minutes. CPL's job is to allow teams to field their best players. This is not house league.

16 minutes ago, ATM said:

I don't think anyone should be gauranteed any minutes. CPL is D1 league, not a development league.

It is League 1 Canada that is suppose to develop our players and give them minutes. CPL's job is to allow teams to field their best players. This is not house league.

Loan deals often come with strings attached on that even at the fully professional level. That's why this is something that would need clarified. CanPL mandates a certain number of minutes for U-21 players so they actually do have policies geared towards generating guaranteed minutes for certain players.

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Loan deals often come with strings attached on that even at the fully professional level. That's why this is something that would need clarified. CanPL mandates a certain number of minutes for U-21 players so they actually do have policies geared towards generating guaranteed minutes for certain players.

Certain categories of player. 

23 hours ago, Cheeta said:

The whole Atletico thing happend on the quick, an opportunity purchase as it were.  Anyone who can bring a realistic scheme to get the league into Montreal isn't going to be paying sticker price either. 

Sure.  But, we also know that Rob Friend and Co had purchase option on a Vancouver area team and that had initially been their preferred destination.  I think it's fair to say they probably didn't pay $7m, $8m, $10m either.  And I won't say the league is desperate to sell on FCE, but they probably don't want to keep owning it, which means I can't see that being sold for a high price either.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Sure.  But, we also know that Rob Friend and Co had purchase option on a Vancouver area team and that had initially been their preferred destination.  I think it's fair to say they probably didn't pay $7m, $8m, $10m either.  And I won't say the league is desperate to sell on FCE, but they probably don't want to keep owning it, which means I can't see that being sold for a high price either.

Just need an committed owner in yeg. Owner of they have approached the cebl ownership group 

On 4/3/2022 at 4:32 PM, yothat2 said:

Just need an committed owner in yeg. Owner of they have approached the cebl ownership group 

This is something I'd love to see more of - CPL and CEBL collaboration. In markets where there are teams in each league, I'd love to see them support/promote one another (kind of like the Wanderers and the Mooseheads in Halifax), and joint ownership - where it makes sense - would allow for the owners to set up proper sports ownership groups like OSEG in Ottawa (and yes, I know that Atletico isn't under OSEG). I still think that Media Pro should have capitalized on their 2020 contract with the CEBL and turned One Soccer into more of a One Sports channel, covering both leagues and broader soccer/basketball competitions. 

Edited by m-g-williams

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-youth-minimum-2022/

"Multiple sources have informed us that the league minimum has been raised to 2,000 minutes for each CPL side. That marks a 500 minute increase from what the league asked of clubs last season"

"Assuming an age cut-off of January 1, 2001, here’s how each club currently stands in terms of minute-eligible youngsters:

Atletico Ottawa
Jose Cunha
Zachary Roy
Zakaria Bahous

Cavalry
Jean-Aniel Assi
Victor Loturi

FC Edmonton
Darlington Murasiranwa
Felix N’sa
Kairo Coore
Ousman Maheshe
T-Boy Fayia

Forge FC
Cale Loughrey
Christopher Kalongo
Daniel Stampatori
Johnny Son
Kwasi Poku
Marcus Caldeira
Sebastian Castello
Woobens Pacius

Halifax Wanderers
Keiran Baskett
Zachary Fernandez

Pacific FC
Abdul Binate
Kamron Habibullah
Emil Gazdov
Sean Young

York United
Cedric Toussaint
Isaiah Johnston
Lowell Wright
Mamadou Kane

Valour FC
Jacob Carlos
Jonathan Sirios
Matthew Catavolo
Matteo de Brienne
Sean Rea"

2 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

This is something I'd love to see more of - CPL and CEBL collaboration.

This makes sense.   Joint CPL CEBL Potential teams:

Victoria

Fraser Valley (Bandits, CPL team name TBA)

Calgary

Edmonton

Sasatchewan

Winnipeg  (heard rumors of Winipeg Ice wanting to build mid sized arena, maybe CEBL with them(

Grand River (kitchener-Waterloo)

Brampton-Mississauga (CEBL rumors for Brampton)

Hamilton Forge and Honey Badgers)

Quebec City

Halifax

Newfoundland Growlers

Just a thought.