CPL General

1 minute ago, matty said:

Hmmmm I guess as long as you are sending him pictures of yourself with a mannequin with Roy's face taped to it everything you're doing is fine

Not doing that lol.  Besides can it really be called stalking when the person creates a hashtag for themself 

I'm really liking the buzz around a team in Québec getting off the ground. 

https://viaupark.ca/2018/01/29/cap-diamant-supporter-une-equipe-qui-nexiste-pas/ 

I also really like that they have a "tracker" for Québécois playing overseas or out of country. 

It's simply stellar to see some content in French for this league.   

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There is only one entrant for Canada, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica and Panama in the new CCL format. If the Voyageurs Cup remains the pathway to that then CCL opportunities may be few and far between.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League#New_CONCACAF_competition_platform_(2018–_)

The new CONCACAF league is where there may be scope for more Canadian participation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_CONCACAF_League

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_CONCACAF_League

and the winner of that gets into the CCL the following year.

I agree that CONCACAF League is the more likely entry point for a CPL champion, and I'd love to see that. The teams in that competition will be more beatable than the CCL proper which has more than half of it filled by MLS and Liga MX teams. Thats a much more reasonable challenge to start out with for CPL.

Plus I am hopeful that there will be a sort of pro/rel between CONCACAF League and CCL based on the points system they are using for CCL seeding this year. If my suspicion is correct then if we can get good enough results some day in CONCACAF League then that spot could potentially become a CCL spot, and maybe some day after that another spot could be opened up to us.

Note: My reason for thinking there is evidence to suggest there could be promotion/relegation of spots between the two competitions is because of the way the points are calculated. You get points for a win, draw, advancing to the next round, winning the championship, and for some reason everybody gets 4 points each year they participate. That seems like a bit of an equalizer so they can use the same points system (minus the 4 free points) in the CONCACAF League. The 4 points going to the CCL teams because of the more difficult games. I really, really hope I'm right about this, and hopefully they'll announce something before the 2018 CONCACAF League takes place.

Edit: Hmm, I've thought of a snag for CONCACAF to overcome. How do they handle points for the CONCACAF League champion? Currently they have a table with the champions listed (0 points so far since this is the first time the slot has existed), but it seems a bit unfair for example if Olimpia goes on a great run in the CCL that the points go to the CONCACAF League champion slot, rather than helping the slot that they played under in the CONCACAF League. If they are considering this pro/rel of slots, it will be interesting to see how they sort that out.

Edited by Kent

34 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Haven't seen any mentions but do you think there will be a draft? Will it include OUA and CIS players? 

No mention so far that I saw. Will be interesting to see what they decide and how clubs handle it. 

You would imagine they might do a somewhat even player draft for squads but lets say Ottawa is in the CPL as is they will blow pretty much every team away with their current squad. How would all the other teams catch up? Would all/any interested players of all ages be included in a draft and exclude Ottawa or would it be a free for all to fill your squads? I think a CIS draft might well be an annual thing, it makes sense on all levels. 

It has been mentioned they probably won't go the MLS route where the CPL will manage/own signings it will be more like europe where the clubs look after themselves.  

Nothing concrete so far though on any of this, that I saw anyway.

More at:

http://canpl.ca/article/james-easton-named-head-of-soccer-operations-for-the-canadian-premier-league

• As Vice President of Soccer Operations for the CPL, Easton is responsible for all on-field matters including competition standards, player management and development, officiating and scheduling. He will work closely with regulatory groups to ensure all aspects of the CPL are in full compliance to FIFA, CONCACAF and Canada Soccer standards.

• Easton holds an MBA in Executive Management from Royal Roads University and was previously the head coach of the Capilano University men’s soccer team.
Edited by Ansem

13 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

First order of VP Easton: all CPL teams are immediately dissolved and will be replaced by D3 teams.

Have to figure he's going to find a way to connect Ontario CPL teams to League 1 Ontario either through reserve teams or partnerships with existing teams.

same goes for Quebec

as for the rest of the country, uhhhhhhhh......

22 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Have to figure he's going to find a way to connect Ontario CPL teams to League 1 Ontario either through reserve teams or partnerships with existing teams.

same goes for Quebec

as for the rest of the country, uhhhhhhhh......

I'm really disappointed in the CSA for failing to push nation-wide D3 leagues.  Should've been done ages ago.

Another excellent hire, though I think it's been said (Footysoldiers?) that he's been involved along the way for a while

36 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm really disappointed in the CSA for failing to push nation-wide D3 leagues.  Should've been done ages ago.

