CPL General

This is going to be the 2nd interview, in the last 4 days, that CPL commissioner David Clanachan has mentioned the issue of broadcast. He keeps referring to traditional and non-traditional broadcast, and that the league is presently talking to all of them. Can someone here give a simple summary what exactly he means by this, and who possibly are the key players involved here (both in traditional and non-traditional broadcast)?

34 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

This is going to be the 2nd interview, in the last 4 days, that CPL commissioner David Clanachan has mentioned the issue of broadcast. He keeps referring to traditional and non-traditional broadcast, and that the league is presently talking to all of them. Can someone here give a simple summary what exactly he means by this, and who possibly are the key players involved here (both in traditional and non-traditional broadcast)?

I think he is basically talking about traditional  TSN, CBC tv networks. Non- traditional he talked a little about LAFC's streaming partnership just announced with Youtube. 

Might be way of base but I think what he is alluding to is looking at things like Twitch, Facebook, Amazon etc.. that are looking to get into the live sports game through streaming. But also emerging technologies which is beyond my knowledge base. I'd say maybe partnering with something that could provide a CPL app that livestreams to you phone, tv, computer, consoles. 

Satellite and cable companies are scratching and fighting off the resistance to change as they had such a great corner of the market. Inevitably everything is online now and tv is dying as we know it. It has to evolve to merge online, in my opinion. Those that hold monopolies are already major steps behind in that market though, which is why we might not have already seen better advances in TV.  Plenty of people with more knowledge that could comment better than me though. 

The latest episode of the Soc Takes podcast (the biggest NASL pocast) had a former FC Edmonton executive. They talked at length about the issues the team had and a potential revival for the CPL. 

The executive, whose name I'm forgetting, seemed pretty confident that Fath doesn't think Edmonton can support professional soccer.

3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

The latest episode of the Soc Takes podcast (the biggest NASL pocast) had a former FC Edmonton executive. They talked at length about the issues the team had and a potential revival for the CPL. 

The executive, whose name I'm forgetting, seemed pretty confident that Fath doesn't think Edmonton can support professional soccer.

That will be ignored by most on here, but should be a huge red flag as to whether the whole project is heading in a sensible direction given how well placed Tom Fath is by now to know what does and doesn't work in pro soccer terms.

Meanwhile in Calgary, the Foothills have a #CanPL tag on an announcement that their PDL schedule is out:

Talking about moving to a higher league is always a good way to generate interest. An announcement on a viable stadium solution and an investor would add more substance to it.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That will be ignored by most on here, but should be a huge red flag as to whether the whole project is heading in a sensible direction given how well placed Tom Fath is by now to know what does and doesn't work in pro soccer terms.

Having not heard the pod yet agreed it's interesting but I'm not going to judge and cry doom and gloom until I hear it the interview and see who the exec is.  If it's some exec from years ago, lots has changed.  Especially when you ignore the Jay Ball (quick look and seems to still be employed by the team) tweet on his meeting up with Edmonton CPL supporters the other night and his enthusiasm he showed there, while still being employed from everything I can see.  As always lots of things we don't know yet...

Edited by Rheo

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

I think he is basically talking about traditional  TSN, CBC tv networks. Non- traditional he talked a little about LAFC's streaming partnership just announced with Youtube. 

Might be way of base but I think what he is alluding to is looking at things like Twitch, Facebook, Amazon etc.. that are looking to get into the live sports game through streaming. But also emerging technologies which is beyond my knowledge base. I'd say maybe partnering with something that could provide a CPL app that livestreams to you phone, tv, computer, consoles. 

Satellite and cable companies are scratching and fighting off the resistance to change as they had such a great corner of the market. Inevitably everything is online now and tv is dying as we know it. It has to evolve to merge online, in my opinion. Those that hold monopolies are already major steps behind in that market though, which is why we might not have already seen better advances in TV.  Plenty of people with more knowledge that could comment better than me though. 

Thanx for the heads up. My buddy is expected to release an article on this subject. Very interesting. I do think that LAFC has given a major boost to this industry. Do you think eventually TSN or Sportsnet will sign a contract with the CPL in the coming months? Chances are that they may as Clanachan keeps pushing more-and-more the idea of a non-traditional broadcast, thus probably making the traditional networks feel that they may be left-out of the picture of the CPL if they don't move into the scene.

Edited by PJSweet

OK so realising my criticism of avg attendance estimations by some the CPL executives were misguided...because soccer like football and unlike hockey and basketball has less games so theoretically avg attendance will be higher if demand is roughly the same. If we take Paul Beirne's original estimate of 4500-5500 avg and assume he was basing this off a 10 game home schedule then it looks like a less ridiculous figure. At least purely from an avg attendance numbers point of view. This doesn't change cumulative total attendance (and ultimately total gate revenue). So the financial arguments still remain.

One positive thing that could help in terms of attendance is the games only being held on weekends (ie non-work/non-school nights). I really hope they avoid having mid-week games in order to maximise attendance.

I listened to Rocket Robins recording and it sounded like at one point Clanaghan said about traditional broadcast that in Canada there is only two. I guess that would imply he isn’t considering any TV stations that aren’t TSN or Sportsnet.

30 minutes ago, Kent said:

I listened to Rocket Robins recording and it sounded like at one point Clanaghan said about traditional broadcast that in Canada there is only two. I guess that would imply he isn’t considering any TV stations that aren’t TSN or Sportsnet.

