CPL General

6 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Sounds like the Highlanders ownership aren't wealthy enough to do it all themselves in a Calgary Foothills sort of way:

...The Highlanders ownership, however, said it will concentrate on the Premier Development League level for now.

“We are totally aware of the new Canadian pro league, and if they are looking to come to Victoria, we would be open and co-operate,” Large said.

but a stadium build would be a huge boost for soccer although marked fieldturf with primary lines for rugby and secondary lines for soccer as the picture with the story seems to imply would not be ideal:

a2-0301-stadium2-bw-jpg.jpg

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Sounds like the Highlanders ownership aren't wealthy enough to do it all themselves in a Calgary Foothills sort of way:

...The Highlanders ownership, however, said it will concentrate on the Premier Development League level for now.

“We are totally aware of the new Canadian pro league, and if they are looking to come to Victoria, we would be open and co-operate,” Large said.

but a stadium build would be a huge boost for soccer although marked fieldturf with primary lines for rugby and secondary lines for soccer as the picture with the story seems to imply would not be ideal:

a2-0301-stadium2-bw-jpg.jpg

My got tells me that Victoria is in the CPL, and that the ownership is making it believe that they're not by playing head games. I've been told that many of these owners have been asked by the league not to give a direct answer as to their status in the CPL. Besides why would a PDL team expand a facility to 8,000 seats when the average PDL team draws a thousand a game. Com'on it's obvious that this smells like CPL to me.

Edited by PJSweet

Just now, PJSweet said:

My got tells me that Victoria is in the CPL, and that the ownership is making it believe that they're not by playing head games. I've been told that many of these owners have been asked by the league not to give a direct answer as to their status in the CPL. Besides why would a PDL team expand a facility to 8,000. Com'on it's obvious that this smell like CPL to me.

I just wonder what the intentions of playing head games is? 

On February 27, 2018 at 7:48 PM, CDNFootballer said:

Re the turf - Nexxfield (located in Quebec) is the portable turf type used by Rayo OKC (and the New York Cosmos last year) and the MLS's Montreal Impact games at the Big O. Would be an option for CPL clubs initially if they have a stadium with football lines on them that they need to address

The pitch at the Big O is not a surface that any credible soccer entity would want to utilize. It is despised!

Edited by dbailey62

5 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I just wonder what the intentions of playing head games is? 

The league have asked all these owners not to give direct answers such as: we're in the league and for this reason we're expanding the facility.

Edited by PJSweet

12 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

The league have asked all these owners not to give direct answers such as: we're in the league and for this reason we're expanding the facility.

.... and that is how it should be! The CPL can't have half-a-a dozen loose cannons shooting off in all directions!

2 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

The pitch at the Big O is not a surface that any credible soccer entity would want to utilize. It is despised!

I think the turf at the Big O is an older gen than the Gen II Pro type that Rayo OKC and New York Cosmos used.

Its artificial turf in the end but for situations that may occur like having to use a stadium like Wilfrid Laurier with non soccer lines on the turf its an option available and visually looks and performs better than the lined artificial turf it covers.

6 hours ago, PJSweet said:

Besides why would a PDL team expand a facility to 8,000 seats when the average PDL team draws a thousand a game. Com'on it's obvious that this smells like CPL to me.

Uhm, I think you need to read the article again. The Highlanders did NOT commit to playing in this stadium. They are interested IF it gets built.

I mean I'd love to move into a sweet little stadium like that but nothing has been confirmed.

10 hours ago, PJSweet said:

Halifax, K/W, Edmonton and Saskatoon didn't receive the memo, if that's the case, because there have been directly attributed quotes about CanPL entry from possible would be investors in each of those cities. This looks more like the Moncton scenario with some directly attributed quotes from local officialdom in a small market looking for a would be investor for a stadium that would be large enough to meet CanPL's stated requirements. The obvious question in each case would be whether the market is large enough to realistically attract 6000 to 8000 paid spectators per game or whether following on from that a modified business plan looking for something like 2500 to 3500 paid might be a better fit for where Canadian soccer is really at right now in the smaller markets that don't have CFL teams and expectations on that basis to be at D1 level.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The obvious question in each case would be whether the market is large enough to realistically attract 6000 to 8000 paid spectators per game or whether following on from that a modified business plan looking for something like 2500 to 3500 paid might be a better fit for where Canadian soccer is really at right now in the smaller markets that don't have CFL teams and expectations on that basis to be at D1 level.

