CPL General

Just now, gator said:

The stadium has 6000 permanent seats on 2 sides but easily expands to 12000!

I would play there the first few seasons try filling that place first and if you are able to do that then move to the bigger stadium, expand it to 12000 then buy turf with no football lines , I don’t know if those are permanent ones, fill that place first , make it a place were tickets are hard to come by then move to the bigger stadium , it’s a no brainer , start small and grow slowly that’s what MLS has been doing right no matter how we love to knock them and so far so good for them.

3 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I would play there the first few seasons try filling that place first and if you are able to do that then move to the bigger stadium, expand it to 12000 then buy turf with no football lines , I don’t know if those are permanent ones, fill that place first , make it a place were tickets are hard to come by then move to the bigger stadium , it’s a no brainer , start small and grow slowly that’s what MLS has been doing right no matter how we love to knock them and so far so good for them.

This dispute may force the team to play there and at the end of the day it could work out well in a more intimate setting, I'm not sure about the ability to remove gridiron lines at Ron Joyce Stadium!

No running track and sufficient space left on the wings for soccer:

image.thumb.png.5f32b094ce595cf2c10745bed8115d8c.png

would have been ideal back in the CSL era when university football stadia were all still grass. The tile system that Rayo Oklahoma used would be one way to address that in the present day, if the Ticats were willing to spend the money needed and they could negotiate a lease to cohabit with the McMaster football team and possible intramural use in the fall months. Suspect that last part would be no slam dunk at most universities.

11 minutes ago, grande said:

As much as I like playing at Mac due to the size of the stadium, I think one of the big reasons Bob Young wants this team is to get more usage out of Tim Hortons Field, because I think he's got a sweetheart deal with it.

Ya and Tim Hortons is the marquis venue. 

Latest article on the stadium problems.  

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/hamilton/stadium-not-finished-1.4551357

Edited by dbailey62

1 hour ago, grande said:

As much as I like playing at Mac due to the size of the stadium, I think one of the big reasons Bob Young wants this team is to get more usage out of Tim Hortons Field, because I think he's got a sweetheart deal with it.

The City of Hamilton claim that the sweethart deal expired when the Ticats were unable to come up with a pro soccer tenant in the required time frame by May 2016. Compounding things further they currently refuse to even negotiate over a lease for the pro soccer team because of the lawsuits related to the stadium build.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/hamilton/ticats-soccer-1.4247402

This is one of the reasons I suspect 2020 is more likely than 2019, because a lot still needs to be resolved on stadia in a number of cities and the window of time available to do it all in for an April 2019 launch to be viable is quickly closing. This segment in the CBC story linked in the message above could be relevant to how favourable the terms of access are likely to be in a CanPL context and could be a way to try to pressure the Ticats into dropping their litigation given they would probably want to be the ones controlling access to the stadium:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/hamilton/stadium-not-finished-1.4551357

...The city would consider stadium bookings to be part of Spectra's existing contract for the other two facilities, D'Angelo said, so no other companies would bid. That contract can then be extended in December for another five years.

Matthew Green, Ward 3 councillor, says this is the equivalent of privatizing the stadium.

"The booking is the key," he said. "It's the keys to the house. They're going to determine who gets what rooms and how, and that's problematic for me."

"I cannot for the life of me understand a business plan that would result in us paying Spectra $5,000 for the exclusive rights to book our $150 million stadium. It makes absolutely no sense."

The Ticats, under their 20-year licensing agreement with the city, have exclusive rights to book four non-football events a year. This year, that includes an Arkells concert in June.

That last bit also explains how the Benfica vs Rangers game that never happened could have been done through the Ticats as the press releases at the time seemed to imply despite the legal issues.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

No running track and sufficient space left on the wings for soccer:

image.thumb.png.5f32b094ce595cf2c10745bed8115d8c.png

would have been ideal back in the CSL era when university football stadia were all still grass. The tile system that Rayo Oklahoma used would be one way to address that in the present day, if the Ticats were willing to spend the money needed and they could negotiate a lease to cohabit with the McMaster football team and possible intramural use in the fall months. Suspect that last part would be no slam dunk at most universities.

Re the turf - Nexxfield (located in Quebec) is the portable turf type used by Rayo OKC (and the New York Cosmos last year) and the MLS's Montreal Impact games at the Big O. Would be an option for CPL clubs initially if they have a stadium with football lines on them that they need to address.

5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Re the turf - Nexxfield (located in Quebec) is the portable turf type used by Rayo OKC (and the New York Cosmos last year) and the MLS's Montreal Impact games at the Big O. Would be an option for CPL clubs initially if they have a stadium with football lines on them that they need to address.

How many hours (in and out) does the transition take and how many individuals are required to undertake this task?

In a rental situation i.e. Mac, the club would be on the hook for all labour plus the time the field would be unavailable for other purposes. Pre football season, you might be allowed to leave the pitch in place but once the fall arrives, the transition labour costs and payment for the time the field is unavailable could be considerable. 

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

the stadium issue is a Pi**ing contest related to other issues, and will likely be dropped when both sides get what they want from conversations not happening through the press...

Suspect that's the case in terms of the end game on both sides, but will that all happen in time for a 2019 launch when the possible delay of the league launch could provide some extra leverage? A lot depends on whether the other issues are more important to Bob Young than the soccer team is. Suspect the Ticats are happy for news about the league to keep rumbling along and are in no huge rush at this point given the original May 2016 lease deadline has long since passed and there is still a huge amount of work to do in other markets to have a stable 8-10 team league.

10 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Suspect that's the case in terms of the end game on both sides, but will that all happen in time for a 2019 launch when the possible delay of the league launch could provide some extra leverage? A lot depends on whether the other issues are more important to Bob Young than the soccer team is. Suspect the Ticats are happy for news about the league to keep rumbling along and are in no huge rush at this point given the original May 2016 lease deadline has long since passed and there is still a huge amount of work to do in other markets to have a stable 8-10 team league.

I wouldn't worry about Hamilton. It all seems quite manageable. 

18 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

How many hours (in and out) does the transition take and how many individuals are required to undertake this task?

In a rental situation i.e. Mac, the club would be on the hook for all labour plus the time the field would be unavailable for other purposes. Pre football season, you might be allowed to leave the pitch in place but once the fall arrives, the transition labour costs and payment for the time the field is unavailable could be considerable. 

Takes about 12 hours to put up and about half that to take down depending on manpower. Rayo OKC used to use about 8-12 people to do the job, much of the time the high school sports team players were supervised to do the job (Rayo played in 7K Miller high school stadium). The field itself was purchased for about 500K by the OKC NASL club if I remember correctly.

Edited by CDNFootballer

And Langford/Victoria news

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/for-langford-it-s-game-on-for-stadium-with-8-000-seats-1.23188068

-are expanding Westhills stadium from 1700 to 8000 and it's a done deal.  That is stands only, not other stadium improvements needed for the larger crowds

• “We have put money aside in our recreation fund and we work with the development community,” Young (the Mayor) said. “We move the red tape and bureaucracy out of the way.”

-mention the Foothills looking to it for international friendlies but no direct link to CPL

The Highlanders ownership, however, said it will concentrate on the Premier Development League level for now.

“We are totally aware of the new Canadian pro league, and if they are looking to come to Victoria, we would be open and co-operate,” Large said.

Edited by Rheo

Interesting article in the Kitchener Record that seems to be passing on the message that K/W won't be in at launch if it happens in 2019 and will need some sort of stadium build before getting in at some point further down the road.

https://www.therecord.com/sports-story/8291131-canadian-pro-soccer-league-still-high-on-region/

...Hamilton plans to play out of Tim Hortons Field (24,000 seats) while Winnipeg is expected to call Investors Group Field (about 33,000) home. The CPL doesn't expect every club to boast such grand stadiums but officials did mention a 7,000 seat capacity — with room to grow — as the floor.

The only option in Waterloo Region is Wilfrid Laurier's University Stadium, which can fit about 6,000 spectators but doesn't offer the necessary amenities for a professional team in its current state. There are no plans to build a new facility in the area at this time

That leaves soccer fans starved for a product, especially since top amateur club K-W United FC recently ended its affiliation with the Premier Development League after a five-year run....

