CPL General

^ There's a lot in favour of MLS-CPL loans, both for the teams involved and for the general development of talent for the national team pipeline.

It must work for them, but I don't get Montreal putting their reserve team in the PLSQ as mentioned in that article.  TFC has their third and fourth teams in L1O.  I'd think the level of play in the PLSQ would be too low for an MLS reserve team.

9 minutes ago, mtlsab said:

My predictions:
-Sirois (Valour)

-Rea (Valour?, Edmonton)
-Ferdinand (Edmonton, Cavalry?)

-Zouhir (Valour, Edmonton?)

...and Giraldo back to Edmonton?

You don't think Ferdinand is returning Ottawa?

I would predict Rea back to Valour; Zouhir to Edmonton. 

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

...and Giraldo back to Edmonton?

You don't think Ferdinand is returning Ottawa?

I would predict Rea back to Valour; Zouhir to Edmonton. 

I dont see Ferdinand returning to OTtawa, they have enough players in defense

Giraldo is gonna stay at Montreal. He only has a 1 year contract

On 2/28/2022 at 11:33 AM, Kingston said:

^ There's a lot in favour of MLS-CPL loans, both for the teams involved and for the general development of talent for the national team pipeline.

It must work for them, but I don't get Montreal putting their reserve team in the PLSQ as mentioned in that article.  TFC has their third and fourth teams in L1O.  I'd think the level of play in the PLSQ would be too low for an MLS reserve team.

TFC doesn't have their third and fourth teams in L1O unless I missed something? Are you talking about Windsor and is it London? They have some sort of partnership, but I wouldn't call those their third and fourth teams.

I like that CF Montreal is supporting PLSQ. TFC did have a team in L1O back at the start of the league, it was their top academy team (later rebranded to TFC III). In 2014 they went undefeated but then lost in the semi-finals of the cup. The next season they were more ordinary, finishing the season in 5th and not making the quarter finals of the cup. They had a couple more seasons of being in that 4th to 6th kind of range before they decided to move into the American system after the 2018 season. Back when TFC was playing their academy teams in Canadian leagues it helped them discover players like Jonathan Osorio and Raheem Edwards on their opponents teams.

It will be interesting to see how Montreal's reserve team does in PLSQ. I'm sure they will be good. Will they be good enough to win the league? Not necessarily.

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

TFC doesn't have their third and fourth teams in L1O unless I missed something? Are you talking about Windsor and is it London? They have some sort of partnership, but I wouldn't call those their third and fourth teams.

Last season they had TFC III (their U19 team) and TFC IV (their U17 team) in L1O.  They played in the summer-only session, rather than the full schedule, which makes sense for teams made up of student-age players.

I don't honestly know if that will continue or if it was just a one-time thing because of all the covid restrictions.

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

I've been thinking who was punished more: Chelsea or Queretaro?

Funny, for me the only team I really dislike in Mexico is Querétaro, and because they stole Camilo Sanvezzo from the Whitecaps. So for me, being solidly anti-Chelsea, I'm revelling in it. 

Seriously: a sanction against an owner should not really deblitate core operations of a company that employs Britons and is embedded in a British community, at least not for an extended period; just my opinion. 

Now I am saying core operations, if they want to sanction him and he's forced to sell, let them, but I don't get the legality. Such sanctions against yachts and property in Spain are not being applied (I could see Abramovich's yacht in Barcelona port btw), I think because there is in fact no legal basis to do so. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

So on the American crew broadcast, refers to the Can PL, and speaks of Pacific, however says that the league is equivalent to 3rd division in the states…. Im very sure it’s better than USL league 1. Apparently Porter said both MacNaughton and Chung can play, must have been impressing in preseason.

5 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

So on the American crew broadcast, refers to the Can PL, and speaks of Pacific, however says that the league is equivalent to 3rd division in the states…. Im very sure it’s better than USL league 1. Apparently Porter said both MacNaughton and Chung can play, must have been impressing in preseason.

Others groaned too.

This Dallas SB post ranked the top 11 leagues in Mexico, US & Canada. CPL came in 5th behind ligaMX, MLS, liga ExpansionMX & USL Championship.

5. Canadian Premier League (8 Clubs) - The Division 1 league for Canada. I think the top 3 clubs are USL Championship level, but the rest are USL League One level. There is a ton of growth potential, and I could see this league becoming similar to the Scottish Premiere League in the future, with 1 to 2 really strong dominant clubs.

MLS NP is ranked 7th.

7. MLS Next Pro (21 Clubs) - The second of 3, USA Division 3 leagues. Former USL League One clubs took a step backwards, while former USL Championship clubs took several steps backwards. With that said more than half the league is made of clubs taking a big step forward. With 21 clubs this season, and 8 clubs guaranteed to join next season, with a couple more guaranteed to join after that, this league has a ton of growth in its future. How many independent clubs it can recruit, will determine how fast and how high up the rankings it can climb. The growth potential is Division 2, but I suspect MLS has a D3 Regionaliga style league that is closer to D2.5 in the future.

https://www.bigdsoccer.com/2022/2/28/22955490/the-north-american-league-rankings

On 3/12/2022 at 7:10 PM, red card said:

Others groaned too.

This Dallas SB post ranked the top 11 leagues in Mexico, US & Canada. CPL came in 5th behind ligaMX, MLS, liga ExpansionMX & USL Championship.

5. Canadian Premier League (8 Clubs) - The Division 1 league for Canada. I think the top 3 clubs are USL Championship level, but the rest are USL League One level. There is a ton of growth potential, and I could see this league becoming similar to the Scottish Premiere League in the future, with 1 to 2 really strong dominant clubs.

MLS NP is ranked 7th.

7. MLS Next Pro (21 Clubs) - The second of 3, USA Division 3 leagues. Former USL League One clubs took a step backwards, while former USL Championship clubs took several steps backwards. With that said more than half the league is made of clubs taking a big step forward. With 21 clubs this season, and 8 clubs guaranteed to join next season, with a couple more guaranteed to join after that, this league has a ton of growth in its future. How many independent clubs it can recruit, will determine how fast and how high up the rankings it can climb. The growth potential is Division 2, but I suspect MLS has a D3 Regionaliga style league that is closer to D2.5 in the future.

https://www.bigdsoccer.com/2022/2/28/22955490/the-north-american-league-rankings

It's probably an impossible task to rank those leagues against each other. There doesn't seem to be any reasoning behind any rankings other than CCL results for the top 2 leagues. They could have at least attempted something based on records against the other leagues. I don't know if Mexico has a cup competition that spans all these divisions, but USA and Canada both do. So you could make a comparison of the results CPL teams have against MLS teams compared to the various lower division American leagues against MLS teams. Anyways, I'm not going to lose any sleep over some random person's random ranking. 

On 3/12/2022 at 1:53 PM, Dominic94 said:

It's ok - I always find myself comparing MLS to D3-England...

guilty on all counts GIF by Oxygen

30 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Looks like the new kit release is coming tomorrow:

We were disappointed on Friday when PFC didn't wear their new kits for the friendly. We had been teased that we would be seeing them but I guess it needs a big rollout. LOL