CPL General

Never been clear why they haven't been granting provisional franchises starting with Halifax last summer. Suspect the protocol might be that it has to be announced through the CSA at an AGM in the same way as Hamilton and Winnipeg when they were admitted into membership of the national association.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Never been clear why they haven't been granting provisional franchises starting with Halifax last summer. Suspect the protocol might be that it has to be announced through the CSA at an AGM in the same way as Hamilton and Winnipeg when they were admitted into membership of the national association.

Perhaps they have but why should they release that information to us if it is not written in stone. If a provisional club should drop out, that would be seen to be a black eye for the league. It makes much more sense to wait until member clubs are confirmed.

Then you wind up with this in media stories:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3800718/surrey-pro-soccer-team-stadium/

...The league is aiming for a 2018 kickoff, but as of yet, just two teams have been confirmed: Hamilton and Winnipeg...

when you could have something a lot more upbeat sounding. With provisional franchises you can raise the profile in the market in question by running name the team contests, taking deposits on season tickets...

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Then you wind up with this in media stories:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3800718/surrey-pro-soccer-team-stadium/

...The league is aiming for a 2018 kickoff, but as of yet, just two teams have been confirmed: Hamilton and Winnipeg...

when you could have something a lot more upbeat sounding. With provisional franchises you can raise the profile in the market in question by running name the team contests, taking deposits on season tickets...

... and as I said and I repeat, if one or two or three of those "provisional" clubs pull out for one reason or another, the league looks like its in decline before it has even started. How upbeat does that sound to you?

A couple of pages back you were confident they would have 8-10 for 2019. Now you think they are holding off on announcing cities provisionally because 2 or 3 might drop out. There doesn't seem to be a consistent train of thought involved in those two lines of argument. If the latter explains their reticence on making too many big announcements and ramping up front office activity in the propspective markets despite there only being 14 months to go to the stated launch date, and FC Edmonton and the Ottawa Fury are not sold on it, a 2019 launch is a long shot at best and they are still in search for investors mode.

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

A couple of pages back you were confident they would have 8-10 for 2019. Now you think they are holding off on announcing cities provisionally because 2 or 3 might drop out. There doesn't seem to be a consistent train of thought involved in those two lines of argument. If the latter explains their reticence on making too many big announcements and ramping up front office activity in the propspective markets, and FC Edmonton and the Ottawa Fury are not sold on it, a 2019 launch is a long shot at best and they are still in search for investors mode.

"I think this will happen, but it's possible this other thing might happen" has nothing to do with consistency; it's about recognising that we don't have all the information, we can't predict the future, and it's wise to plan that things may not go according to plan.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...a 2019 launch is a long shot at best and they are still in search for investors mode.

What about a wager on a 2019 launch? Are you a gambling person? Cuz, I would love to bet that they do launch in 2019. What do you say? Are you in?

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...a 2019 launch is a long shot at best and they are still in search for investors mode.

A long shot at best which is officially set to launch in 2019. That makes total fucking sense. Like fucking shit just stop with your interpretations when there are official press releases that say things like why do you do this? It fucking kills all your comments when you do this shit and is why people think you hate this fucking league

Edited by matty

16 minutes ago, matty said:

A long shot at best which is officially set to launch in 2019....

You appear to have learned nothing from the "original six" episode and the PDF from Halifax. They've done remarkably well to push things along as far as they have with no MLS B team or ex-NASL involvement. Think some of you don't grasp how difficult it is to put together what they are trying to achieve.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

You appear to have learned nothing from the "original six" episode and the PDF from Halifax.

That was a leaked memo that was backed tracked on and also came from a single team. A leak like that and an official statement are very different things. If you didn't know that stop commenting.

Edited by matty

The statements about 2019 have had weasel words from what I have seen. They haven't been categorical about it.

What they said:

http://canpl.ca/article/david-clanachan-named-first-commissioner-of-cpl

Canada’s highly anticipated professional men’s soccer league is set to debut in spring 2019.

What they didn't say:

Canada’s highly anticipated professional men’s soccer league will debut in spring 2019.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The statements about 2019 have had weasel words from what I have seen. They haven't been categorical about it.

What they said:

http://canpl.ca/article/david-clanachan-named-first-commissioner-of-cpl

Canada’s highly anticipated professional men’s soccer league is set to debut in spring 2019.

What they didn't say:

Canada’s highly anticipated professional men’s soccer league will debut in spring 2019.

IS SET TO means WILL. Look it up in basically every fucking dictionary

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/set-to_1 - to start doing something in a determined or enthusiastic way

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/set-to - to begin actively and earnestly

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/set+to - To begin working energetically; start in.

I'm done you want to ignore shit go ahead. Barring a fuck up they're on the record

Edited by matty

I remember Matty getting all upset on here about the "original six" amounting to a lie when the wording used there also had weasel words and wasn't in any way categorical. An ability to spot the weasel words in the press releases is fundamental to understanding what is actually happening. If they meant "will happen" they would have used that phraseology. "Set to" means something appears to be about to happen but doesn't imply that it categorically will happen.

21 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

This is literally the dumbest fucking argument we've had for the last five pages.

I literally agree and I'm sorry for my part in it. We are at a point where we've been told with great confidence by the league that 2019 Spring is when things are set to go off and the fact it's not seen as "ok they must be very very close to be using that sort of langage instead of the cautious wording they've used for years" is really fucking annoying and it's gets to me. I'm ready to just sit and wait (I think the fact I'm generally silent lately shows that a bit) and I don't get why we can't just do that now. I'm sorry