CPL General

1 minute ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I'm not sure I understand how Québec would be the hardest market to break into. I'm not hating either, but for me, it would be the easiest! There are 8-million people there, I'd be giving it a pretty high priority. 

On paper it seems like a slam dunk but the language and cultural differences start to interfere. Usually Quebec is the last province companies will enter in Canada because it costs a lot to make an impact there. You basically have to create a new model separate from the rest of Canada to make yourself known a lot of the time. Speaking of impact, it's important to note that they Nd mls have struggled to break into the market.

10 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I'm not sure I understand how Québec would be the hardest market to break into. I'm not hating either, but for me, it would be the easiest! There are 8-million people there, I'd be giving it a pretty high priority. 

I suspect what he is probably hinting at is that the Canadian angle won't go down well with PQ types given some people on here are very much driven by identity politics and assume that other people share their mindset. What's going to drive this is the level of sustained interest that can be generated in pro soccer as an entertainment product and the CSA vs USSF sanctioning angle really doesn't matter that much if a decent quality of entertainment can be delivered at a price not much more expensive a movie ticket. Quebec City is definitely one of the markets they should be going after very hard right now, if this thing is going to fly.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

11 minutes ago, matty said:

On paper it seems like a slam dunk but the language and cultural differences start to interfere. Usually Quebec is the last province companies will enter in Canada because it costs a lot to make an impact there. You basically have to create a new model separate from the rest of Canada to make yourself known a lot of the time. Speaking of impact, it's important to note that they Nd mls have struggled to break into the market.

Sure, it's the last place "American" companies set up shop. It's usually the first one European companies enter - especially because of the port, and the impact of the Montréal market nationally. I guess that is proving your point, since the CanPL is ostensibly an Anglophone company with very little understanding of Québécois (or even Acadian or Franco-Ontarien) business and culture. 

However, it's not impossible to overcome the gap in soccer. The Ottawa Fury needed to attract some of the ~200,000 French-Canadians in Ottawa to come to their games, and they burned a few bridges early on by characterizing Joseph Montferrand as the Redblacks Mascot. However, the two supporters groups (the Bytown Boys and Stony Monday Riot) have gone out of their way to recruit Francophone supporters, promote French language social media, and fly the Franco-Ontarian flag at events. I will admit, it was mon beau drapeau that made me first attend an event at the stadium. While the experience could absolutely be improved, the announcers go out of their way to announce things in both languages, and their social media being offered in both. They also partnered with 94,5 Unique FM, a Franco-Ontarian radio station to broadcast games live. 

This also is not a Québec issue either. Moncton, which is pretty much half and half (with the Acadian portion growing quickly) may struggle to attract Francophones if the Canadian flag is all that is on offer.  

13 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Sure, it's the last place "American" companies set up shop. It's usually the first one European companies enter - especially because of the port, and the impact of the Montréal market nationally. I guess that is proving your point, since the CanPL is ostensibly an Anglophone company with very little understanding of Québécois (or even Acadian or Franco-Ontarien) business and culture. 

However, it's not impossible to overcome the gap in soccer. The Ottawa Fury needed to attract some of the ~200,000 French-Canadians in Ottawa to come to their games, and they burned a few bridges early on by characterizing Joseph Montferrand as the Redblacks Mascot. However, the two supporters groups (the Bytown Boys and Stony Monday Riot) have gone out of their way to recruit Francophone supporters, promote French language social media, and fly the Franco-Ontarian flag at events. I will admit, it was mon beau drapeau that made me first attend an event at the stadium. While the experience could absolutely be improved, the announcers go out of their way to announce things in both languages, and their social media being offered in both. They also partnered with 94,5 Unique FM, a Franco-Ontarian radio station to broadcast games live. 

This also is not a Québec issue either. Moncton, which is pretty much half and half (with the Acadian portion growing quickly) may struggle to attract Francophones if the Canadian flag is all that is on offer.  

I'd say moncton's issues are not as difficult as Quebec's when it comes to corperate marketing (as you said its 50/50 and word of mouth will be easier there likely).

