CPL General

A hugely important rule. Imagine how much better the likes of Bustos, Froese, Mckendry etc. ad nauseaum could have been developed just at the whitecaps if the MLS had such a rule. 

All makes sense. I was thinking an initial type of expansion draft of players needs to happen for the first year or two or players assigned to make it fair to start. I like the clubs being given free reign to manage later. That said I have grown to like the N.American system of Cap space which I think will be a growing bonus for leagues like the MLS and hopefully CPL.

So many people are getting turned off by the disparity in the EPL which looks to only be increasing. While the richer clubs will always find ways to bend rules like in the MLS I think long term if EPL and other European leagues keep their trajectory fans will be drawn to real home grown, home support and fairer level playing field leagues. 

Hopefully with CPL coming in there's higher motivation for clubs to try to differentiate and get to a higher level, if it becomes clear that doing so earns relationships with local pro clubs”

(from @Complete Homer, quoting not working on my iPad right now”)

Plus if the CPL teams would be willing to put a team in their local league like TFC then that is less teams needed to find.

And another important initiative I think is the expanded Voyageurs Cup. Let’s support the hell out of the games involving D3 teams to show it can be a revenue generator!

17 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

“Initially, I can see that there will be some kind of mechanism that will help allocate players to our teams,” said Easton. “And then, potentially eight to nine years down the road, it will be up to the individual teams to work out how they will get players.”

As we do, I started thinking too much about this part. I wonder if that 8 to 9 years is his estimation for there being some stability in the league, or if perhaps he thinks it would be done expanding by then (either at 16 teams and then growing the Canadian Deuxieme League, or just settling on something like 10 or 12 teams and not having any more viable cities in the foreseeable future).

My only point being, if expansion happens slower than he thinks, I wonder if this will stretch on and on. Not that I care a whole lot if we keep a draft.

Just now, ChrisinOrleans said:

I grew up in Sarnia. I hope there is not a team located there.

That place is literally the worst. 

Given the fact that there's never been a word about Sarnia anywhere before, the population is way below the stated number that they're looking at and the fact that it is Sarnia in general, I feel pretty safe in saying it isn't team related.  My guess would be crossing the border either coming from or going to the US since he took the pic of the bridge there or it's marketing related. Lots of oil companies there as potential sponsors/partners.

2 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I grew up in Sarnia. I hope there is not a team located there.

That place is literally the worst. 

Think southwestern Ontario has worse to offer than Sarnia in terms of residential locations. In days gone by a lot of the countryside around London seemed more than a little bit backward judging from how they were less than keen on visiting soccer teams that were a lot more multicultural than they were used to. Sarnia never seemed that bad to me, although the whole chemical valley angle is probably best avoided. Seems a bit bizarre that Roy Nasrala would be visiting the Bluewater Bridge given the population can't be much more than 100,000 even with Port Huron factored in, but "New Day, New City" suggests Sarnia is part of the 12-15. Guess they still get a visit out of courtesy, if that's the case. Norm Perry Park where Bluewater used to play could have been a contender in pop-up terms, but after googling it looks like it has marked fieldturf now:

NormPerryDowntown_Photocredit_Grafiks.jp

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I've got the audio from today's (February 1st 11:00am) Q & A between Dr Nick Bontis and CPL commissioner David Clanachan held at McMaster University.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/CPLF0118.htm   

number of teams, meetings with supporter groups, MLS operations, broadcasting possibilities, players, the league ten years from now, relegation and promotion (including how could you relegate an owner who's invested millions?) , equitable (ie women's league in future), how to attract foreign players, advice for sports exec wannabe's (this was mostly a student address).  Canadian content AND young player rules etc.  

I'll post some pictures and some more comments tomorrow.  

20 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

I've got the audio from today's (February 1st 11:00am) Q & A between Dr Nick Bontis and CPL commissioner David Clanachan held at McMaster University.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/CPLF0118.htm   

number of teams, meetings with supporter groups, MLS operations, broadcasting possibilities, players, the league ten years from now, relegation and promotion (including how could you relegate an owner who's invested millions?) , equitable (ie women's league in future), how to attract foreign players, advice for sports exec wannabe's (this was mostly a student address).  Canadian content AND young player rules etc.  

I'll post some pictures and some more comments tomorrow.  

did it play through or does it cut off at 4 minutes?  

Commish specially mentions a team in the “greater Montreal area” when discussing the possibility of teams in MLS towns. Interesting.

He also refers to FC Edmonton as Edmonton FC and the CONCACAF Champions League as the League of Nations, get it right David!

Mentions a “digital broadcast company that doesn’t even exist in Canada today... that sees this opportunity as a way to break into the market.”

Edited by BuzzAndSting

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Commish specially mentions a team in the “greater Montreal area” when discussing the possibility of teams in MLS towns. Interesting.

He also refers to FC Edmonton as Edmonton FC and the CONCACAF Champions League as the League of Nations, get it right David!

Mentions a “digital broadcast company that doesn’t even exist in Canada today... that sees this opportunity as a way to break into the market.”

I haven’t listened yet but maybe he meant CONCACAF League rather than CCL (which would be a bit more forgivable mistake to make in the name).

As for the digital broadcast company, maybe YouTube TV who just announced they are the local broadcaster for LAFC and they don’t yet have their service available in Canada.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

I haven’t listened yet but maybe he meant CONCACAF League rather than CCL (which would be a bit more forgivable mistake to make in the name).

As for the digital broadcast company, maybe YouTube TV who just announced they are the local broadcaster for LAFC and they don’t yet have their service available in Canada.

No, he was referring to Champions League, they were talking about TFC’s upcoming game.

And no it’s not YouTube, he referenced the LAFC deal and then he mentioned it was a European company they’d met with.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

9 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

No, he was referring to Champions League, they were talking about TFC’s upcoming game.

And no it’s not YouTube, he referenced the LAFC deal and then he mentioned it was a European company they’d met with.

Maybe after they win the League of Nations, TFC can go on to win the World Cup.