CPL General

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Ignoring the people who are trying to pick a personal fight rather than discuss the issues, does this guy have a track record of breaking inside info or could he just be making fun of Anthony Totera? Putting the "Boom. Sources.." bit there probably wasn't done to create extra gravitas.

You're not actually ignoring them when you say something about them.

50 minutes ago, Rheo said:

And this is why I have him on ignore (even though I see when he's quoted lol)  It really does make this place a lot nicer

I've now done the same. I was guilty of quoting LOSF (as we used to know and dislike him) in the past.  My apologies! ;)

Edited by dbailey62

Just now, dbailey62 said:

I've now done the same. I was guilty of quoting LOSF (as we used to know and dislike him) in the pat.  My apologies! ;)

I realized I wasting too much time on a couple of negative, condescending, arrogant know it alls who had no interest in any type of rational conversation.  Let the haters hate while I try to be a more productive person here.

8 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I realized I wasting too much time on a couple of negative, condescending, arrogant know it alls who had no interest in any type of rational conversation.  Let the haters hate while I try to be a more productive person here.

Hear hear!

^^^Bookmarked so I can remind him that I am supposed to be on ignore next time he tries to pick another fight rather than discuss the issues. Where were we again on the actual issues. It's now not so obvious what's going on in Calgary given the move south to something described as permanent is to a small high school football stadium in Ototoks that is unlikely to ever provide 8000 to 10000 seats in an expandable manner rather than to the Spruce Meadows showjumping arena, which would be a bit of a bizarre setting for a sport followed by what would normally be viewed as riff-raff by the average equestrian enthusiast but perhaps could. Roy Nasrala spent two days with them in January according to one of the #Royontheroad tweets, so the Foothills definitely seemed to be part of whatever was going on in Calgary with #CanPL at that point. Will be interesting to see what ultimately unfolds there. Calgary is clearly large enough as a metro area for pro soccer of some description to be sustainable, so hopefully something bigger and better than PDL will emerge there over the next few years.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

5 hours ago, Macksam said:

To BBTB

North America needs more rival sports leagues so this is what’s exactly needed right now.

I believe Canada along with the United States is ripe for another World Hockey Association as well.

I would not mind seeing a well funded rival to the NHL even if it to just temporarily urinate on their corn flakes!

Edited by dbailey62

On 13/03/2018 at 11:43 AM, Gopherbashi said:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canadian-government-supports-fifa-2026-world-cup-bid-1.4573730

The feds announce their support for the 2026 WC bid, including security and border control costs as well as $5m in transitional support for the CSA until FIFA takes over WC operations.

Honestly, the best news here is that the limited media attention given to soccer because of this probably provides the best springboard the CPL could hope for before making team announcements.

Indeed. You may recall that one of the main reasons for choosing the US to host the 1994 World Cup was to help them establish a professional league. I seem to recall that it took a couple of years but eventually MLS got going.

Edited by dsqpr

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

After Bettman prevented players going to the Olympics, the NHL is dead to me. No rival required.  Fuck em.

Not to derail this thread but considering al the evidence I completely blame the IOC and the IIHF not the NHL... As much as I hate the owners and the league.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

A new league that got rid of fighting, regular season shootouts, and loser points, and let their players go to the Olympics just might get me watching hockey again.

I like the fighting! In fact I'd like to add it into football! (Only half joking...)

Hey maybe Some won’t agree with me but I will feel like the CPL has missed another  opportunity to become  relevant and to put a real mark in North America soccer. MLS and Liga Mx have created a new partnership. Why wasn’t the CPL apart of that? Ya maybe there is a lot of work happening behide the  scenes but more is needed. More  announcements ,  more partnerships,  more clarity. The CPL in my view is looking  very flat. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/03/13/mls-liga-mx-bosses-hope-new-partnership-will-elevate-north-american-soccer

