CPL General

43 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Things that stood out to me from the Mike Richards interview with the Commish

-multiple Glass Tiger references!!!!!!!!

-lot of the same lines, has the talking points down good

-officially three more "expressions of interest" since his press work started the last couple of weeks

-deftly dancing around cities and numbers for southern Ontario

-mentioned how owners are being "creative" in looking at stadium situations, and mentioned modular stadiums that can grow with the league and level of play

-he says "great question" a whole lot before answering (not just here)

-was asked to define difference between commish and president and then interviewer joked and never got answered.  One critique I would have was the interviewers had too much of their philosophy/thoughts and lack of questions.

-talked about traditional broadcasting options that are out there "and we're talking to them" and non-traditional broadcasting options "that are pursuing them as well"  (there you go @matty)

-mentioned names, had discussions internally and don't want a bunch of generic "United" and "FC"s.  Talked about a team of individuals (4-5, including head of marketing, assuming Roy but not named and a videographer) meeting with supporters across the country and clubs, having dialogue to give them input.  Promised they will be different giving the teams "identities that make sense and the community will be proud of" 

-asked about different rules (ie XFL) and will follow FIFA model, no playoffs.  That would set them up for pro/rel if it goes that way in the future.

Bold A: Yay

Bold B: Yay

Bold C: Ugh I hate that language. It's like when NASL said they would follow the international model, there is no real model (the US, Mexico, Australia, Colombia, Uruguay and various other places use play-offs, the World Cup and CLs all use them). It's really just feels like "here you go Euro snobs!". Also curious to see how well single-table goes without pro/rel or even playoffs. NOTE: this is only if HE put it this way (you might just have used it yourself)

Edited by matty

12 hours ago, ktf said:

That article on Halifax is interesting in many ways. Most notably the pop-up stadium being rented for 10 home games. Possibly a 20 game season?

That makes a lot of sense because its single table no playoffs. so home and away vs each team and then cup games. 

46 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

I'd actually prefer a match-up that would be more competitive. USL Champs vs CPL Champs. 

No way CPL supposed to be a D1 league for Canada it would have to be MLS champ if anything. Even if CPL loses for next decade at least it would be exposed to more views compared to USL. Anyways can't wait for solid news on teams and whatnot.

56 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

I'd actually prefer a match-up that would be more competitive. USL Champs vs CPL Champs. 

Why? If it was going to be international it should be against MLS if anything don't ya think? D1 vs D1

9 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

No way CPL supposed to be a D1 league for Canada it would have to be MLS champ if anything. Even if CPL loses for next decade at least it would be exposed to more views compared to USL. Anyways can't wait for solid news on teams and whatnot.

Yep. I only really bring it up between CPL and VCup because I like the idea of a traditional domestic Super Cup over an international one.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Why? If it was going to be international it should be against MLS if anything don't ya think? D1 vs D1

Yep. I only really bring it up between CPL and VCup because I like the idea of a traditional domestic Super Cup over an international one.

The key word is "supposed". I think "realistic" is a good word. CPL will not, in its early years, be anywhere near MLS quality. That's just a fact. Budgets won't allow for it. 

I don't want the CPL champion potentially being made to look foolish against a Toronto FC. Give it a few years and then we can talk again once the league has established itself. We don't need any early credibility fails.  

7 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

The key word is "supposed". I think "realistic" is a good word. CPL will not, in its early years, be anywhere near MLS quality. That's just a fact. Budgets won't allow for it. 

I don't want the CPL champion potentially being made to look foolish against a Toronto FC. Give it a few years and then we can talk again once the league has established itself. We don't need any early credibility fails.  

Fair enough. I'm talking down the line once everything is stable, so at least 5 years out (MLS and Liga MX started the SuperLiga up little over a decade after MLS's founding so in the current climate it happening quicker feels plausible). Once everything gets where it should be doing something like a Super Cup would be nice to see especially if it was for charity.

Edited by matty

7 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

Probably best to just give it a while before doing any kind of game billed as a showdown of league champions. It's a high risk, low reward scenario on the PR front. If you beat the USL team, all you did was beat a USL team. If you lose...you just lost to an American minor league team. Ouch. I also agree that risking getting pummeled by TFC wouldn't do much for them either

I think the talking point they seem to have adopted towards the MLS teams is perfect. Mild praise for what they've done for the game, throw in the a quick remark reminding the listener that it's an American league, then move on. Dwelling on comparisons won't do them any favours.

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

Probably best to just give it a while before doing any kind of game billed as a showdown of league champions. It's a high risk, low reward scenario on the PR front. If you beat the USL team, all you did was beat a USL team. If you lose...you just lost to an American minor league team. Ouch. I also agree that risking getting pummeled by TFC wouldn't do much for them either

I disagree in theory. I think if it was say a charity game at the start of the year it would be a nice little piece of PR for both sides and offers reasonable excuse for loss or using a weaker side. On top of that we're already going to have CPL vs. MLS games in the Canadian Championship tournament so a pummeling isn't something that can be avoid by any means other than team performance. I do think it's a down the line thing for sure but I don't think it should be seen as dangerous for the league.

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I think the talking point they seem to have adopted towards the MLS teams is perfect. Mild praise for what they've done for the game, throw in the a quick remark reminding the listener that it's an American league, then move on. Dwelling on comparisons won't do them any favours.

110% agree, they're handling this right.

9 minutes ago, matty said:

I disagree in theory. I think if it was say a charity game at the start of the year it would be a nice little piece of PR for both sides and offers reasonable excuse for loss or using a weaker side. On top of that we're already going to have CPL vs. MLS games in the Canadian Championship tournament so a pummeling isn't something that can be avoid by any means other than team performance. I do think it's a down the line thing for sure but I don't think it should be seen as dangerous for the league.

Fair enough, I guess it's all in the way you market the game. Still, for those purposes it's probably better to just seek out the USL team with the highest name recognition than to seek out the champion

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Fair enough, I guess it's all in the way you market the game. Still, for those purposes it's probably better to just seek out the USL team with the highest name recognition than to seek out the champion

For warm up friendlies yes but for something along these lines no. Just for optics and drawing power, USL would be no good here.

Only top tier soccer will do for this fantasy :P

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, dbailey62 said:

Well look at MLS vs Mexican league... MLS barely win these games and even if they aren't they're getting closer and closer each year at some point more wins will come for MLS. 

I would rather see CPL teams face off against MLS teams and maybe even teams from the Mexican league. I don't think I would be invested in CPL if they play against USL/NASL teams. It would make me think the CPL is mediocre and it would be disappointing. I think of this when CPL team beat an MLS team it would be sweeter compared to USL/NASL teams. Anyways no matter CPL winner will be in the Champions League.

37 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Well look at MLS vs Mexican league... MLS barely win these games and even if they aren't they're getting closer and closer each year at some point more wins will come for MLS. 

I would rather see CPL teams face off against MLS teams and maybe even teams from the Mexican league. I don't think I would be invested in CPL if they play against USL/NASL teams. It would make me think the CPL is mediocre and it would be disappointing. I think of this when CPL team beat an MLS team it would be sweeter compared to USL/NASL teams. Anyways no matter CPL winner will be in the Champions League.

How will a slaughter at the hands of a Mexican league team make you feel?

Edited by dbailey62

3 hours ago, matty said:

Bold C: Ugh I hate that language. It's like when NASL said they would follow the international model, there is no real model (the US, Mexico, Australia, Colombia, Uruguay and various other places use play-offs, the World Cup and CLs all use them). It's really just feels like "here you go Euro snobs!". Also curious to see how well single-table goes without pro/rel or even playoffs. NOTE: this is only if HE put it this way (you might just have used it yourself)

Yeah, I didn’t listen to the podcast, but hopefully that was a separate (somewhat related) point. We will use FIFA rules (unlike early days MLS or original NASL) and we also won’t have playoffs.

As for the concern of having no playoffs, I share that a bit too, but on the plus side it would allow us to maximize the playable part of the year weather-wise. Why only have half your teams playing (and less and less) when you could have all of them playing. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. More games, but the stakes arguably aren’t getting raised at the end of the season.

22 minutes ago, Kent said:

As for the concern of having no playoffs, I share that a bit too, but on the plus side it would allow us to maximize the playable part of the year weather-wise. Why only have half your teams playing (and less and less) when you could have all of them playing. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. More games, but the stakes arguably aren’t getting raised at the end of the season.

Yea I do find it a bit weird that they seem to be playing up the beautiful drama of pro-rel but seem to favour a model (for at least several years) that is devoid of most drama

Edited by matty

19 minutes ago, matty said:

Yea I do find it a bit weird that they seem to be playing up the beautiful drama of pro-rel but seem to favour a model (for at least several years) that is devoid of most drama

Maybe it will be a 4 game season so the championship is within reach for most teams in the last game or two:)

1 hour ago, dbailey62 said:

How will a slaughter at the hands of a Mexican league team make you feel?

It will be alright, because I would know it's a new league. I understand CPL teams may have to play D2/3 teams, but if comes to playing high stake games it can't be D2/3 teams. I want to see CPL play against other tier 1 leagues in ConCaCaf. Will it be fun to watch a slaughter maybe not, but I am going to be thinking about the future on how the league will grow to the point that it won't happen again and to the point CPL teams will win these games. I want CPL vs the best teams... 

Would it not be more disheartening to see our D1 teams play USL teams or other D2/3 teams? I feel it would defeat the purpose of CPL in the first place. 

4 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

It will be alright, because I would know it's a new league. I understand CPL teams may have to play D2/3 teams, but if comes to playing high stake games it can't be D2/3 teams. I want to see CPL play against other tier 1 leagues in ConCaCaf. Will it be fun to watch a slaughter maybe not, but I am going to be thinking about the future on how the league will grow to the point that it won't happen again and to the point CPL teams will win these games. I want CPL vs the best teams... 

Would it not be more disheartening to see our D1 teams play USL teams or other D2/3 teams? I feel it would defeat the purpose of CPL in the first place. 

They will have that opportunity in the CCL anyway. 

Don't forget that knowledgeable fans will understand that we are the new guys but the less than knowledgeable general public, to whom tickets must be sold, will be much more fickle and less understanding. 

3 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

They will have that opportunity in the CCL anyway....

There is only one entrant for Canada, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica and Panama in the new CCL format. If the Voyageurs Cup remains the pathway to that then CCL opportunities may be few and far between.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League#New_CONCACAF_competition_platform_(2018–_)

The new CONCACAF league is where there may be scope for more Canadian participation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_CONCACAF_League

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_CONCACAF_League

and the winner of that gets into the CCL the following year.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard