CPL General

The rabbit does have something to do with FC Edmonton, but I am not speculating anything about that tweet.

As for Ottawa, it just occurred to me that it would be an interesting situation. Didn’t Easton mention something about finding a way to allocate players early on? But it would hardly seem fair if there was some sort of an expansion draft where Ottawa players can be taken away from them. Do they get to build their team however they want and keep it for next year in the CPL? Or maybe if there is a salary cap that is the only restriction on them (and domestic player quota of course).

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

The rabbit does have something to do with FC Edmonton, but I am not speculating anything about that tweet.

As for Ottawa, it just occurred to me that it would be an interesting situation. Didn’t Easton mention something about finding a way to allocate players early on? But it would hardly seem fair if there was some sort of an expansion draft where Ottawa players can be taken away from them. Do they get to build their team however they want and keep it for next year in the CPL? Or maybe if there is a salary cap that is the only restriction on them (and domestic player quota of course).

I can't see the league kicking things off by hamstringing the plans of a team that most would probably see as a potential key market/member at launch. And CPL wouldn't really have any levers to insist on an expansion draft that involved poaching Ottawa players once the Fury are (and could continue to be) in an entirely different league.  I see this as good business by Ottawa, recognizing that if their future is in CPL, they (and to a lesser extent Edmonton) are uniquely positioned to take steps to be strong right out of the gates.

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

The players' contracts, even if they are more than a year long, would be annulled by the move to a new league because their current contracts are tied to the USL. So it probably wouldn't be a problem, and even if there isn't some kind of draft the other clubs could easily compete with Ottawa financially.

But yeah, regardless I just hope we don't get roped into losing Carl, Jamar or Eddie if there is a draft.

Edited by Zem

11 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I'll bet anyone here $100 Ottawa Fury are a CPL team in 2019.

Always mystified why anyone would want to do something like that on an internet forum. Guess it's just a way of proclaiming your blind faith like yelling out Hallelujah in a church. There has been a possible recent indication from Ottawa that they are very happy where they are and may be in no rush to change leagues, and a lot probably needs to happen very quickly on stadium build approvals for 2019 to be viable from a venue standpoint, so I would have phrased that bet somewhat differently, if I was looking to accumulate some additional wealth.

A team in Victoria is an exciting thought! I will be moving back there in the summer of 2019 and that would be perfectly timed.

In terms of the benefits to the National team program, I can see a small example here in Oman. They have a professional league that is propped up somewhat, but it has 14 teams and most of the national team players play in it. They are regularly competitive in qualifying and won the Gulf Cup (albeit Saudi B was the best competition). I just hope the league will withstand the inevitable growing pains. 

9 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Seriously, I live near Ottawa and attend Fury games regularly. I'm literally just waiting for them to sign someone like Wandrille Lefèvre or Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé (or former TFC or VWFC equivalent), which will officially signal to the rest of the CanPL that Ottawa intends to bury them on day 1. 

Didn't Lefevre retire?

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Always mystified why anyone would want to do something like that on an internet forum. Guess it's just a way of proclaiming your blind faith like yelling out Hallelujah in a church...if I was looking to accumulate some additional wealth.

That reminds me. My bet offer to you still stands...but this will be the third and final offer I'm afraid. I say they start 2019, like they have official claimed they would. You seem confident it's unlikely they can get it done in time. Let's put a friendly wager on this. It's possible you're not seeing these as you may have blocked me or something. I'm not sure why, but I guess it's possible. A "no thanks" would also work, however the more you avoid this the more it appears to me that you are just playing devil's advocate and baby trolling as opposed to believe the stuff you say. What I'm saying is that your silence with this bet offer says a lot...very loudly :)

16 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I'll bet anyone here $100 Ottawa Fury are a CPL team in 2019.

Too many of these CanCon pick ups smell fishy. 

There has to be one of you willing to put your money where your mouth is.

The bet is simple: If Ottawa Fury play in the CPL in 2019 I get your $100, if they don't I'll send you $100. Personal details for sending the cash can be hashed out either through DMs or a third person on here for the especially paranoid.

Anyone interested?

I'll take that action. I think the CPL will start 2019, but for some reason, I don't see Ottawa being Year 1...

55 minutes ago, LAK said:

That reminds me. My bet offer to you still stands...but this will be the third and final offer I'm afraid. I say they start 2019, like they have official claimed they would. You seem confident it's unlikely they can get it done in time. Let's put a friendly wager on this. It's possible you're not seeing these as you may have blocked me or something. I'm not sure why, but I guess it's possible. A "no thanks" would also work, however the more you avoid this the more it appears to me that you are just playing devil's advocate and baby trolling as opposed to believe the stuff you say. What I'm saying is that your silence with this bet offer says a lot...very loudly :)

Do you understand that I want to see more pro soccer in Canada and am posting here because I have followed this issue closely for around 30 years as a hardcore fan of the sport? Do you understand that I very much want to be able to watch a coast-to-coast sort of level pro team playing in London, Ontario again having been able to do so in the 1990 and 1992 seasons of the CSL? The closest that came to happening was with FC London and USL Pro but the CSA placed a moratorium blocking that. Roll on this CanPL thing reaching resolution one way or the other, so the sport can finally move on from the lost decade that followed the moratorium. I'll be happy when there are a lot more pro teams operating in Canada than there are now and don't hugely care whether the Fury are in the NASL, USL or CanPL just as long as the league and franchises are stable and our sport is moving in the right direction.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

6 minutes ago, Alex D said:

Did the moratorium actually stop London from going "pro" or did it just not come together? Ottawa seemed to get past that pesky moratorium somehow. 

I think the sequence of events for Ottawa was.

Ottawa granted franchise.
Moratorium.
Ottawa begins playing games (probably even several years later).

53 minutes ago, Alex D said:

Did the moratorium actually stop London from going "pro" or did it just not come together? Ottawa seemed to get past that pesky moratorium somehow. 

No it didn't. It delayed when it could have happened (moratorium ended in September 2011) but didn't killed it itself. Ottawa got in prior

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Roy Singh has been trying to launch this for many years now. I believe that the official Canadian cricket sanctioning body is not on board with what he's doing and someone had dug some dirt up on the guy from his past. Something about some fraud charges. He addressed it, but it still left a bad taste in some folks mouths. His plan for the stadium has changed a bunch of times as well.

Here's an article from 2013 when he was looking at Brampton as the location for his $200 million indoor cricket stadium to be used by the entire league.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/4150404-businessman-hopes-to-build-35-000-seat-pro-cricket-stadium-here/

4 hours ago, Rheo said:

"Moreover, cricket was Canada’s official sport more than 150 years ago before it was dethroned by NHL. And the sport’s governing body -- the Canadian Cricket Association -- was set up in 1892."

Wow, lots wrong with this part. NHL is a league, not a sport. The national sport since Canada became a country is lacrosse, and in 1994 hockey became the national winter sport.

I also like to picture Emperor Palpatine saying this line "The fully operational Canadian Premier League will have 27 matches every season."

Also, quite the concept having a national league that plays all of it's games in one location. I guess I wish the guy luck, but this seems pretty bizarre.