CPL General

34 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Not sure why I didn't think of this when talking about it yesterday but I'm guessing we won't get any official news for the next couple of weeks.  They probably don't want anything getting buried with the Olympics going on

I don’t know, they dropped news a couple days after the Herdman story broke. That’s been one of the biggest stories in Canadian soccer for years.

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don’t know, they dropped news a couple days after the Herdman story broke. That’s been one of the biggest stories in Canadian soccer for years.

Don't you remember, the CSA forced them to hold off on announcing the news so that they could distract all us simpletons from Herdman and it would die and go away *insert X-Files conspiracy theme music here*

3 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

I'm sure the club, if there is one, will choose the best person available for the job. For me, none of those four would be suitable unless they have achieved all their coaching certifications. 

I agree with this. I'd rather they look somewhere like PLSQ (or anything equivalent or higher) for a successful coach than just hiring a player that is just hanging up their boots. 

24 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Lessons Down Under: The Canadian Premier League can learn from Australia

https://www.wakingthered.com/2018/2...rom-australia-aleague-cpl-canpl-canada-soccer

Said for a while A-League should be the league we most look at after MLS.

I agree with a lot of what is said and to beat my dead horse "...The A-League also has some serious flaws, though. To begin with, its only broadcast deal until 2012 was with a specialty channel that not much of the country has access to." This is my beIN Sports issue lol

I also value the writer addressing the fact no play-offs means the lack of boosted attendance and attention on a final and the risk of aggressive expansion. Nice to see a writer bring up some of the questionable moves the CPL is seemingly doing.

Edited by matty

14 minutes ago, matty said:

I also value the writer addressing the fact no play-offs means the lack of boosted attendance and attention on a final and the risk of aggressive expansion. Nice to see a writer bring up some of the questionable moves the CPL is seemingly doing.

I could see the league coming up with a "League Cup" tournament with the final being in a major stadium?

Winner goes to CONCACAF League?

19 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I could see the league coming up with a "League Cup" tournament with the final being in a major stadium?

Winner goes to CONCACAF League?

I don't personally, I think it would be seen as unimportant because of both the league title and Canadian Championship and would lack a great deal of interest from media too. I think it doesn't have as much potential as play-offs

They seem to want to do something experimental and it's a big question about how the hell it will work and it's nice to see them not go unchecked on it.

Edited by matty

7 minutes ago, matty said:

They seem to want to do something experimental and it's a big question about how the hell it will work and it's nice to see them not go unchecked on it.

I find it funny that standard world soccer format (ie no playoffs, just table) the CPL is talking about utilizing is considered experimental.  And yeah I know it's not standard here (unless I'm misreading what you're saying Matty)

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I find it funny that standard world soccer format (ie no playoffs, just table) the CPL is talking about utilizing is considered experimental.  And yeah I know it's not standard here (unless I'm misreading what you're saying Matty)

Single table with no pro/rel or play-off is not a standard and also not having play-off is not a world standard. This set up should be seen as an experiment

Edited by matty

I personally don't have an issue with no playoffs without pro/rel.  But the reality is we don't know for sure what they're planning and when it's would be implemented.  Some of the stuff they speak about is long term (ie pro/rel) goal/plan and the table  as league champ could be the same.  All the "fun" of the wait I guess lol

Edited by Rheo

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

I personally don't have an issue with no playoffs without pro/rel.  But the reality is we don't know for sure what they're planning and when it's would be implemented.  Some of the stuff they speak about is long term (ie pro/rel) goal/plan and the table  as league champ could be the same.  All the "fun" of the wait I guess lol

That's fine, I just find it an incredible weird thing to do especially if investigating pro/rel is years or decades away, I'm hopeful that is just a fantasy right now and they stick to, the incredibly common in soccer of the Americas, play-off to decide a champ. And we don't know but they're starting to drop stuff and some of it is weird. 

Something I found after a little bit of digging after reading the waking the red article. According to wikipedia the A-League salary cap in its first season was 1.5 million. That was 13 years of inflation ago and no doubt Australian dollars, but I couldn't help but notice it was the same as the most commonly repeated guess for the CPL. It has grown at a decent clip too.

The chart here has the numbers for each season, also with minimum salary for the last 5 seasons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-League#Squad_formation_and_salary_cap

1 minute ago, matty said:

That's fine, I just find it an incredible weird thing to do especially if investigating pro/rel is years or decades away, I'm hopeful that is just a fantasy right now and they stick to, the incredibly common in soccer of the Americas, play-off to decide a champ. And we don't know but they're starting to drop stuff and some of it is weird. 

Like I said a couple of posts ago, just part of the "fun" of waiting to see what the format will actually be. 

The only thing I know is that when everything is official and we know all the details I'm sure that no one will be happy with everything (except me most likely lol).  Some will hate a draft, others would pine for it if it's not there.  Some will want table, some will want playoffs.  Some will hate turf, some won't care.  Some will want more foreigners, some will want more Canadians.  These and a million others things I'm sure.  

None of it seems weird to me though.  My personal belief is that the people involved are a hell of a lot smarter than I am when it comes to all this stuff and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now until I see how it plays out in reality

36 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If there are no playoffs and no cup play with the cup final being the last game played. I think it would be a serious mistake.

Without relegation, the no playoff structure kinda falls flat

Oh, they'll be playin for a cup....