Edited by SpecialK

Move beyond the bubble of the Voyageurs board on the CanPL issue and this is how it will be viewed by most soccer people. MLS is the top soccer league in both Canada and the United States, so Canada is already involved in an MLS and Liga MX partnership. Mexico won't be pushing for their Liga Ascenso teams to be on board and the United States won't want USL teams making an appearance, because that's second tier, so why would Canada deserve an entrant from a relatively low budget pro league that is also quite clearly not on par with MLS and Liga MX in financial and playing standard terms? This CanPL thing has a bit of an identity crisis at the moment. It wants the status of a D1 league without providing the substance of it and in the environment of a joint WC 2026 bid, it's almost certainly going to be TFC and the Impact that are viewed as the hosting entities given where the 10 games are likely to be played, so it's going to be very difficult to persuade people to take it seriously as anything other than Canada's D2, if it ever gets off the launch pad and survives more than a single season.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Hey maybe Some won’t agree with me but I will feel like the CPL has missed another  opportunity to become  relevant and to put a real mark in North America soccer. MLS and Liga Mx have created a new partnership. Why wasn’t the CPL apart of that? Ya maybe there is a lot of work happening behide the  scenes but more is needed. More  announcements ,  more partnerships,  more clarity. The CPL in my view is looking  very flat. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/03/13/mls-liga-mx-bosses-hope-new-partnership-will-elevate-north-american-soccer

I think the CPL will have to earn that. We'll definitely be two or three notches below MLS and/or Liga MX for many years to come, both on the field and in the stands. Just because we are recognized as D1 in Canada by Soccer Canada, we have to be realistic. Give it five or ten years. Right now, we're just a paper league. Hopefully by this time next year we'll be into our first season and we can start to prove ourselves to the naysayers! 

It will take time.

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

None of that announcement even has me excited as an MLS fan. And yeah, as dbailey62 said, we have to earn that. Do you want CPL to be involved in the all-star game? Or the campeones cup or whatever it's called? Or just the light-on-details partnership off of the field?

Let's worry about getting teams first before we worry about stuff like that.

Hi everyone, I hear someone is dragging my name through the mud. Let me clarify a few things.

Regarding the move of Calgary Foothills to Okotoks, while the move of the PDL club to Okotoks is not completely in isolation to CPL, it is being made for a few reasons that largely have nothing to do with CPL. That said, do not confuse a potential CPL club with the existing PDL club. They are two separate entities.

First, there is not a single facility in Calgary that meets what the facility in Okotoks provides, which is bleachers with seating for 1000, grass field, no track, a dedicated press box and a pub a few hundred metres away. Second, Okotoks has supported their amateur sports teams (the Dawgs and Oilers) quite well, and there is precedence for an amateur Calgary team moving to Okotoks and flourishing in the Dawgs move. I'll be blunt here, Calgary has not supported the PDL club well and in my view the move to Okotoks may provide a boon in the stands, even if I personally hate the location and will likely stay away after 2018. Most importantly, moving to Okotoks allows Foothills to have complete control of the facility for the duration of the season, something which they have not been able to do for their first 3 years.

Secondly, yes, I posted a photo of Stu and I meeting Roy Nasrallah. Yes, the point of the meeting was to get supporter feedback in actual and potential CPL markets. The point of the post was to show that despite some posters claiming to know what's going on in some CPL markets, they don't. Building a supporters group largely from scratch will get you certain inside info.

Third, that Tweet from Jon was done to rile up those who are so desperate for news that they will latch onto anything that appears to be news. Seems to have worked.

If anyone in Calgary who actually wants to support CPL wishes to pry information out of me, just join me at the next Canada watch party, and I'd be happy to share what I know over a pint (or usually 4)

Edited by shermanator

Yep. Nothing to flap about with the MLS/Liga MX partnership. It's like worrying about your toddler not finishing the 100m sprint like his older sister. "can he even walk yet?" "THATS NOT THE POINT" "ok robert"

As BBTB says. Canada is represented through the MLS. If/when the CPL gets strong enough similar partnerships will be pursued if they are in the CPL/CSA's best interests.

We were told about Spruce Meadows on here with Steven Sandor being named as the source of something that was discussed in confidence with some fans and then leaked long before any photograph with Roy Nasrala and we've had somebody in Calgary post on here recently that they were told about Spruce Meadows by one of the directors of the Foothills, so I seriously doubt he has anything to tell you that we haven't already heard and isn't being plastered all over twitter if you know where to look: