CPL General

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Sadly it looks like the Detroit MLS bid will come through. They're getting the stadium land they need with government subsidies. Then to make matters worse they're giving a big FU to DCFC by trademarking DCSC. Really hope the team fails miserably 

There is little to no chance Detroit is in the 2019/20 group considering how far ahead Cincinnati, Nashville and Sacramento are. Even the 2022 group is 50/50 at best given one of the aforementioned three, Phoenix, Tampa Bay, San Diego, North Carolina and San Antonio would all be in the mix.

4 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

There is little to no chance Detroit is in the 2019/20 group considering how far ahead Cincinnati, Nashville and Sacramento are...

MLS has a track record of not stick rigidly to preset timetables on this stuff, if a very good expansion possibility comes along and Detroit, Phoenix, Tampa and San Diego arguably do more for them in national broadcast footprint terms than Cincinnati, Nashville and Sacramento, so I think there is still a long way to go on this. The latter three possibilities are probably being talked up at the moment by Don Garber along with a 28 team cap to spur on activity in the other interested markets.

20 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

If MLS passes on Detroit, I don't really see the issue anybody would have with them joining. One of the best fan bases in all of North America and they hate MLS. Almost 8,000 fans at a NPSL playoff game is crazy. They'd probably average 10,000 plus in CPL and would provide a stable spot for 10ish more Canadians to play pro.  

Why not Windsor instead?

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Why not Windsor instead?

Because Detroit City has an established hardcore fan base that would be one of the biggest in the entire CPL, has the potential to build/fill a 10k+ stadium pretty easily in a few years time, is a significantly larger media market than Windsor, and is more likely to draw fans from Windsor than Windsor is to draw fans from Detroit.

19 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Because Detroit City has an established hardcore fan base that would be one of the biggest in the entire CPL, has the potential to build/fill a 10k+ stadium pretty easily in a few years time, is a significantly larger media market than Windsor, and is more likely to draw fans from Windsor than Windsor is to draw fans from Detroit.

I mean this with the outmost respect: 

You must be on crack if you think CPL will ever invite a US city in the league, let alone the USSF letting them join.

This is Canada, not the United States. Deal with it 

53 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You must be on crack if you think CPL will ever invite a US city in the league, let alone the USSF letting them join.

I never said it was likely, I just said I'd be for it. Canadian sports leagues have a long history of looking south for markets, I don't see why this would be all that different. Not sure what "This is Canada, not the United States" is supposed to mean. If the CPL is looking for expansion team #16 and DCFC wants in, we'd be idiots to not consider them given the current status of that team. As I've previously stated, the USSF has been very accepting about being colonized by foreign soccer teams/leagues before, it's silly to dismiss their decision outright.

Also, while I appreciate your outmost respect, your utmost respect would be more meaningful. ;)

Just now, harrycoyster said:

I never said it was likely, I just said I'd be for it. Canadian sports leagues have a long history of looking south for markets, I don't see why this would be all that different. Not sure what "This is Canada, not the United States" is supposed to mean. If the CPL is looking for expansion team #16 and DCFC wants in, we'd be idiots to not consider them given the current status of that team. As I've previously stated, the USSF has been very accepting about being colonized by foreign soccer teams/leagues before, it's silly to dismiss their decision outright.

Also, while I appreciate your outmost respect, your utmost respect would be more meaningful. ;)

Let's hold hands and grow up from our "insecure" need to be accepted by Americans. They will never want to join us, we're small fry in their minds, i'm telling it like it is. 

All I'm saying, we should focus on us, instead of dreaming of Detroit. What's next? Buffalo?

20 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I never put them in but I wouldn't be against it. It will never happen but they have something special there. 

I don't deny that. I\d rather dream of a Windsor team meeting them in the CCL than dreaming of them joining

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Let's hold hands and grow up from our "insecure" need to be accepted by Americans. They will never want to join us, we're small fry in their minds, i'm telling it like it is. 

All I'm saying, we should focus on us, instead of dreaming of Detroit. What's next? Buffalo?

No offense meant but what's it like to know everything? Must be pretty amazing :)

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I feel like you're projecting some ulterior mindset onto me. I see a city with a population of 600,000 that has a starving soccer community that, if not filled by MLS, could be a prime place to stick 10 more Canadian pro soccer players. I don't want them to take the spot of any Canadian team, but it's not like we are going to be in trouble of having our first division be too full anytime soon.

Hell, put a team in Detroit and Windsor for all I care. The more the merrier if the teams have great fanbases and help develop Canadians.

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I feel like you're projecting some ulterior mindset onto me. I see a city with a population of 600,000 that has a starving soccer community that, if not filled by MLS, could be a prime place to stick 10 more Canadian pro soccer players. I don't want them to take the spot of any Canadian team, but it's not like we are going to be in trouble of having our first division be too full anytime soon.

Hell, put a team in Detroit and Windsor for all I care. The more the merrier if the teams have great fanbases and help develop Canadians.

uh huh :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

No idea what your problem is. 

no problem at all. Just pointing out that it's fantasy to think Detroit would join CPL. Plenty of cities in Canada that should get a team for fans to cheer

Edited by Ansem

A Windsor team is basically a Detroit team to a certain extent and vice versa in the same sort of way that the Buffalo Sabres draw a lot of fans from the Niagara peninsula. People in Windsor tend to speak with a bit of an American Midwest accent in my experience and usually seem to support Detroit rather than Toronto sports teams. Having Detroit on the doorstep strengthens the case for a Windsor team, especially if MLS steers clear of that market over the next few years.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

Because you would never see the Western Hockey League and Ontario Hockey League doing something like that?

Why does soccer have to be hardcore nationalist in its approach to the border when hockey which we are always told in commercial after commercial defines Canadian identity isn't? As for your point about the USSF, they never seemed to have an issue with the BC based Pacific Coast Soccer League spanning the border and going further back Detroit and Buffalo teams occasionally played in the NSL back in the 70s and early 80s, an era when that league could sometimes draw 5000+ to some of the games:

http://www.rsssf.com/usadave/cnsl.html

{Edit: this link provides an example of a Canadian pro soccer league (teams were really semi-pro in most cases) using pro/rel although it didn't last very long}

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard