CPL General

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There have been numbers as high as 12 quoted on expressions of interest, but that's also different from ownership groups. Moncton has expressed an interest, for example, but appears to lack a would be owner.

When PB first discussed it in whatever podcast it was, he said that "expression of interest" was what @Alex D has described, business plan, financial backing, stadium plan, etc... My understanding was that there was 10 at launch, another 2-3 since as well as some very perliminary discussions with another 1-3. I believe this was on the podcast where they're in someone's apartment and they also discuss beer, I can't remember the name at all.

Pretty sure that at the time of announcement of the official CSA sanctioning it was said that there were 10-12 ownership groups that had interest in the CPSL. I don't think it was specified if they were all in different markets or if there were multiple groups interested in a single market.

5 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

When PB first discussed it in whatever podcast it was, he said that "expression of interest" was what @Alex D has described, business plan, financial backing, stadium plan, etc... My understanding was that there was 10 at launch, another 2-3 since as well as some very perliminary discussions with another 1-3. I believe this was on the podcast where they're in someone's apartment and they also discuss beer, I can't remember the name at all.

I believe he had mentioned it on Two Solitudes, though it also could have been on The Vocal Minority, which would be the drinking one

This article lists '10 expressions of interest' under the heading June 12th as quoted on the AFTN podcast. 

http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/the-canadian-premier-league-june-rumour-roundup/

On that particular AFTN podcast, the point where Paul Beirne mentions 10 teams is at 8:30 and he says '10 expressions of interest.'

http://aftn.ca/episode-200-the-aftn-soccer-show/

Just now, Rheo said:

This post to be immediately followed by a 60 post discussing the definition of expressions of interest :) 

It should. IIRC Totz said something like 16 cities had inquired or something. Like is it 10 full on groups with money that want teams or is it like the Moncton thing and people are asking what is needed to have a team.

10 minutes ago, Rheo said:

This post to be immediately followed by a 60 post discussing the definition of expressions of interest :) 

Does Moncton count as an "expression of interest" when they are still looking for an investor to actually pay for it and do issues as fundamental as that tie into the "spectrum of readiness" that has also been mentioned?

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Does Moncton count as an "expression of interest" when they are still looking for an investor to actually pay for it and do issues as fundamental as that tie into the "spectrum of readiness" that has also been mentioned?

Only Paul Beirne can answer that for 100% certainty for his intention and defintion with the comment.  

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I'm guessing it's likely they have 6-10 serious groups, on top of Hamilton and Winnipeg, that have potential but also have set backs (eg lack of stadium, litigation), are not "ideal" major markets (eg KW) or are slightly short on funds at the current time

Edited by matty

17 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Only Paul Beirne can answer that for 100% certainty for his intention and defintion with the comment.  

And he lurks, but I suspect he has nothing to gain from elaborating, but will be happy to be proven wrong. They do have two already in for sure plus K/W, Sask and Halifax as other markets with would be owners publicly making positive statements subject to sorting out viable stadia solutions, so it's definitely not mission impossible to reach six and then eight, especially if the Ottawa Fury and FC Edmonton clamber on board with two more ready to go as is stadia. Beyond that I think expression of interest, ownership group and market expected to get there eventually are being used where appropriate as the yardstick when it helps to provide as upbeat a picture as possible and it is all kept deliberately vague to attract and encourage more interest, but that's part and parcel of building a good sales pitch. If they really had ten would be ownership groups that are totally gung ho about it I suspect we would already have heard the launch announcement.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

And he lurks, but I suspect he has nothing to gain from elaborating, but will be happy to be proven wrong. They do have two already in for sure plus K/W, Sask and Halifax as other would be owners publicly making positive statements subject to sorting out viable stadia solutions, so it's definitely not mission impossible to reach six and then eight, especially if Ottawa and Edmonton clamber on board with two more ready to go as is stadia. Beyond that I think expression of interest, ownership group and market expected to get there eventually are being used where appropriate as the yardstick when it helps to provide as upbeat a picture as possible and it is all kept deliberately vague to attract and encourage more interest, but that's part and parcel of building a good sales pitch. If they really have ten groups totally gung ho about it I suspect we would already have heard the launch announcement.

KW and Saskatoon don't seem likely for the original 6 or maybe even 8 (more for KW on that one) due to their market size and location, funds available and stadium situation but I would say they should be labelled serious.

I don't agree that they're rounding up when you look at the picture of where talk is coming from. On top of Hamilton and Winnipeg there's the lock that is Halifax, cities that seems like late joiners (KW, the Saskatchewan and BC projects), shadow lurkers Calgary, never ending GTA talk and of course FCE and OFFC or a counter team in each city which brings you to 10. I think they might be including Hamilton and Winnipeg to bring the number up.

I get the feeling they've got 4 locked down and are waiting on 2 but the Hamilton thing is now causing delay.

Just now, Dub Narcotic said:

Yes, you've posted this like twenty times. 

Just like others keep floating their theories 20 times.  This only came up again because someone new asked.  I'm not sorry, just filling in the holes since most people don't have time to go through 50 pages of posts...

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

And he lurks, but I suspect he has nothing to gain from elaborating, but will be happy to be proven wrong. They do have two already in for sure plus K/W, Sask and Halifax as other markets with would be owners publicly making positive statements subject to sorting out viable stadia solutions, so it's definitely not mission impossible to reach six and then eight, especially if the Ottawa Fury and FC Edmonton clamber on board with two more ready to go as is stadia. Beyond that I think expression of interest, ownership group and market expected to get there eventually are being used where appropriate as the yardstick when it helps to provide as upbeat a picture as possible and it is all kept deliberately vague to attract and encourage more interest, but that's part and parcel of building a good sales pitch. If they really had ten would be ownership groups that are totally gung ho about it I suspect we would already have heard the launch announcement.

If this is true then they're not doing it very effectively considering PB has done a smattering of interviews and podcasts who's total audiences probably amounts to a few hundred people.

16 minutes ago, Alex D said:

There was one podcast where he verified that expression of interest means financials and business plan. Again, not looking it up. 

Yes he did. And he also confirmed this to me personally when the Regina event happened and has said it on several podcasts. An expression of interest is an involved piece of work and requires those submitting to meet financial standards and standards relating to potential stadium solutions. So for PB to say that there are 10 EOIs means at minimum they have 10 solid investment groups. 

Or PB could by lying or stupid I suppose. But cmon ... if Moncton is 'looking for investors' they are clearly not part of the 10 based on confirmed information from the league. 

Geezus. I'm not sure why I bother. 

11 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes he did. And he also confirmed this to me personally when the Regina event happened and has said it on several podcasts. An expression of interest is an involved piece of work and requires those submitting to meet financial standards and standards relating to potential stadium solutions. So for PB to say that there are 10 EOIs means at minimum they have 10 solid investment groups. 

Or PB could by lying or stupid I suppose. But cmon ... if Moncton is 'looking for investors' they are clearly not part of the 10 based on confirmed information from the league. 

Geezus. I'm not sure why I bother. 

Geezy season approaching
Fuck whatever y'all been hearing