CPL General

3 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Jaime what are your thoughts on a CPL news thread? Where only links to articles, video and audio are posted? With expressly clear instructions which state opinion and speculation will deleted?

I like the idea but worry about the upkeep of keeping comments and speculation off the thread.  I fear it would be a crap load of work 

26 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I like the idea but worry about the upkeep of keeping comments and speculation off the thread.  I fear it would be a crap load of work 

I like the idea too but what you say is true as I know from my days as Blizzard when I moderated over at Big Soccer. I didn't have a nervous breakdown but my blood pressure became a concern!

Not a big deal Jamie, was just trying to have fun.  Just used to all the secrets and stuff CPL wise lol.  

Speaking of the CPL, wonder if we get another news drop today?  I know in the Loyal Company of River Valley pod, the hosts mentioned having met some of the CPL staff and hearing about March/April for the start of the teams being named (insert @Gopherbashiand the 60-90 days joke)

Am I wrong or have we heard a few different answers about when teams will be announced? I thought Clanachan had said 6-8 weeks shortly after he was announced as the commissioner, but of course I can't find that quote now. I don't think it was clear if that was when they would start being announced or if they would all be announced in that timeline. I'm pretty sure I have also heard that all the teams will be announced by March, with it not being clear if that meant March 1st or March 31st. I think I have also heard by May.

Am I crazy or have we had an inconsistent message given to us about this?

Since we are all going to be waiting around for this announcement. So far the announcements have come at

Easton - 2:42pm (all times Eastern)
Beirne - 9:53am
Clanachan - 10:49am

Edited by Kent
Twitter has a bug

@KentDo you mean Western time?  Just remember because I was in the bar watching BPL last week when the Easton news dropped and that would of been 2:30-3 pm area.

As for the timing of the team announcements, I wouldn't call it inconsistent.  It's just their usual vagueness, I assume to cover their asses in case something drastic comes up.  Basically it's coming and soon, and we'll let you know when we're ready, hence the six to eight week jokes. 

They're controlling the when, where, what's etc of the news.  If I've learned anything from following this roll out is that until we hear it from them it's not official.  Hell, I think the Easton move was the first thing that I can remember where a media member had it before the official proclamation from the league.  And even then there wasn't much of a difference between Sandor Tweeting it and the official press release (less than an hour I believe)

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, HfxCeltic said:

Hearing directly from SEA that there should be some "good news" re: CPL next week and then around the Halifax proposal in February/March.

Got this info directly from SEA. The "good news" item was the Clanachan announcement and was accurate in terms of the "CPL next week" timeline. They noted a Halifax specific announcement in Feb/March, so assume that would be the franchise announcement. I think they would roll out other franchise announcements within the same period.

Edited by HfxCeltic

28 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Do you mean Western time?  Just remember because I was in the bar watching BPL last week when the Easton news dropped and that would of been 2:30-3 pm area.

I grabbed those times from the earliest tweets of the announcements from the CPLsoccer twitter feed. The Easton one is listed as 11:42am, and I assume that is Eastern time since that's what my clock is set to on my computer.

And now that I paste it in here it lists it as 2:42pm. That's a bit messed up. When I view it as a webpage it says 11:42, and when I paste the same link in here it says 2:42pm. I was a bit surprised it was that early in the day because I had thought that it was in the afternoon as well, but I figured I was just a bit late to the news that day (I don't actually use twitter, so I typically go off of reading this forum). So yeah, probably my times are all off by 3 hours then, or completely random. I'll assume they are off by 3 and correct them.

I just remember because I had to stream the game I wanted to see on my phone because it wasn't on TV and I was pissed CPL would drop news during the game lol.  Just checked the Commish thread and it was started at 10:53 so that one is in line and I seem to recall the PB news around that time you had.  Really weird the time difference on just that one tweet.  Anyways not a big deal.  Curious and hopeful that we get something more today to chew on.

25 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I just remember because I had to stream the game I wanted to see on my phone because it wasn't on TV and I was pissed CPL would drop news during the game lol.  Just checked the Commish thread and it was started at 10:53 so that one is in line and I seem to recall the PB news around that time you had.  Really weird the time difference on just that one tweet.  Anyways not a big deal.  Curious and hopeful that we get something more today to chew on.

I think all three times were off. I updated them before this comment I'm quoting above. So originally I had the Clanachan announcement as 7:49, and I corrected it to 10:49.

Maybe twitter isn't smart enough to know what timezone to use if the person loading the tweet doesn't have an account.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Am I wrong or have we heard a few different answers about when teams will be announced?

• "the CPL’s stakeholders look to plant seeds in eight to 10 markets Clanachan plans to begin awarding franchises to by the end of next month."

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/if-not-us-who-else-david-clanachan-named-cpl-commissioner-as-league-reveals-start-date

• "Clanachan confirmed fans can expect new club announcements to begin next month."

https://www.wakingthered.com/2018/1/12/16882202/canadian-premier-league-cpl-welcome-news-in-turbulent-week-for-canada-soccer

• "Winnipeg and Hamilton are the only two announced entries to date but the league says news of other franchises will follow in the coming months."

https://www.tsn.ca/clanachan-named-commissioner-of-canadian-premier-league-1.964154

Basically the same slightly non-committal 60-90 day timeline. So we should start hearing teams imminently. I thought I had read somewhere they wanted to do timed announcements so all the teams were announced by April. Think that is maybe in my head though. 

Can we talk about where the referees would come from? Would they be using the ones from PRO? Just need an overall understanding of the overall system.

Also, are Canadian referees required to officiate in FIFA sanctioned Canadian list to be part of the FIFA list and potentially go to the World Cup or this has nothing to do with it?

As you can tell, I don't know much about this and would appreciate some clarification on the matter.

10 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Can we talk about where the referees would come from? Would they be using the ones from PRO? Just need an overall understanding of the overall system.

Also, are Canadian referees required to officiate in FIFA sanctioned Canadian list to be part of the FIFA list and potentially go to the World Cup or this has nothing to do with it?

As you can tell, I don't know much about this and would appreciate some clarification on the matter.

Nobody knows, they haven't said anything specific for details on this other than they want to grow the "soccer economy" in the country and that includes referees. More in the Sandor interview https://the11.ca/canpl-v-p-james-easton-talks-about-how-rosters-will-be-built-and-competition-will-be-shaped/

47 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Nobody knows, they haven't said anything specific for details on this other than they want to grow the "soccer economy" in the country and that includes referees. More in the Sandor interview https://the11.ca/canpl-v-p-james-easton-talks-about-how-rosters-will-be-built-and-competition-will-be-shaped/

I would assume we are using the most experienced officials the CSA has on their books both at the FIFA level and below just as was done in the late 80's/early 90's in the original CSL.  

Here is a press release from 2016 listing their top level officials. I'm sure we would see an overlap of some of the officials we have seen in MLS such as Gantar, Fischer and Petrescu to name three, depending on scheduling of course. 

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canadian-officials-appointed-to-2016-fifa-list-of-referees-and-assistant-referees-p159021

Edited by dbailey62

24 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

I would assume we are using the most experienced officials the CSA has on their books both at the FIFA level and below Just as was done in the late 80's/early 90's in the original CSL.  

Here is a press release from 2016 listing their top level officials. I'm sure we would see an overlap of some of the officials we have seen in MLS such as Gantar, Fischer and Petrescu to name three, depending on scheduling of course. 

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canadian-officials-appointed-to-2016-fifa-list-of-referees-and-assistant-referees-p159021

Correct me if I am wrong, but we have some awesome female refs that have officiated World Cup and Olympic games. If they're not included, I'll be pissed. 

45 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but we have some awesome female refs that have officiated World Cup and Olympic games. If they're not included, I'll be pissed. 

Carol-Anne Chenard and Marie-Soleil Beaudoin have officiated a fair number of Ottawa Fury games over the years and Michelle Pye has served as a linesman as well I believe. I think most if not all of the female referees on the FIFA list have at least officiated a bit in the NASL or USL and I would tend to assume most would be on the CPL list.

Beaudoin was often quite shaky but is also relatively young and inexperienced. Chenard on the other hand is honestly one of the best referees I've seen in the NASL and USL, bar none.

1 hour ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I believe MLS has two female assistant refs currently and there were a few in the 90s but no woman has served as a head in top tier American or Canadian soccer since like 2001 or something. Would be nice to see that era end as there are some solid female refs. Hope the CPL is open to ending this era in Canada.

16 hours ago, matty said:

I believe MLS has two female assistant refs currently and there were a few in the 90s but no woman has served as a head in top tier American or Canadian soccer since like 2001 or something. Would be nice to see that era end as there are some solid female refs. Hope the CPL is open to ending this era in Canada.

"...because it's 2015" 

Yeah, it's beyond time that females are included in the top levels of the pro game. I honestly hope that, if Patrice Bernier or Olivier Occéan are not available, that Josée Bélanger or Marie-Eve Nault get a shot at coaching the CanPL team in Québec. 

35 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

"...because it's 2015" 

Yeah, it's beyond time that females are included in the top levels of the pro game. I honestly hope that, if Patrice Bernier or Olivier Occéan are not available, that Josée Bélanger or Marie-Eve Nault get a shot at coaching the CanPL team in Québec. 

I'm sure the club, if there is one, will choose the best person available for the job. For me, none of those four would be suitable unless they have achieved all their coaching certifications.