CPL General

I think the, look up at the tv at the bar or restaurant, factor is important to capture the average Canadian. Plus to my own point, when it comes to highlite shows and talk the outlets just put forth what they have invested in. These things are important right now. Im just saying its not as important as one might think and decreasing in importance.

Ill also say if DAZN is the media outlet im concerned because look at Champions league. Its always on at lunch time and every pub shows it. Great exposure. I asked a pub yesterday if they could show DAZNand they told me technically they cant show a streaming service? That ciuld be a big problem for the CPL if true

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

I hate to say this, but I don't think this league is going to work.  This country is full of people that only care about one sport and you can't convince them otherwise. 

Just turn on your local sports radio station.  In Toronto they are discussing how to pronounce 'Tavares'.  In Vancouver they are talking about what they are going to do with their lottery pick in next years NHL draft.

I get that people here might disagree because this is a place for soccer fans.  I hope it succeeds and I will be first in line for a membership if/when it ever comes to Vancouver, but I just don't know.  We don't even have our own pro hockey league, so how is soccer ever going to work?

Sure, but there's a reason why they're not putting teams in Toronto and Vancouver, and MLS isn't the only reason.

Part of the appeal that the rest of the country has is that you're not fighting for attention with an overload of other sports teams, especially in the summer.  Hockey is getting attention now because hockey is starting, but for most of May through September, that attention won't be there.

56 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Sure, but there's a reason why they're not putting teams in Toronto and Vancouver, and MLS isn't the only reason.

Part of the appeal that the rest of the country has is that you're not fighting for attention with an overload of other sports teams, especially in the summer.  Hockey is getting attention now because hockey is starting, but for most of May through September, that attention won't be there.

Then Saskatchewan should have been priority #1 by this league. 

12 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I also assumed this was the case. But bi-monthly can also mean every second month. 

Please let this not be what they meant. 

I'm pretty sure bi-monthly can only mean every two months. Every two weeks would be bi-weekly, fortnightly, or even twice monthly.

8 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm pretty sure bi-monthly can only mean every two months. Every two weeks would be bi-weekly, fortnightly, or even twice monthly.

All of those bi/semi<time period>ly words are ambiguous and therefor meaningless and should be retired from usage.
bi·month·ly
ˌbīˈmənTHlē/
adjective
adjective: bi-monthly
  1. 1.
    occurring or produced twice a month or every two months.
    "a bimonthly newsletter"
adverb
adverb: bi-monthly
  1. 1.
    twice a month or every two months.
    "the magazine appears bimonthly"

Edited by Kent

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Ill also say if DAZN is the media outlet im concerned because look at Champions league. Its always on at lunch time and every pub shows it. Great exposure. I asked a pub yesterday if they could show DAZNand they told me technically they cant show a streaming service? That ciuld be a big problem for the CPL if true

I guess they need a license that allows them to show it commercially right?

I'd say the biggest problem with streaming services is the reliability of a stream (compared to TV at least).  I can't imagine packing a bar for the big game and your stream dies on you.

54 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yep. No competing sports in Sask to worry about stealing the headlines/sponsorship dollars. ?

I sense your sarcasm.  But don't tell me for a second that people from Saskatchewan wouldn't support a team better than anywhere else.  The Riders account for almost 50% of CFL revenue!

8 minutes ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

I sense your sarcasm.  But don't tell me for a second that people from Saskatchewan wouldn't support a team better than anywhere else.  The Riders account for almost 50% of CFL revenue!

Chuckle. Sarcasm indeed. 

And as for supporting a Sask team, if it caught on, yes, a team (or teams) would have great support. But it’s much more complicated than that. Small population, willingness to travel to games, football/hockey mentality ... all these are influential factors in a team’s potential support. 

So the trick would be for it to catch on. And that is not a small ask. 

7 hours ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

I hate to say this, but I don't think this league is going to work.  This country is full of people that only care about one sport and you can't convince them otherwise. 

Just turn on your local sports radio station.  In Toronto they are discussing how to pronounce 'Tavares'.  In Vancouver they are talking about what they are going to do with their lottery pick in next years NHL draft.

I get that people here might disagree because this is a place for soccer fans.  I hope it succeeds and I will be first in line for a membership if/when it ever comes to Vancouver, but I just don't know.  We don't even have our own pro hockey league, so how is soccer ever going to work?

It's been a while since we had a post like this before....you even did the whole "We don't even have a professional hockey league," spiel.

You're new so I'll take it easy on ya.

You got to utilize more than just citing anecdotal media evidence of the country's obsession with one sport when arguing if this venture will fail or not.

Is the Robinson firing by the Whitecaps in part a reaction to ensure legitimacy before fans who want a more strongly identifiable Canadian product?