Wait! Where did you get the 2500 to 3500 number from? Nothing that has ever come out of CPL or interested investors have ever used those numbers.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

New CPL independent news site, The CPL Hub, is up.  Looks mostly collection of links to other stuff but has an interview with Quillan Roberts.

http://thecanplhub.com/

I like it, but there is an issue of credibility.

Under "Staff" they list the league staff rather than the staff of the website. This is misleading at best and fraudulent at worst - unless this site is a disguised arm of the league itself. An independent site has no business publishing a directory of CanPL staff.

Under "About" it says almost nothing about who is running the site. If the creators of the site are not willing to be identified then the site cannot be trusted and I will not subscribe or "like".

Hopefully this can be fixed. At least one actual real-life person needs to be identified and it needs to be made clear the status of the site, is it a corporate site belonging to the CanPL or is it independent?

Just now, ted said:

Under "Staff" they list the league staff rather than the staff of the website. This is misleading at best and fraudulent at worst - unless this site is a disguised arm of the league itself. An independent site has no business publishing a directory of CanPL staff.

Under "About" it says almost nothing about who is running the site. If the creators of the site are not willing to be identified then the site cannot be trusted and I will not subscribe or "like".

Hopefully this can be fixed. At least one actual real-life person needs to be identified and it needs to be made clear the status of the site, is it a corporate site belonging to the CanPL or is it independent?

Yeah I saw this as well and thought it was weird.  To be fair in the about it says it's volunteer which indicates to me it's not official.  They had a confusing twitter account that looked way too official before they changed it.  I think they're well meaning but just making the some bad choices.  I don't like how they're using other's work without linking to the original source (not all but some don't have it).  I just look at it as a resource for stories I might miss along with the odd new thing (like the Q interview)

20 hours ago, Zem said:

Rayo OKC's pitch was atrocious as well

According to some, many who just hated Rayo OKC and didn't know the product.  It was an improvement on the lined turf it covered and worked well for the New York Cosmos at MCU Park as well, players and coach there were fine with it as well as artificial turf goes. Would be an improvement at Wilfrid Laurier also.

Is it the best artificial turf? No. Is it the worst? No. Again, its suited and is a good alternative for some stadiums that have certain types of non soccer lined turf and is an option in that circumstance if needed.

Edited by CDNFootballer

On 3/2/2018 at 2:57 PM, ted said:

All that aside, I think the thing that concerns me most is that a volunteer-run website looks ten times better/more professional than the *actual* CPL website. They league really needs to step up their game. 

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

All that aside, I think the thing that concerns me most is that a volunteer-run website looks ten times better/more professional than the *actual* CPL website. They league really needs to step up their game. 

The current league site is most likely a place holder until a major announcement in the near future.

Tweet and confirmed on LinkedIn the group Jim Brennan is with

Only other name is Preben Ganzhorn who has worked for TFC, Calloway and Carlsburg from Quick google search.

Seems like stuff might be coming down the pipeline. Lots of random tweets the last few days  proclaiming stuff but not from legit sources. 

Edited by Rheo

On 2018/03/04 at 7:15 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

The current league site is most likely a place holder until a major announcement in the near future.

...or further down the line when the Hamilton team actually has access to THF and pop-ups or stadium retrofits get sorted out in several of the other cities. Seriously doubt it's a case of 2019 or bust.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Big thing is where they would play, if 7000 seats with room for expansion is the floor as the Kitchner Record story suggested, because both the Ontario Soccer Centre and York U look like long shots, if that really is the requirement. Don't doubt it's legit, but maybe he is consulting on something that isn't too far along yet on PB's "spectrum of readiness"?