CPL General

17 hours ago, Blackdude said:

He didn't come out of nowhere. We knew about him. He was the best player of our U17 2 years ago. 

But where was he before that?

Nowhere!

(spooky sound effects as everyone makes an exhaspirated gasp at the same time.)

I’m really optimistic about the CPL; some people may view their rumored budgets as too low, but I think (if true) they’re actually exactly what’s called for. The budgets will be sufficient to establish a ‘professional’ player base of Canadians with a sprinkling of gifted foreigners. The numbers are at the same time low enough to allow the league time to grow without the short term risk of going broke if the league takes a few years to get entrenched. All in all it sounds quite a reasonable balance that’s being struck.

http://canpl.ca/video/state-of-the-league-clanachan-on-trialists-kit-partnership-with-macron-and-player-signings

Have CPL clubs targeted a date to reveal their first player signings?

Clanachan: “There’s been great anticipation by our supporters to find out who will be playing in the CPL next year, and I’d love to announce players right now, but the reality is that we’re still developing roster plans with the coaches that will start to become public within the next two weeks.

“There’s a myriad of administrative work and confidential contract negotiations that are dictating our timing, but we’ll have some really exciting news in the next two weeks.”

On 10/6/2018 at 7:52 PM, Macksam said:

Not surprised at all and I just rolled my eyes at what Manning said. I can only assume they asked him about the price increase and he just goes on about making sure they don’t have a bad season again. This is a good reminder why I can’t stand that organization at all and haven’t been to a TFC game since 2013. 

Well you missed probably one of the greatest seasons ever then last season. Being born and raised in Toronto and following pro soccer with all the different pro soccer teams that Toronto has had since the early 1970’s , the 2017 season was one of the most satisfying for me after so many years of following pro soccer in Toronto , the only one that came close was watching the Toronto Metros Croatia win the Championship of the old NASL in 1976, but that final was in Seattle and I watched in on TV. However, being in at BMO last December and watching TFC gain revenge after losing to Seattle on penalties the previous year and winning it was quite an experience in front of a packed crowd at BMO. It made all my years supporting pro soccer in Toronto worth it, supporting the Metros, Metros Croatia, the Blizzard, the Rockets and the Lynx. Supporting a lot of these teams in stadiums with usually a few thousand people in attendance with hardly any media coverage of any kind, moreover having to deal with all the soccer haters everywhere. It’s a business and in the end MLSE is in it to make money and prices will rise, but as long as I can afford it I will buy my season tickets like I have since day one in 2007 and support a Toronto pro soccer team like I have since the early 1970’s because first and foremost I’m a soccer fan so why wouldn’t I go it’s the highest level league for now and probably in the foreseeable future and my city has a team in that league so I’m there , I hate it when they are crap like this season but last season let me tell you that was beautiful!

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/canadian-premier-league-to-partner-with-u-sports-on-sharing-talent

The Canadian Premier League is joining forces with U Sports to help funnel young talent to the fledgling men’s pro soccer league.

Student-athletes will be able to play with a CPL club, while preserving their eligibility, in the spring and summer before returning to U Sports competition. The student will be paid for his efforts after signing a CPL-U Sports developmental contract...

30 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/canadian-premier-league-to-partner-with-u-sports-on-sharing-talent

The Canadian Premier League is joining forces with U Sports to help funnel young talent to the fledgling men’s pro soccer league.

Student-athletes will be able to play with a CPL club, while preserving their eligibility, in the spring and summer before returning to U Sports competition. The student will be paid for his efforts after signing a CPL-U Sports developmental contract...

A sane approach to student athletes.  Long overdue.

I hope that a university player will only be able to play with his university team once the CPL season is over, also hopefully he is able to stay with the CPL team until the CPL  season is over and not leave his CPL team to join his university before the CPL season is over, that would not be a good look on the CPL if these university players are leaving their CPL teams before the CPL season is finished or if they are allowed to play both meaning play for their CPL team and also play for their university team at the same time , I don’t want to be seeing a university player for example play for his university team on Friday and then see him play on his CPL team on Saturday for example ,  that would look very bush league, let the CPL season finish first then allow the university players to join their university teams once the CPL season is over. Moreover, don’t kid yourself people hopefully the CPL also looks at the Canadian community colleges aswell , the Canadian community colleges are just as good and at times better than a lot of these university teams .

