CPL General

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Why are you starting an imaginary turf wars with CPL, MLS and CSA?  CSA will (hypothetically before the anti-CSA types start pointing out things lol) do what's best for the game in Canada and its members which include the MLS teams.  

The 2017 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final was played on September 20th. Just suggesting we do the same for Canada and have both trophies (V cup and CPL cup) be awarded as close as possible.

There's no imaginary turf war, both cups being awarded within a month would be best in my opinion

Edited by Ansem

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

The 2017 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final was played on September 20th. Just suggesting we do the same for Canada and have both trophies (V cup and CPL cup) be awarded as close as possible.

There's no imaginary turf war, both cups being awarded within a month would be best in my opinion

You have your opinion true but you've also created an fictional situation where the CSA would move the tournament to the where you think it's best and in your fictional scenario basically threatening the MLS clubs if they disagree as dbailey has pointed out they might.  Imaginary turf war might be the wrong term but I can't see the CSA making a major change like that unilaterally, consulting with all interested parties.

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

You have your opinion true but you've also created an fictional situation where the CSA would move the tournament to the where you think it's best and in your fictional scenario basically threatening the MLS clubs if they disagree as dbailey has pointed out they might. 

100% overthinking this

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

Imaginary turf war might be the wrong term but I can't see the CSA making a major change like that unilaterally, consulting with all interested parties.

Definitely the wrong term. A September final would put them on equal term with US clubs in the US Cup.

Also, teams not making the MLS Playoffs but still in contention for the V Cup near the end of the season would be happy to have something to fight for near the end of the season.

An opportunity to hype both trophies.

I see lots of positive in moving the V Cup closer to the CPL cup, the 2 top soccer trophies in Canada being awarded within less than a month apart could create that soccer vibe in the country.

no need to overthink this

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

...Without relegation, the no playoff structure kinda falls flat

That's an understatement. There would be scope for every game after the halfway point to be almost completely meaningless if a dominant 86ers type franchise emerged again (which by the sounds of things might happen as they don't appear to have drafts and single entity in mind) and that's not good from a ticket sales standpoint.  A nail-biting playoff race to keep the long regular season relevant to as many teams as possible all the way down to the wire as many seasons as possible is an absolute must in any North American sports league to maintain fan interest in the absence of relegation, but Bob Young and co will be well aware of that, so I seriously doubt the no playoffs and single table champion format is something they would ever do. There would almost certainly be playoffs probably around a month earlier than MLS and the CFL for climate and media exposure reasons and the Voyageurs Cup would still be in the late spring and early summer months given warm evenings are a good time to get families out on weeknights.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Ahhhh that makes more sense.  Don't mind me just used to seeing people knowing more than I do and hinting so automatically made the assumption of a new one lol

There is very little to know at this point.  Anyone claiming otherwise that isn't, say, Paul Beirne is probably full of crap. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

They're likely going to be moving the cup final at some point as they keep changing it around so wouldn't be shocked if it ends up in August or September. I don't think the move does anything special for the CPL or MLS. I personally don't think it should be moved to after the CPL season ends because that makes the VCup the bigger event than the CPL and there's also no lock on a CPL team even being in the final.

Edited by matty

36 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...Without relegation, the no playoff structure kinda falls flat

It certainly might feel more than a little flat. Especially if say Ottawa are one of the founders, I can't see any start up team matching them for personnel. The league might be over quite quick in the season then whats left to play for?

Depending on the way the V cup is set up maybe there are byes for the higher placed teams, obviously money wise league position could be incentivized, exciting for fans, not so much. We are not sure how many teams are starting and how many games per-season are we? Ages ago I thought about the idea of playing each other 3 times. I am too lazy to do the math to see if that is viable timeline wise April to Oct. If it was maybe the final league positions could also be fighting for getting the home rubber match out of each 3 every year. I like the idea of 3 matches as it gives a bit of a better chance to create some rivalry best out of 3. Would have to have a lottery for the first year though. 

Being honest though for the first year everyone will be so excited to have it happening they won't care so much. Going forward it will be a challenge until promotion/relegation. 

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

http://www.highlandersfc.ca/news/highlanders-announce-apparel-partnership-with-macr

"Victoria Highlanders FC return to Premier Development League action beginning May 11, 2018. The club will announce further developments in the coming weeks. " 

Well if (please note I did say if) they are going CPL that could be the giveaway of each team allowed to find it's own supplier which would be good.

15 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

http://www.highlandersfc.ca/news/highlanders-announce-apparel-partnership-with-macr

"Victoria Highlanders FC return to Premier Development League action beginning May 11, 2018. The club will announce further developments in the coming weeks. " 

Highlanders were always aiming for a proper pro league. IIRC the NASL was their goal in 2013/14. Fingers crossed they're CPL. Always made a bit more sense to me for the BC team than Surrey for the first team.

Edited by matty

I'll bet anyone here $100 Ottawa Fury are a CPL team in 2019.

Too many of these CanCon pick ups smell fishy. 

There has to be one of you willing to put your money where your mouth is.

The bet is simple: If Ottawa Fury play in the CPL in 2019 I get your $100, if they don't I'll send you $100. Personal details for sending the cash can be hashed out either through DMs or a third person on here for the especially paranoid.

Anyone interested?

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

"The CPL has been cancelled because OFFC took all the fucking CanCon."

Seriously, I live near Ottawa and attend Fury games regularly. I'm literally just waiting for them to sign someone like Wandrille Lefèvre or Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé (or former TFC or VWFC equivalent), which will officially signal to the rest of the CanPL that Ottawa intends to bury them on day 1.