If i had my choice: quebec city is an orignal 6/8. But i think there are going to be issue that keep it away for a few years (as you again said the league seems to be anglo). I do hope I'm wrong on the point.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Assuming the amendments can be dealt with (which for all we know at this point may not be as much of a slam dunk as people on here like to think) those three plus Edmonton and Ottawa would place things on the brink of a launch as soon as next summer. Edmonton and Ottawa are the most likely candidates for the other two that have a stadium already in place of the ten markets that Paul Beirne expects to get there eventually, because if they are not you are probably looking at Halifax, Moncton, St John's, Hamilton, K/W and Winnipeg to get the ball rolling and the optics of that as a fledgling national league wouldn't be great. If Edmonton and Ottawa steer clear and rebranded MLS B team type operations are actively excluded there probably need to be four pop-up/modular stadium builders getting things ready plus two more in the pipeline to be in a position to launch. Good luck with that, because you will need it. To most easily make progress you need everybody pushing in the same direction after reaching a workable compromise but multimillionaire sized egos tend to get in the way of that as the principals involved are used to very much getting their own way in their other business interests.

If FCE and OF jump ship for lunch then 2018 is all but confirmed. The Saskatchewan team will almost guaranteed play in a temporary venue if needed (Mosaic is beautiful anyways).

3 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

If FCE and OF jump ship for lunch then 2018 is all but confirmed. The Saskatchewan team will almost guaranteed play in a temporary venue if needed (Mosaic is beautiful anyways).

Saskatchewan have said they would be #7 under that scenario so that would narrow it down a bit to K-W United, Fraser Valley or maybe the Calgary Foothills on the using a temporary venue thing to get numbers up to six. Think people may have misread some of what has been said about possible stadiums in Regina. My understanding was that it's the old Taylor Field that was said to be on the table as an option rather than Mosaic.

2 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Québec city (et Lévis) would be the largest market in the CanPL at launch, if it proceeds, with 800,000 residents. It also would be the market with the lowest unemployment rate, a large corporate base, and the only one with a large media footprint in a market larger than just the city through Radio-Canada or TVA - whichever picks it up. 

I have my doubts that the league administration would be silly enough to ignore a market of that caliber. So, I hope you're correct. 

For me if Quebec isn't in the first 8 it would be a crime against Canadian Sport. I wouldn't say it will definitely be the largest market as I could see something happening in Calgary. However reaching the francophone community will do a lot of good for the league. If you get Québec and Ottawa on board that would be huge and Radio-Canada and TVA would jump to cover anything representing the francophone community. 

2 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Québec city (et Lévis) would be the largest market in the CanPL at launch, if it proceeds, with 800,000 residents. It also would be the market with the lowest unemployment rate, a large corporate base, and the only one with a large media footprint in a market larger than just the city through Radio-Canada or TVA - whichever picks it up. 

I have my doubts that the league administration would be silly enough to ignore a market of that caliber. So, I hope you're correct. 

Assuming none of Edmonton, Calgary, or Ottawa are not in the league at launch. 

Paul Beirne made two very definitive statements just two weeks ago in Regina. He said the probability of a 2018 half season kicking off one week after the 2018 World Cup with six teams is better than 50% and that they're pretty sure who teams 7 & 8 will be (Sask being 7). He also said that if they feel they need to wait until 2019 to get it right they will. 

I don't know if people on here have noticed, but there are several individuals who are in regular contact with people involved with the actual teams who have either completely abandoned this forum or have significantly reduced the amount they post. And I know from talking with some of them that they are quite fed up with the speculation based on nothing when there is real information out there for people willing to look. When someone posts that they have known personally for 20yrs one of the Halifax City Counsellors but that person's information is basically ignored, it should be little surprise that many in-the-know have said 'screw this'. Apologies for being so blunt folks but many of you should listen instead of constantly pulling out your own personal little hobby horses and riding them into the ground. 

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Saskatchewan have said they would be #7 under that scenario so that would narrow it down a bit to K-W United, Fraser Valley or maybe the Calgary Foothills on the using a temporary venue thing to get numbers up to six. Think people may have misread some of what has been said about possible stadiums in Regina. My understanding was that it's the old Taylor Field that was said to be on the table as an option rather than Mosaic.