No love for CBC? Really thought their free streaming platform would be ideal for CPL. CBC has very little soccer content and may allow for CPL to reach both cable folks and cord cutters. Personally don't have cable and have only watched hockey in the past 10 years either live (Hfx Mooseheads and the Sens), through CBC HNIC online streaming, or through other not so ethical online streaming means. CBC online streaming would be great for cheapo's like me.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Soccer Today either has James Easton on or will be talking about him (hard to tell from their tweet) 

https://sportspodcastingnetwork.com/soccer-today/

After listening to this podcast, I got a feeling that Duane Rollins is expressing some concerns that the CPL is not going ahead with a single-entity structure. Did anyone here get this feeling? Other than that, will it make sense to have a single-entity structure for at least the 1st 8 years of the league until the league solidifies its foundation?

Edited by PJSweet

3 hours ago, PJSweet said:

Thanx for the heads up. My buddy is expected to release an article on this subject. Very interesting. I do think that LAFC has given a major boost to this industry. Do you think eventually TSN or Sportsnet will sign a contract with the CPL in the coming months? Chances are that they may as Clanachan keeps pushing more-and-more the idea of a non-traditional broadcast, thus probably making the traditional networks feel that they may be left-out of the picture of the CPL if they don't move into the scene.

I think this point is important to consider with any piece of news you hear with respect to the CPL. As much as we love to hear all this stuff, alot of it is negotiating in public. Say something out loud, see how the people you're negotiating with react.

This is happening on a number of levels beyond broadcast.

@PJSweetI didn't take Rollins as being concerned about them going away from single entity.  He mentioned that he thought MLS would of put a path into independence if they had to do it again and that he looked forward, after the birth/stabilization of the league, to having dominant teams once they get away from the North American sports player control model and adapt to the European soccer style.  He just said that a lack of parody in the early years, before fans are fully invested in teams, had the potential to be damaging.  Now I was working and the stream was choppy so I might of missed something.  I'll check it out again later though.

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

@PJSweetI didn't take Rollins as being concerned about them going away from single entity.  He mentioned that he thought MLS would of put a path into independence if they had to do it again and that he looked forward, after the birth/stabilization of the league, to having dominant teams once they get away from the North American sports player control model and adapt to the European soccer style.  He just said that a lack of parody in the early years, before fans are fully invested in teams, had the potential to be damaging.  Now I was working and the stream was choppy so I might of missed something.  I'll check it out again later though.

Rheo, even at that, do you have some fears that probably we're ignoring the significance of the single-entity. Do you think that the single-entity should be there to address certain issues of the league? Case in point, wage control, all teams share the loses, allow the weak teams to build their foundation for at least the first 8 years of the league. 

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

Rheo, even at that, do you have some fears that probably we're ignoring the significance of the single-entity. Do you think that the single-entity should be there to address certain issues of the league? Case in point, wage control, all teams share the loses, allow the weak teams to build their foundation for at least the first 8 years of the league. 

So where will our referees come from?

https://the11.ca/canpl-v-p-james-ea...will-be-built-and-competition-will-be-shaped/

Easton’s portfolio is on-field activities, so that includes referees. Last year, CanPL president Paul Beirne suggested that fans will need to be patient with the Canadian crop of officials — that we’ll need to accept that some mistakes will be made.

“I think, initially, we’re going to take our lumps and learn from them,” he said. “We will improve on what we need to improve.”

Basically, Easton said we need to adopt a similar philosophy with developing officials as we do with developing players.

“The way to develop players is put them in new environments and then see how they can adapt, and how they can learn. It’s the same with our referees.”

7 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

No love for CBC? Really thought their free streaming platform would be ideal for CPL. CBC has very little soccer content and may allow for CPL to reach both cable folks and cord cutters. Personally don't have cable and have only watched hockey in the past 10 years either live (Hfx Mooseheads and the Sens), through CBC HNIC online streaming, or through other not so ethical online streaming means. CBC online streaming would be great for cheapo's like me.

I have advocated for CBC multiple times on here.  Coast to coast coverage. Free to all Canadians (yes, public funding, don't feel like debating that...).  Multiple platforms.  Ties to a federal Ministry mandated to promote Canadian content.  Lack of soccer offerings despite a solid history of sports broadcasting - at a time when footy is turning into solid core sports broadcasting content.  Et cetera.

I have no idea why this wouldn't be a viable option that isn't pursued.

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have advocated for CBC multiple times on here.  Coast to coast coverage. Free to all Canadians (yes, public funding, don't feel like debating that...).  Multiple platforms.  Ties to a federal Ministry mandated to promote Canadian content.  Lack of soccer offerings despite a solid history of sports broadcasting - at a time when footy is turning into solid core sports broadcasting content.  Et cetera.

I have no idea why this wouldn't be a viable option that isn't pursued.

Who said the league wasn't?

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Who said the league wasn't?

Maybe they are.  It just never seems to get mentioned in broadcasting discussions.  People advocate for the big 2 or some new streaming platform while omitting our massive public broadcaster.  Of course, it could just be the rum talking...

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe they are.  It just never seems to get mentioned in broadcasting discussions.  People advocate for the big 2 or some new streaming platform while omitting our massive public broadcaster.  Of course, it could just be the rum talking...

If they can make a deal with the CBC that makes sense, I'm sure they would do so. They're brand new. They'll be investigating everything!