CPL General

Can't say Edmonton isn't getting all the helps it needs from CPL. Beirne talking to mainstream media can only help FC Edmonton finally reach the casuals and other members of the business class in the city/province that has been out of its reach for so many years. That's the help that the team never got from NASL,

and I say this to one "particular individual",

-USL sure won't do that either

Edited by Ansem

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

^^^Have already addressed the question of bets at least twice on previous pages.

Seriously? I honestly must have missed that, both times. It doesn't really matter. I was just trying to bring a little levity to the constant conflicts that you had with people...to show you that you could disagree but still have comradery etc.

I will no longer do that.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Can't say Edmonton isn't getting all the helps it needs from CPL. Beirne talking to mainstream media can only help FC Edmonton finally reach the casuals and other members of the business class in the city/province that has been out of its reach for so many years. That's the help that the team never got from NASL

Seems like CPL talk and announcments has had reasonably decent coverage in city/national printed press. Anyone know if local tv covered his visit? 

CPL is certainly trying to show Fath their commitment and hopefully the people of Edmonton and area follow suit.

17 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Seems like CPL talk and announcments has had reasonably decent coverage in city/national printed press. Anyone know if local tv covered his visit? 

CPL is certainly trying to show Fath their commitment and hopefully the people of Edmonton and area follow suit.

On the picture, he's being interviewed by CTV. Pretty good to reach casuals.

Our sports channels needs to talk about it. He needs to be on Tim and Sid once all the teams are announced 

3 hours ago, LAK said:

Seriously? I honestly must have missed that, both times. It doesn't really matter. I was just trying to bring a little levity to the constant conflicts that you had with people...to show you that you could disagree but still have comradery etc.

I will no longer do that.

If I remember right I think he said he’s not a betting man.

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

So essentially, we've reset the counter to 60-90 days again?  Not meant as a joke.

Could've sworn that the last 60-90 day timeline for team announcements is expiring any day now.

I’m starting to wonder if all these 60-90 day deadlines are cleverly worded to be just that an announcement will be made, with the announcement being another 60-90 days deadline.

Maybe the conversation in this thread goes in circles because the “news” on the league goes in circles.

I really want to be optimistic, but when they keep missing these 60-90 day deadlines how am I supposed to take talk of expansion in 2026 seriously?

27 minutes ago, Kent said:

I’m starting to wonder if all these 60-90 day deadlines are cleverly worded to be just that an announcement will be made, with the announcement being another 60-90 days deadline.

Maybe the conversation in this thread goes in circles because the “news” on the league goes in circles.

I really want to be optimistic, but when they keep missing these 60-90 day deadlines how am I supposed to take talk of expansion in 2026 seriously?

How am I supposed to take talk of 2019 seriously, or eight teams seriously, or 6,000-8,000 fans seriously, or payroll figures seriously, when the league can't meet any of its other self-imposed numbers and metrics?

52 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm pretty certain they've only actually said "60-90 days" once or twice, it's just that every time we hear a statement saying that something is going to be announced "soon" everybody on the forum starts making "60-90 days" jokes. I don't think they've actually set a 60-90 day "deadline" for anything in a long while, although I might be wrong.

12 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Again more conflicting info. "Could start with six" vs "there will be more than six". "Applications" vs "communities who have shown interest".

Seriously I know no more now than I did 6 months ago...

And then I see tweets like this that just add more confusion:

Difficult to know what to make of that without hearing the wider context and who was doing the correcting. Can anyone provide more of the background to this? Maybe it ties into the due dilligence thing that Paul Beirne has said he'll be doing in all of the cities, because that would be a way of reassuring a hometown Edmonton crowd that Edmonton is on par with Hamilton and Winnipeg in status terms at the moment. That would make it a mole hill.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Let's be clear here: if they had six confirmed, ready-to-go, paid-up, full-time clubs ready to launch in April 2019 at this moment they would have announced them already and would be working on scheduling matches as well as national television and marketing deals. 

As linked in that Bobby McMahon tweet, it's already late days to get sporting, sales and operations teams in place at both the club and league for an April 1, 2019 launch, never mind June. Can they still get something together at this point for next year? I think so, but it's pretty obvious they are still at a contingent stage with all of the non-confirmed clubs and they almost certainly need FC Edmonton or Ottawa to commit to get to six teams for next year, and probably both.

6 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Let's be clear here: if they had six confirmed, ready-to-go, paid-up, full-time clubs ready to launch in April 2019 at this moment they would have announced them already and would be working on scheduling matches as well as national television and marketing deals. 