I wonder how many fans have mentioned CPL to the club, or our lack of Canadian content? It is interesting that Teibert's new lease on life almost coincides directly with the CPL annoucements, as does having another 4 Canucks on the pitch regularly over these last months (Doneil, De Jong, Davies, Levis). 

I realise the Caps are not directly or even slightly threatened by Pacific, in Victoria, but a team in the Fraser Valley in a decent stadium, drawing CPL projected numbers, could cut into their market and resources and weaken rather than strengthen them in MLS.

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

Just posting to debunk the claims that Montreal Impact has Montreal Metro locked down. According to this... they are doing terrible on TV.  

Bringing Quebec City and Laval could end up doing better if marketed the right way.

That proves two things:

1) It proves Montreal and Quebec is a Montreal Canadiens city and province. Top 2 shows watched were Montreal Canadiens games including one which was played at the exact same time as the Impact game. And also the pre and post shows from both make it in. 

2) It's the only show on TVA Sports that cracks the top 10. So, it might be more of TVA Sports not having a lot of subscribers. If you scroll down into replies. They do mention that TVA Sports has 1 million less subscribers than RDS think they got the info from Jermy Filosa. 

I'm wondering more if it's on the Impact, the Canadiens or TVA Sports, but the answer is that it's a mix of all 3. 

Edited by Blackdude

8 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

That proves two things:

1) It proves Montreal and Quebec is a Montreal Canadiens city. Top 2 shows watched were Montreal Canadiens games including one which was played at the exact same time as the Impact game. And also the pre and post shows from both make it in. 

2) It's the only show on TVA Sports that cracks the top 10. So, it might be more of TVA Sports not having a lot of subscribers. If you scroll down into replies. They do mention that TVA Sports has 1 million less subscribers than RDS think they got the info from Jermy Filosa. 

I'm wondering more if it's on the Impact, the Canadiens or TVA Sports, but the answer is that it's a mix of all 3. 

I also think developing more Quebec players and featuring them in their promo would help. I was baffled by the lack of Bernier marketing campaign...still am with Piette on the team who's from Repentigny.

I'd like to think that a Laval-Quebec rivalry, with Quebecois being shown front and centre alongside a marquee foreign player will be more attractive to casual audience and media.

Lenarduzzi interview

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/whitecaps-president-robinson-firing-time-move/

Good stuff at the 9:00 mark

Pretty much defending the low spending philosophy of the Whitecaps when being challenged on that. Don't know if it's unwillingness or inability to spend at the level of the top clubs but what's the point in staying in MLS if you know that you'll only get the cup by pulling a "Leicester City" type of miracle? How will you be able to sell that to fans and for how long? He's kind of being challenged there too.

He's pointing out to leagues around the world where the giants are spending the money while the others do the best they can with their limited resources. Does Vancouver wants to be an "MLS minnow or CPL powerhouse"? More importantly, what would the fans rather see for their team? In the end, it comes down to that in my opinion.

I'm starting to think that in the long term, only TFC can keep up with the rest of MLS. Saputo in Montreal is already tied up with Bologna in Serie A and have terrible TV ratings and inconsistent attendances (they are called  out by Garber from time to time).

I'm still of the opinion that CPL, long term,  will become a more viable place where they can

• Run the clubs with their preferred level of spending AND dominate the league like a "Real Madrid - Barcelona - Atletico Madrid" standing situation in La Liga -- which drives up sales for winning, getting cups and going to Champions League
  • Spending in Canadian dollars
  • Have meaningful rivalries, which also drives up sale. (Montreal vs Quebec - Vancouver vs Surrey & Victoria - Toronto vs the rest of Ontario)
  • Drives up merchandise sales
  • Boost the league value (TV, reputation etc...) and allow it to reach it's true potential.

I'm sorry but MLS is moving fast towards 3.0 and only going UP. I don't think Vancouver and Montreal will keep up. I think for CPL and CSA, all they need to do is to wait it out until CPL starts to make more sense to them.

Edited by Ansem

TFC won't leave MLS because they're backed by the Bogers consortium and the team provides content for their platforms.

Montreal won't leave MLS because Joey's ego won't let him and he knows that the current supporters will see TFC is in MLS and won't put up with less than major league quality of play.

Vancouver probably won't leave MLS due to the Cascadia Rivalry and Canada needs a western team that aspires to the highest level of play.

Bob did a great sidestep at 4:15 when asked why he still had a job after only 1 playoff appearance in 5 years. :D The interviewer was a bit disingenuous when he grouped Sporting KC and Portland as teams that spend - neither of them are top third in spending and yet they've won MLS cups. It's an organizational deficiency with the Caps that they haven't been successful. I really hope they get Dos Santos in there as coach.

Edited by Initial B