It's not clear that the Wanderers Ground in Halifax provides 7000 with room to grow given some of the amendments that were tacked on by the ever so helpful Waye Mason that made a point of limiting the visual impact of the bleachers from a neighbouring park. You can pretty much forget the Ontario Soccer Centre as a York Region venue if 7000 seats are required and even Clarke Stadium in Edmonton is too small as currently configured given it only seats 5000, so where exactly do they expect to find 8-10 of these types of stadia by April 2019 if that really is the floor? Wilfrid Laurier was a prime example of the sort of university stadium that Nexxfield turf could have made viable to get things rolling in some of the smaller cities (if intramurals access and university sports in the Fall didn't make it a non-starter). This all sounds a bit different from the narrative Paul Beirne was peddling last summer about expansion to include teams in small markets like Kelowna w/ Penticton and sounds more like the soccer version of the CFL scenario that Duane Rollins used to peddle.

1 minute ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Woopz my bad! I didn't see your psot

No worries lol.  It's easy to skip posts with there being so much.  I know BBTB has me blocked and he posted the Kitchener link.  Just thought it was funny

Edited by Rheo

In the Kitchener link. "That leaves soccer fans starved for a product, especially since top amateur club K-W United FC recently ended its affiliation with the Premier Development League after a five-year run."

I don't remember hearing about them not being in the PDL anymore. Are they going to play anywhere? I tried looking for the KW thread but couldn't find it (I swear there is one though, right? I just double checked and managed to find K-W United 2015). I was disappointed when they didn't join L1O, is that a possibility for them now? Some fans said the last time the L1O thing came up mentioned that they are aiming higher (CPL), but it seems they aren't ready for that yet, and are maybe skipping the season all together too?

So FC Edmonton and K-W United both sitting out 2018? I sure hope I see some CPL team announcements soon, because this is trending in the wrong direction.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

I don't remember hearing about them not being in the PDL anymore. Are they going to play anywhere? I tried looking for the KW thread but couldn't find it (I swear there is one though, right? I just double checked and managed to find K-W United 2015). I was disappointed when they didn't join L1O, is that a possibility for them now? Some fans said the last time the L1O thing came up mentioned that they are aiming higher (CPL), but it seems they aren't ready for that yet, and are maybe skipping the season all together too?

I asked one of the GRU guys on Twitter a few weeks when I was looking them up and found out then.  It wasn't really announced or elaborated on in public.  Caught me by surprise as well.  Can't remember what exactly was said about it at the time to me.  Did a quick look on my Twitter and can't find it.

I've never really had K-W on my list of likely candidates. I'm not sure where exactly I got that from, but I think it was an interview with Barry a while back when it was clear he was still looking for investors and he clearly needed them to move forward. Since I had never heard anything, they were never serious contenders to launch in my mind.

My list has always been...

-Hamilton

-Winnipeg

-Halifax

...after that it's obviously a little harder but...

-somewhere in the GTA (from various interviews and Brennan etc. I think something has been kept under our radar)

-BCFC (no stadium, but there are a few options for them to start)

-Calgary Foothills (I think they teamed up with an investor early and are fully on board...the stadium situation is puzzling)

...that was my six and now that there is an extra year, my launch includes.

-Saskatchewan (in Saskatoon with Belan and co. I believe there's a plan at Praireland exhibition grounds if they can't build right away)

-FC Edmonton (I think they wanted to, they just wanted more support...I don't know if they're getting it in the 40 day deadline, but you can tell there's an urgency to it now.)

-Ottawa Fury (I think they had to be careful what they said not knowing when launch was happening etc. leaving another league)

-I really don't know if there's a Quebec, but I hope so. It seems like there were at least talks from there.

Having said all that, I do think there has to be a push from investors and league a like to launch the year after the World Cup and use that as their launching pad. I do believe there will be a lot more urgency in the next little while. Although @BringBackTheBlizzard I'm not as confident in the bet of launching 2019 as I once was. You should've taken me up on that.