CPL General

6 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Can someone connect the dots for me on this york 9 thing? what is it? What is Jim Brennan involved in? This all seems vague to me unless I'm missing something concrete.

Article a couple of months ago a local paper reported that Brennan was leaving the League1 team he was at to work for a York regional CPL team.  Then some guy tweeted yesterday that he was affiliated to this York Sports and Entertainment, , which was confirmed from his Linkedin page.  So assumptions made that that is the CPL team referenced before. 

No clue where the York 9 came up with exactly.  Saw some references to it on Twitter yesterday but didn't get a chance to dig around.

19 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Article a couple of months ago a local paper reported that Brennan was leaving the League1 team he was at to work for a York regional CPL team.  Then some guy tweeted yesterday that he was affiliated to this York Sports and Entertainment, , which was confirmed from his Linkedin page.  So assumptions made that that is the CPL team referenced before. 

No clue where the York 9 came up with exactly.  Saw some references to it on Twitter yesterday but didn't get a chance to dig around.

Gracias.

14 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Can someone connect the dots for me on this york 9 thing? what is it? What is Jim Brennan involved in? This all seems vague to me unless I'm missing something concrete.

I accidentally stumbled upon it the other day. After the tweet from mlswriters I tried looking into York Sports & Entertainment more. They listed two employees on LinkedIn, Brennan as Executive Vice President and Preben Ganzhorn as President.

A quick search on Ganzhorn (there wasn't much) and opening every link I could find sent me to his Facebook profile. The very first thing listed was 'President of York 9 FC' with a link to this Facebook page. There are also Twitter and Instagram accounts.

1 hour ago, PJSweet said:

Shouldn't we be hearing some team announcements by now?

The failure to resolve the Hamilton stadium lease issue, which surfaced again in mainstream media terms just before the latest set of league meetings, is a possible explanation for why team announcements wouldn't be being announced on the schedule implied by David Clanachan a couple of months back.

Anyone caught this?

*I've been out of the loop for a while so forgive me if this is old news

https://mobile.twitter.com/York9FCSG/status/972120375017517056

As our friends @TheCanPLHub reported earlier in the week. Our understanding is that group includes GreenPark Homes & @JimmyBrennan11 Possibly will play out out York University for 2 years while a 15-20K stadium is built in the City of Vaughan area for 2020-21 season @CPLsoccer

Edited by Ansem

16 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Anyone caught this?

*I've been out of the loop for a while so forgive me if this is old news

https://mobile.twitter.com/York9FCSG/status/972120375017517056

As our friends @TheCanPLHub reported earlier in the week. Our understanding is that group includes GreenPark Homes & @JimmyBrennan11 Possibly will play out out York University for 2 years while a 15-20K stadium is built in the City of Vaughan area for 2020-21 season @CPLsoccer

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Interesting.  Took a quick look on the website but don't see that referenced in any article that I saw (unless they the site tweeted it)

Some of this was news to me. Reported about York 9 FC being a thing and Brennan's involvement via Twitter earlier in the week, but was not aware of GreenPark Homes or the stadium situation.

Or is it the Track and Field stadium beside the football stadium that was used for the Pan Am games? I do believe there's a grass field there. Full disclosure, I have no idea what's going on, but I thought I would throw this out as a possibility too. I think I could've used a semi colon somewhere in there...

March 9, 2018 League 1 Ontario All Stars 1  Ottawa Fury FC (USL)   6   

my game report at:  http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o010.htm  

The GAM and TAM rules displacing Canadian players on TFC will cause Rocket Robin to 'take it on the LAM' to the arms of the Canadian Premier League!   

Jonathan Osorio is the only Canadian to see on field action in the four games that TFC have played this season.  

On 2018-03-09 at 11:31 PM, Rocket Robin said:

March 9, 2018 League 1 Ontario All Stars 1  Ottawa Fury FC (USL)   6   

my game report at:  http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o010.htm  

The GAM and TAM rules displacing Canadian players on TFC will cause Rocket Robin to 'take it on the LAM' to the arms of the Canadian Premier League!   

Jonathan Osorio is the only Canadian to see on field action in the four games that TFC have played this season.  

#getusedtoit    I don't see many minutes at all for Canadians this year until they scramble to put enough Canucks on the pitch for the Voyageurs Cup matches!

...while elsewhere so far this weekend LAFC had 2 CMNT players, the Impact had 2 with 1 subbing in, Vancouver had 3, and Orlando had 2, and of those 10 at least 5 were in TFC Academy or played for TFC at some point. Not as many as we would like but overall things are moving in the right direction, which is why it would be good to see the MLS development pathway organically tied into a new domestic pro league rather than being viewed as a rival to it.

47 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

it would be good to see the MLS development pathway organically tied into a new domestic pro league rather than being viewed as a rival to it.

I have no doubt we will see some MLS fringe or youth players on loan in CPL. Likewise I am sure the MLS club's will be happy to see more Canadians developed that they might scoop up.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...while elsewhere so far this weekend LAFC had 2 CMNT players, the Impact had 2 with 1 subbing in, Vancouver had 3, and Orlando had 2, and of those 10 at least 5 were in TFC Academy or played for TFC at some point. Not as many as we would like but overall things are moving in the right direction, which is why it would be good to see the MLS development pathway organically tied into a new domestic pro league rather than being viewed as a rival to it.

Rivals are ok..competition for talent is ok, being enemies is not ok.  Some sort of symbiotic relationship would help both sides.  Its not going to bother me when the Red river rangers have 3-4 former TFC academy kids on the roster.  And it wont bother me when TFC scoop the best CDN player in the CPL for a large transfer fee 2-3 years down the road.