CPL General

...One particular part of the conversation stuck with me.

“What people forget,” my drinking buddy on the night said, “is that we can sell these guys.

“That’s where the real money will be, not in selling tickets.” hew added.

As stated, this isn’t new territory. In fact, it’s how 95% of the football world operates....

Didn't have time when I posted that to expand a bit, but found that a bizarre anecdote. Let's say for the sake of argument they were expecting around 4000 paid at an average of $25 for 15 home games at the time.

That would be $1.5 million in revenues through the gate. You would need about eight Lukas McNaughton type transfers per club per season for transfer fees to start to be more significant.

If his "drinking buddy" was serious about that they were clearly thinking in terms of much higher fees which means they were massively overestimating the quality of talent that was going to be available to them. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Didn't have time when I posted that to expand a bit, but found that a bizarre anecdote. Let's say for the sake of argument they were expecting around 4000 paid at an average of $25 for 15 home games at the time.

That would be $1.5 million in revenues through the gate. You would need about eight Lukas McNaughton type transfers per club per season for transfer fees to start to be more significant.

If his "drinking buddy" was serious about that they were clearly thinking in terms of much higher fees which means they were massively overestimating the quality of talent that was going to be available to them. 

I just took it as the buddy jumping from the particular to the general. The world tendency is declining gate and rising transfers and tv rights. 

Still, 10% of your yearly budget covered by a transfer isn't bad. 

I personally never thought transfers would be significant for CPL, the model has to still be to cover core player wages with gate. 

What was really outrageous was not playing Voyageurs Cup on Vancouver Island vs TFC, Covid notwithstanding, as a single good gate would rival that McNaughton transfer. 

28 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Now I'm wondering if Sportsnet have bought some of the CanPL games... This would be massive!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at the tweet with both the Sportsnet and CPL logos next to each other, you might be right. Having the OneSoccer team interview Kyle Bekker and talk about the league on the Sunday Sportsnet pre-show makes me think there might be something to it as well.

22 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

Looking at the tweet with both the Sportsnet and CPL logos next to each other, you might be right. Having the OneSoccer team interview Kyle Bekker and talk about the league on the Sunday Sportsnet pre-show makes me think there might be something to it as well.

Well, I was wrong lol

7 hours ago, Tigers said:

I don't see the point in a two leg semifinal and then a single final. Surely if it requires two games to determine who is better out of 1v4, then it would need to be at least the same for the more-important final?

There's this soccer competition that uses 2 legs for the playoff rounds but then only a one game final. What's it called... what's it called? It's on the tip of my tongue. Oh right, it's called the UEFA Champions League. Anyone know if that competition does OK in terms of ratings and prestige?

9 hours ago, Kent said:

There's this soccer competition that uses 2 legs for the playoff rounds but then only a one game final. What's it called... what's it called? It's on the tip of my tongue. Oh right, it's called the UEFA Champions League. Anyone know if that competition does OK in terms of ratings and prestige?

UEFA Cup used to be home and away.

It is not that outlandish; if I recall correctly, the USL finals were also home and away. If you have a situation where away fans really are not going to travel in any numbers, by doing a home and away final you offer both sets of fans a chance.

I am against it, as it creates unnecessary speculation in both matches, you never see a pure win or pure loss, it is always a calculator. That is also why, as a fan of a club in CL, that I really do not enjoy the group stage, and don't enjoy the home and away knockout rounds. A win is never just a win: I prefer league matches in fact. Or single-match finals.

Finally: I don't get why folks here are so snide about the suggestion. @Kent you are comparing a league to CL when if you were being rigorous you'd say: no major league in the world does semis and a final. Laughing at CPL for doing playoffs makes more sense than laughing at the suggestion of a two-match final for a league.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

UEFA Cup used to be home and away.

It is not that outlandish; if I recall correctly, the USL finals were also home and away. If you have a situation where away fans really are not going to travel in any numbers, by doing a home and away final you offer both sets of fans a chance.

I am against it, as it creates unnecessary speculation in both matches, you never see a pure win or pure loss, it is always a calculator. That is also why, as a fan of a club in CL, that I really do not enjoy the group stage, and don't enjoy the home and away knockout rounds. A win is never just a win: I prefer league matches in fact. Or single-match finals.

Finally: I don't get why folks here are so snide about the suggestion. @Kent you are comparing a league to CL when if you were being rigorous you'd say: no major league in the world does semis and a final. Laughing at CPL for doing playoffs makes more sense than laughing at the suggestion of a two-match final for a league.

To clarify, I am not against 2-leg finals. The CONCACAF Champions League has a 2-leg final (which is why I specified UEFA Champions League instead of just saying Champions League) and I am totally OK with that. It's just that the post I was responding to made it sound like this is some bizarre and unheard of format, so I was pointing out (I admit, flippantly) that there is precedent for this kind of format.

I'm not an expert on the topic, but in terms of other leagues that use playoffs, it seems much of CONCACAF uses playoffs (MLS, Liga MX, and the Central American leagues). Apparently Colombia uses playoffs as well, as does Australia and some other countries as well. Likely none of those leagues meet your bar for "major" but it's not completely unique. It seems to work better for the CPL, and personally I am not against playoffs.