From what I read they were saying they would be the 7th team given they didn't play in a temporary field. The said it would take about a year(think they said 8-10 months can't remember) to build the modular stadium and that's why they said #7. Given that I suspect they could be #6 given a temporary stadium and a 2018 soft launch. Wether the temp stadium is old Mosaic (Taylor field) or new Mosaic doesn't matter much as they're moth great venues. 

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I was going to say the same thing about Sask being number 7. They said it and Paul Beirne said it. As far as Taylor Field, it's set to be demolished this year and they're starting to auction off some of it.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3562907/parts-of-old-mosaic-stadium-set-to-be-auctioned-off/

2 minutes ago, LAK said:

I was going to say the same thing about Sask being number 7. They said it and Paul Beirne said it. As far as Taylor Field, it's set to be demolished this year and they're starting to auction off some of it.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3562907/parts-of-old-mosaic-stadium-set-to-be-auctioned-off/

https://juneof86.com/2017/07/26/sowing-soccer-dreams-on-the-prairie/

Belan declared his desire to bid to host World Cup games in 2026 at New Mosaic Stadium a day before it hosted a friendly between Valencia and the New York Cosmos. A flew blocks away Taylor Field is still largely intact and offers plenty of space for a stadium and other development.

When asked about the Taylor Field site, Belan said “all options are on the table.”

12 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Assuming none of Edmonton, Calgary, or Ottawa are not in the league at launch. 

Paul Beirne made two very definitive statements just two weeks ago in Regina. He said the probability of a 2018 half season kicking off one week after the 2018 World Cup with six teams is better than 50% and that they're pretty sure who teams 7 & 8 will be (Sask being 7). He also said that if they feel they need to wait until 2019 to get it right they will. 

I don't know if people on here have noticed, but there are several individuals who are in regular contact with people involved with the actual teams who have either completely abandoned this forum or have significantly reduced the amount they post. And I know from talking with some of them that they are quite fed up with the speculation based on nothing when there is real information out there for people willing to look. When someone posts that they have known personally for 20yrs one of the Halifax City Counsellors but that person's information is basically ignored, it should be little surprise that many in-the-know have said 'screw this'. Apologies for being so blunt folks but many of you should listen instead of constantly pulling out your own personal little hobby horses and riding them into the ground. 

This is the one flaw in the slow CPL information release approach, leads to a copious amount of speculation, rumors, assumptions and innuendo among the hardcore that care.  That and there are people here who still have their narratives (both optimistic, pessimistic and neutral) and beliefs that they insist on fitting whatever nuggets of info are out there to fit it.

I get why some are frustrated by it.  I get that way myself sometimes.  But while working I enjoy being able to discuss (even if sometimes not rationally lol) a topic that means a lot to me with others who care, even if we don't always agree.  

22 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

For me if Quebec isn't in the first 8 it would be a crime against Canadian Sport. I wouldn't say it will definitely be the largest market as I could see something happening in Calgary. However reaching the francophone community will do a lot of good for the league. If you get Québec and Ottawa on board that would be huge and Radio-Canada and TVA would jump to cover anything representing the francophone community. 

I havnt been paying much attention, but is there a potential ownership group in Quebec city??  Diversity and outreach to francophones is cool and all that but if there isnt someone willing to pony up alot of cash/effort etc in place, its a moot point.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I havnt been paying much attention, but is there a potential ownership group in Quebec city??  Diversity and outreach to francophones is cool and all that but if there isnt someone willing to pony up alot of cash/effort etc in place, its a moot point.  

I was wondering that myself this morning when it came up.  I don't remember anyone specific, just general guesses of who might be interested.

There were some tweets that provided info on who the interested investor was supposed to be (I forget the details but don't think it's the benefactor of the Or et Rouge (?) football team) after Duane Rollins stated that there was interest there and also in Trois-Rivieres. It was the old owners of the Attak (basically a rebranded Impact reserve team in the CSL) that were said to be interested in the latter case.

37 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

https://juneof86.com/2017/07/26/sowing-soccer-dreams-on-the-prairie/

Belan declared his desire to bid to host World Cup games in 2026 at New Mosaic Stadium a day before it hosted a friendly between Valencia and the New York Cosmos. A flew blocks away Taylor Field is still largely intact and offers plenty of space for a stadium and other development.

When asked about the Taylor Field site, Belan said “all options are on the table.”

I think you misinterpreted this further up the page. This doesn't sound like Taylor Field being an option for a temporary stadium to play in while they build their own. It sounds like they are considering putting their new stadium where Taylor Field is now.

We have way more info about this league than i expected to have at this point. When they made the announcement on the 6th i thought they would keep the league completely away from any sort of media until they announced it. But instead they seem to be letting each ownership group handle their situation uniquely. That seems to be why Halifax and Sask are so open and some others are maybe not. 

Halifax and Sask need to be open because they are very unique markets. Not to mention they need to talk with the city to build places to play, so they need to be open with the public. As a result, they are embracing it and are even in communication with the supporters. That's awesome.

Lets look at Calgary and Edmonton. Are they able to be open? Not at all. Unless launch date is %100 confirmed there is no way that they could let slip that they are a part of the CPL. If they did their current fan base (PDL,NASL) would be in an uproar and very confused because of the current lack of info. It is much safer for them to stay quiet. 

KW has been very open about their want to join the league. That is because they need additional investors so they are trying to show how much they love soccer and want to join. 

There are so many unique situations when forming a league. What has impressed me the most is the way the Paul Berne is allowing each bid to handle their situation in their own way. It is starting out personal and unique to each city, and it wouldn't surprise me if it stays that way. That is great in soccer! We already have 3 completely unique organizations to talk about and they haven't even started playing yet. That gives me confidence in the league.

45 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

KW has been very open about their want to join the league. That is because they need additional investors so they are trying to show how much they love soccer and want to join. 

Pretty much, Barry would be a great president/ceo since he's been running the PDL club well for a while and has a history in Canadian soccer(player representation) but I really don't believe he has anywhere near the finances needed. I don't know who that would be though, the Rangers are fan owned and the Titans are financed by multiple medium sized businesses(InnoSoft and Ball Construction I believe). If blackberry was where it was 10 years ago maybe. Linemar? Insurance bigwigs from the area? There's lot's of companies in the area I could see involved in sponsorship but I don't know enough about the rich of the area to know who would actually invest in the team. 

17 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Pretty much, Barry would be a great president/ceo since he's been running the PDL club well for a while and has a history in Canadian soccer(player representation) but I really don't believe he has anywhere near the finances needed. I don't know who that would be though, the Rangers are fan owned and the Titans are financed by multiple medium sized businesses(InnoSoft and Ball Construction I believe). If blackberry was where it was 10 years ago maybe. Linemar? Insurance bigwigs from the area? There's lot's of companies in the area I could see involved in sponsorship but I don't know enough about the rich of the area to know who would actually invest in the team. 

I've wondered about the Litts - Michael owns Vidyard, loves the area. 

The other would be Ted Livingston. Own's KIK. Worth over 1b. Also a massive area booster.

14 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

I've wondered about the Litts - Michael owns Vidyard, loves the area. 

The other would be Ted Livingston. Own's KIK. Worth over 1b. Also a massive area booster.

Having young forward thinking investors would be nice. Having more tech moguls behind the CPL would be nice as new media will be crucial to the CPL's success IMO. 

52 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Pretty much, Barry would be a great president/ceo since he's been running the PDL club well for a while and has a history in Canadian soccer(player representation) but I really don't believe he has anywhere near the finances needed....

Somebody was claiming on here at one point that he sold a company for something like $300 million and has the wealth to run a pro level soccer team and the only thing holding him back from doing that has been the moratarium.

11 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Having young forward thinking investors would be nice. Having more tech moguls behind the CPL would be nice as new media will be crucial to the CPL's success IMO. 

I agree. The Quebec City team should be a joint venture of Brazzers and PornHub