Isn't it provincial jurisdiction? I imagine there's only so much they can do, especially considering there seems to be limited in BC where they tried and failed 

Hopefully with CPL coming in there's higher motivation for clubs to try to differentiate and get to a higher level, if it becomes clear that doing so earns relationships with local pro clubs

Edited by Complete Homer

40 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Perhaps that's why CPL has started to talk about CPL III. With the CSA being a shareholder, they might use CPL as a "F it, we'll do it ourselves". You can't force the provinces to do it themselves, so you do it for them.

It's clear that outside of Ontario and Quebec, the other provinces have no clue

Edited by Ansem

6 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Some interesting takeaways.

But, the league is discussing not only the minimum numbers of Canadians a team will need to have, but those minimums could be age-based, as well. Easton said the CanPL is looking at the Mexican example, where teams are required to give U-20 nationals a required amount of playing time — such as a minimum of 1,000 first-team minutes for U-20 domestic players.

Easton said the CanPL is in preliminary discussions with League1 Ontario and the PLSQ to work on a player pathway.

As well, preliminary discussions have been held with U Sports, about the possibility of a draft that involves players from Canadian universities. Remember that John Smits, a former NASL Gold Glove winner, and NASL Best XI alumnus Paul Hamilton came through the Canadian university system.

“Initially, I can see that there will be some kind of mechanism that will help allocate players to our teams,” said Easton. “And then, potentially eight to nine years down the road, it will be up to the individual teams to work out how they will get players.”

57 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Some interesting takeaways.

But, the league is discussing not only the minimum numbers of Canadians a team will need to have, but those minimums could be age-based, as well. Easton said the CanPL is looking at the Mexican example, where teams are required to give U-20 nationals a required amount of playing time — such as a minimum of 1,000 first-team minutes for U-20 domestic players.

I'm a big fan of this rule, at least at first glance. It avoids rules that mandate a specific # of starters (I find that cheesy and it can handcuff managers) and isn't very onerous, but it provides that inside edge that young players need to break a line up

Think of it this way. Across a 20 game season, 1000 minutes is either one U20 player averaging 50 minutes (rotational player), or two U20 players averaging 25 minutes (frequently used substitutes). It mandates that a few kids get their foot in the door of the first team each year without having a huge impact on competitiveness 

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

Isn't it provincial jurisdiction? I imagine there's only so much they can do, especially considering there seems to be limited in BC where they tried and failed 

Hopefully with CPL coming in there's higher motivation for clubs to try to differentiate and get to a higher level, if it becomes clear that doing so earns relationships with local pro clubs

The CSA brushing it aside as "provincial jurisdiction" is all well and good, but them dumping it on the provinces' plates and walking away isn't leadership - it's washing your hands of the problem.  The lack of leadership (or interest) from the CSA regarding D3 leagues is especially concerning when they were supposedly the way forward when the Easton Report was released.

Has the CSA tried to work with the provinces to support any of these leagues, or have they just sat on their hands and hoped that someone else was going to build the game for them?

7 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm a big fan of this rule, at least at first glance. It avoids rules that mandate a specific # of starters (I find that cheesy and it can handcuff managers) and isn't very onerous, but it provides that inside edge that young players need to break a line up

Think of it this way. Across a 20 game season, 1000 minutes is either one U20 player averaging 50 minutes (rotational player), or two U20 players averaging 25 minutes (frequently used substitutes). It mandates that a few kids get their foot in the door of the first team each year without having a huge impact on competitiveness 

You definitely notice that the Mexican U20s have several players with dozens of professional appearances, while we send out youth and college players. It would be a nice change!

13 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

The CSA brushing it aside as "provincial jurisdiction" is all well and good, but them dumping it on the provinces' plates and walking away isn't leadership - it's washing your hands of the problem.  The lack of leadership (or interest) from the CSA regarding D3 leagues is especially concerning when they were supposedly the way forward when the Easton Report was released.

Has the CSA tried to work with the provinces to support any of these leagues, or have they just sat on their hands and hoped that someone else was going to build the game for them?

Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm not sure what support can the CSA lend? They seem to have a reasonable surplus these days, but I don't think its enough to subsidize men's and women's D3 programs across the country, and it's not very clear how sustainable their surplus is.

If it's regulatory support, I'm still not really sure what they could do. Threaten to desanction clubs that don't volunteer to form standards based leagues?

Edited by Complete Homer

19 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

They will have that opportunity in the CCL anyway. 

Don't forget that knowledgeable fans will understand that we are the new guys but the less than knowledgeable general public, to whom tickets must be sold, will be much more fickle and less understanding. 

True, but outside fans would be wondering why an tier 1 league is mainly playing tier 2 leagues. Let's not get it twisted and think that new fans can utilize the internet to research more about CPL and other leagues how would they feel finding out that CPL isn't even playing against better competition...

Anyways yes obviously they'll get their shot in CL...