As linked in that Bobby McMahon tweet, it's already late days to get sporting, sales and operations teams in place at both the club and league for an April 1, 2019 launch, never mind June. Can they still get something together at this point for next year? I think so, but it's pretty obvious they are still at a contingent stage with all of the non-confirmed clubs and they almost certainly need FC Edmonton or Ottawa to commit to get to six teams for next year, and probably both.

How do you know all that stuff isn’t happening?

Nobody is claiming to know with certainty what will happen. Dub Narcotic's post outlines a reasonable looking inference based on things not having followed the timeline that David Clanachan described back in January.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inference

The line of reasoning is that if they had six teams in place and ready to rumble for 2019 we would almost certainly already be hearing about it and they would actively be hiring people to do all the things that need to be done between now and April 2019 to launch a new league, because that would be the rational course of action anybody in their position would be likely to take under that scenario.

Seven problems they have had are Regina city council demolishing Taylor Field when it could have been an easy stadium solution for the Saskatchewan team as opposed to the subsequent Saskatoon scenario of securing land from the city for a permanent stadium after having a pop-up at the fairground, no suitable stadium solution being found in K/W, Edmonton going off the reservation with very public complaints about future sustainability and the season tickets presale drive to gauge interest, Hamilton city council not being willing to negotiate with the Ticats over a soccer lease due to the litigation related to cost overruns and delays during the building of THF, Ottawa being happy enough with USL to have adopted a standoffish posture to CanPL, Halifax city council adding Waye Mason's amendments to the Wanderers ground pop-up resolution, and the Surrey group apparently not securing the location they want from the municipaity so far despite tweeted rumours of things being about to happen there.

It's only really Winnipeg right now that are clearly on board with a suitable stadium to play in locked and loaded for 2019 (depending on how much credence you place on the Spruce Meadows showjumping arena in Calgary being a possible venue), and even they haven't felt a need to do things like hiring a front office, organizing exhibition games for this summer and starting season ticket presales. A lot needs to happen on stadiums very quickly or this is going to drag on for at least another year.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

People need some patience Spring 2019 is a ways away.

The CPL executives say the league launches in 2019 - considering the people involved with the project there is absolutely no rason to doubt this.

I understand that people want news, team confirmations ect....

However from the perspective of the league they want to do this right and have absolutely NO need to rush out the club announcements. At this point i'm sure the league is looking to time this and roll it out to get maximum coverage and attention. Not to appease a the chat forum crew.

Do not fret things are looking very good and we will have soccer in 2019.

I'm not concerned whether teams would have enough time to get up and running. I don't think that should be an issue if the teams are run by people with experience (and if they are run by CFL owners/FC Edmonton/Ottawa Fury they will). It's more on the stadium end of things. Will all the teams have access to an acceptable stadium in time? because outside of the CFL stadiums there isn't much there that I would call adequate.

Watching the CMNT friendly today I was like..."yeahhhh a lot of CPL stadiums could be like this... the camera angle almost makes this non-watchable". Problems like this be be a huge detriment for the league starting out.  

18 hours ago, Zem said:

I'm pretty certain they've only actually said "60-90 days" once or twice, it's just that every time we hear a statement saying that something is going to be announced "soon" everybody on the forum starts making "60-90 days" jokes. I don't think they've actually set a 60-90 day "deadline" for anything in a long while, although I might be wrong.

No, they shorten that "60-90 day" joke to "the coming weeks" and we still get nothing.

"Additional CPL communities will be confirmed in the coming weeks."
http://canpl.ca/article/david-clanachan-named-first-commissioner-of-cpl

It's been two and a half months since "the coming weeks" and still nothing.

2 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Hell, we'd be having stadium construction or refurbishment planned - if not started - by this point.

For all the boardroom announcements they had in January, we're physically no closer to any new or renovated stadiums than we were when the Halifax news broke a year ago.

4 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

How do you know all that stuff isn’t happening?

They don’t. Haters want to hate and non-believers won’t believe no matter what is said or dine. I seriously think the league could run for a decade and the same group of people will be predicting the inevitable decline amd how this its the worst thing for Canadian soccer ever. 

Being one of said optimists, as much as there could be trouble at t'mill with the original 6, the CPL could have been asked or decided to set a later deadline for one of the fabled 2-4 more hoping to join the 6. It make more sense to wait until they can fully confirm specifics before launching teams individually.

All that said the skeptic in me also thinks they could do the same but start the team announcements and if the extras work out they can be announced last. Some things are always unavoidable in terms of delays and out of the CPL's control. They are however currently veering towards the territory of over promising and under delivering in the impatient persons eyes, which is perilous for business and building trust.