Edited by 1996

4 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I always curious about this, any clue why SFU plays in NCAA instead of USports?

Because they think its better basically. Theyre on a 10 yr contract. It was terrible at first but has started to payoff it seems. They are div2 but all div2 teams can pick 1 men and womens program and enter div1. There has been some buzz around here that they might go Div1 hockey for both. I would prefer basketball. Theyre soccer team is ranked#1 in that country and crushing everyone this year. Theyve been to the final 4 a few times lately and usually consists of mostly former Whitecaps residency players

8 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I hope that a university player will only be able to play with his university team once the CPL season is over, also hopefully he is able to stay with the CPL team until the CPL  season is over and not leave his CPL team to join his university before the CPL season is over

It says right in the article:

Student-athletes who join a CPL club will be released to return to their U Sports team on Aug. 15. Once their U Sports team has wrapped up their season, the student-athlete may re-join the CPL side.

1 minute ago, 1996 said:

I hope that a university player will only be able to play with his university team once the CPL season is over, ...

That's the strange part of this because there is going to be a lot of overlap in the seasons which would make that close to impossible given the U-sports games run from late August to early November. Looks like a way to have some cheap roster content in a PDL sort of way basically and it might help to persuade universities to do more to accommodate soccer in their main stadium alongside Canadian football, if there was some level of roster overlap between the CanPL team and the U-Sports team. K/W and Quebec City are obvious target markets from that sort of standpoint.

11 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I hope that a university player will only be able to play with his university team once the CPL season is over, also hopefully he is able to stay with the CPL team until the CPL  season is over and not leave his CPL team to join his university before the CPL season is over, that would not be a good look on the CPL if these university players are leaving their CPL teams before the CPL season is finished or if they are allowed to play both meaning play for their CPL team and also play for their university team at the same time , I don’t want to be seeing a university player for example play for his university team on Friday and then see him play on his CPL team on Saturday for example ,  that would look very bush league, let the CPL season finish first then allow the university players to join their university teams once the CPL season is over. Moreover, don’t kid yourself people hopefully the CPL also looks at the Canadian community colleges aswell , the Canadian community colleges are just as good and at times better than a lot of these university teams .

The press release already states that players will lose their eligibility if they don't return for the USports season Aug 15 .. and that season ends rigth at the end of October (around the same time as CPL season end).

34 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

It says right in the article:

Student-athletes who join a CPL club will be released to return to their U Sports team on Aug. 15. Once their U Sports team has wrapped up their season, the student-athlete may re-join the CPL side.

this actually has me curious about the pay of these players. it kind of has the look of a summer job so am curious if they'll be paid at a similar rate of other players or if there will be some kind of special deal regarding them and pay.

no matter what big thumbs up. finally making serious use of one of our biggest player pools.

Really good to see. What bugs me most about the NCAA is their eligibility; It is so easy to lose eligibility. I this this will really improve U-sports drawing power compared to NCAA. One of the big problems with the MLS B teams was the players having to give up NCAA eligibility to play. Now they can do both school and pro without that worry. It means more talented players will stick with their pro soccer dreams at age 18.

At the same time, it is a win for CPL as they will get talented young players, likely for cheap. And they get to start relationships with the players to try and get them to sign full time if they are worth it.

and most of all it is good for the player. Finally the player doesn’t have to chose between school or pro sports. They can do both, and if they are good enough for the CPL, they can go play full time. It doesn’t matter how old they are when they make the decision, could be 18 if they are good enough, also could be 23 after 4 years of U-sport.

The top 20-30 players in the entire CIS (U Sports) Are worthy of a chance to play professional since they are the best of their category (College)

But let’s not forget about the States, NCAA Division 1 players, how will the CPL go about clubs approaching them? 

Both are equally important